logo
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
I’ve run into several ignitions that are rated 7.8 to 12v and that doesn’t work with my A123 batteries. One extreme to the other. I like the ones that say 6 - 12v.
Yup.....I tried the GP ignition (GP 176) with my onboard A123's through a Tech-Aero IBEC......kicked back so hard it threw my start/stick 30' & ruined a 32" prop......just cough/up another $85.00 for a RCexl ignition & the issue goes away.....
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
I have a GP 123, I run 2S lipo I had an original Tech Aero feeding it 6.6V it never kicked back always started easily. I probably prevented kick back running 100LL avgas. I purchased the new HV TA IBEC and running it now on 8V, it may be my imagination but engine seems to run a little better.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 06-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Yup.....I tried the GP ignition (GP 176) with my onboard A123's through a Tech-Aero IBEC......kicked back so hard it threw my start/stick 30' & ruined a 32" prop......just cough/up another $85.00 for a RCexl ignition & the issue goes away.....
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-04-2019, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
One step closer towards a move to 12v flight systems. For years the standard was 4 cell nicads at 4.8v. Then we all went to 5 cells at 6.0v. Next was the move to LiIon and Life at 6.6 volts. Then 2S lipos at 7.4-8.4 volts. Already 12 volt servos are coming out and I'm seeing receivers and ignitions rated at 12 volts. In a couple of years we will all be running 3S lipos on everything at 11.1 volts then it is only a matter of time before people push that to 14.8v 4s systems.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
High voltage low amps is always the way to go.

BUT... to many things are still only 6 volt compaitble...
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 06-05-2019, 05:31 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I have a GP 123, I run 2S lipo I had an original Tech Aero feeding it 6.6V it never kicked back always started easily. I probably prevented kick back running 100LL avgas. I purchased the new HV TA IBEC and running it now on 8V, it may be my imagination but engine seems to run a little better.

Rite that will work for you,because you will never fall below 6.6.I just don't like the special care needed for lipos and the risk of fire.The majority of members at my club fly electric and the majority have had a fire.Some due to chargers not shutting off,others never new why.Hell I probably voided the two year warranty,just for switching ignitions,after reading the manual.I don't know why GP just doesn't use a ignition rated for 6-12 volts.One more complaint is both mufflers have a pin hole leak in the bead of weld at the manifold flange.
closetguy is online now Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 06-05-2019, 05:36 AM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
Rite that will work for you,because you will never fall below 6.6.I just don't like the special care needed for lipos and the risk of fire.The majority of members at my club fly electric and the majority have had a fire.Some due to chargers not shutting off,others never new why.Hell I probably voided the two year warranty,just for switching ignitions,after reading the manual.I don't know why GP just doesn't use a ignition rated for 6-12 volts.One more complaint is both mufflers have a pin hole leak in the bead of weld at the manifold flange.
I won't bother with an engine that kicks back - not good. I know one guy that has an older engine (non GP) and struggles constantly with it. Got his finger a couple times - fortunately not serious, threw his starter stick off quite a distance and so on.
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Old 06-05-2019, 05:41 AM
Find More Posts by guldukat
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Statham
Joined Apr 2015
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
It's not your imagination. 3 of us at our clubs with the GP's have removed the older TA completely and gone to a direct 2S lipo or the newer HV TA for the same reason. The engine definitely run a little better.
guldukat is offline Find More Posts by guldukat
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-05-2019, 06:39 AM
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
On the positive side when I change ignitions and check the timing it was dead nuts on 30* BTDC and had room to adjust either way.Engine seems to run fine at factory settings,going to get some flights in before twisting the needles.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Can you get a discount if you delete the supplied ignition and "mufflers"?
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 06-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Has anyone notice how much the used DA70's have drop in price sense the GP has hit the streets.
There was a time a used DA would sell in hours the first day for 700 bucks.Now they set for a while at 600,and there are more showing up everyday for sale.
I'll be the first to omit that I pulled a perfectly good running DA off and replaced it with a GP just to see how they compared to DA.I must say it was a direct bolt on replacement for the DA,standoffs and mounting bolt pattern,exhaust exit tubes all were the same.It did weigh more,my scales showed a 4ozs. more for the GP.That was with both engines with mufflers.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
The GP seems to be a great engine. For me, I’ll gladly give up a few hundred rpm to have DA’s support.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 06-08-2019, 07:44 PM
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
You know for me I didn't give up any rpm's,at lease I think.My DA will do 7450 with a falcon 24-9.Seems that some will do around 7250,I guess it's just the luck of the draw.I haven't even got a flight on mine due to weather,and to new to bother with a rpm reading,just two tanks of fuel.
Time will tell if the 76 will be like the 123 or turn out like the 61.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:17 AM
XPS
Find More Posts by XPS
XPS
CEO/Mad Scientist
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Mar 2015
379 Posts
It seems that the GP123 ignitions need at least 7.0 volts for them to work reliably. This is based on information from our customers. We have changed several X24's so that they output either 5.0v or 7.0v (instead of 6.0v) just for these applications.
XPS is offline Find More Posts by XPS
Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by Jackdl
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Oct 2012
228 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to adapt a DA 70 two into one header to the GP 76?
Jackdl is offline Find More Posts by Jackdl

Quick Reply