logo
Old 02-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts
ZDZ 80rv Fuel Tank.....

Hey Guys, need a little help deciding on the proper fuel tank for my ZDZ 80. I am using it in a 30% plane, but will be running smoke with it and dont want to make it less efficient for the sake of weight. should I use the 24oz that was supplied with the plane or go bigger for more run time? Thanks for your help!!!
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by plaster93
Churchville , Pa U.S.A.
Joined Jan 2006
1,213 Posts
Re: ZDZ 80rv Fuel Tank.....

I'd use the 24oz,should be plenty for atleast 15 min. of run time.I use a 32oz. in a 33% with the zdz 80 and get over 20 min.
plaster93 is offline Find More Posts by plaster93
Old 02-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

I have my 80 with a 32oz tank. Flying 3D, I fly 15 mins and still come down with a half of a tank. Flying IMAC at higher power levels more often, I burn a bit more. But I rarely come down with less than a 1/3 tank left. 24oz should be fine, just watch your flight times for the first few flights when you have the engine set a little rich, just to be on the safe side.
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 02-24-2006, 09:37 PM
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaster93
I'd use the 24oz,should be plenty for atleast 15 min. of run time.I use a 32oz. in a 33% with the zdz 80 and get over 20 min.
Thanks Plaster, i was hoping to hear that. , I plan on getting a 33% next and hope to use this ZDZ 80 for it and then maybe I will jump to a 32oz....

Mr John Banks, You dont know how popular you are in my household, My 1 1/2 year old son loves the Vid of yours with your comp arf extra from the FC days. Nicely done my friend!! Thanks for the advice on the Tank ( no pun intended) I will have the confidence now flying on my 24oz and will bring it down as you suggest to check its level the first few flights.. Much apprieciated!!!

John C.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:25 AM
Find More Posts by SMOKEY
United States, MA, West Bridgewater
Joined Jan 2006
437 Posts

I had a 24 oz tank on my 80 while it was breaking in. I could not get more than 10 min on it. Dead stick a few times. I say you can use the 24 oz tank but keep the flights short while the engine is breaking in. After that i see no problems flying more than 10 min. if you are not always using high trottle.

Smokey
SMOKEY is offline Find More Posts by SMOKEY
Old 02-25-2006, 08:01 AM
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts

Hey Smokey, I was intending to bring her down around 5-8 minutes the first several flights and check the fuel consumption, but know I wonder if I should put a 10oz reserve tank in so I can use it at my leasure, i do intend on doing some hard 3d'n on this bird and this will give me peace of mind( I hate dead sticken) what you dont want, hovering off the ground. Thanks.

John C.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:59 AM
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

My recommendation, for the first flight, take it up for 5 mins (thats about all I ever do on an opening maident usually) bring it down, make sure everything is still tight! And check your fuel consumption, Youll get a good idea of how much your gonna burn. The only time I ever burned almost all of my 32oz tank was down at the Joe Nall, doing warbird passes down the runway with my 2.6 at full tilt... for about 10-15 minutes. Other than that, the 80 is miserly on fuel. Also, dont let it run too rich. I started with the recommended 1.5 turns out on each needle, which was ok, but rich enough that it shook a little, I leaned it down a little bit after a few tanks, just to smooth it out a bit. Hope that info helps!

BTW, thanks for the props on the video!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:08 PM
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts

Thanks for all the advice!!! I will let you know my results.. I discovered that the location for my tank will only accept a 24oz anyway, so I will be extra carefull on my first few flights. I wish they had some type of auxillary fuel gauge because my tank is in an area that will be hard to see the amount of fuel left. I will have to make some lightning holes and use a mirror. Look forward to more of your vids!!The song played with your extra video helped put my son to sleep for several months...( he also knows the difference between aircaft) Thanks.

John C.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by JeremyHolt
Kickin it OLD SCHOOL
Shreveport LA
Joined Jan 2006
903 Posts

Hey have any of you guys heard of any one putting a zdz 80 on that 100inch QQ Yak?
JeremyHolt is offline Find More Posts by JeremyHolt
Old 02-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by SMOKEY
United States, MA, West Bridgewater
Joined Jan 2006
437 Posts

JeremyHolt

I don't see why you can't use a ZDZ 80 on the QQ yak. The manual said it weighed 26lbs plus with a 3W twin. The 80 is around 2lbs less. So your down to 24lbs. I dont know if the plane is tail heavy so you might need nose weight. The plane on my avatar had an 80 in it. 27lbs 7oz with ALOT of lightening. Flew the plane real well. Not unlimited on pullout like a 100cc would but plenty of power for alot of other stuff.

Smokey
SMOKEY is offline Find More Posts by SMOKEY
Old 02-25-2006, 11:18 PM
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Perhaps the super 80 would be a good combo. My 80 pulls my 2.6m extra around real well. And I know of a gentlemen that put the 80 in a 2.6m Yak and liked it as well.

Quick Reply