logo
Old 03-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,515 Posts
Let's see your fieldbox!

Alright, I've been to a bunch of events, and have seen some of pretty sweet field charging setups. Some guys have made custom "through the wall" plugs for multi-battery chargers in ammo cases, while others just plop open their boxes to expose 50+ lipo packs ready to roll!

Personally, I just bought myself a dynamite power converter along with a 4 port hobbico charger to get them things all charged fast! What do you got? Let's see some shots!
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts
Re: Let's see your fieldbox!

Max, I am copying the Field Box from Hell(aka Billy Hell aka Jim T. Graham). Its a big tub from Walmart or Home Depot with wheels and a handle. Battery and fuel go in the bottom. Charger and ports,fuel fittings all go through the box. So the box is one stop shopping with tools in top of it too!
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 03-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by mikeyj86
United States, GA, Guyton
Joined Jan 2006
552 Posts

I could use some ideas for a field box set-up
mikeyj86 is offline Find More Posts by mikeyj86
Old 03-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/THE_..._167247/tm.htm
Old 03-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by Rob B
The Huckster
Joined Jan 2006
197 Posts

Here my fieldbox for my smaller planes. complete with a fuel jug topper for a manual pump and glow battery caddy. And another caddy for glue, ball drivers, and a few tools.
Rob B is offline Find More Posts by Rob B
Old 03-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,515 Posts

Fieldboxes for electrics!! Chargers, etc.. What are you guys using?! Sweet setup though Rob!
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Old 03-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by ShortBus
Workin' the pole
Hopewell Jct, NY
Joined Jan 2006
4,483 Posts

I have this kick ass car battery, and alligator clips on my charger
ShortBus is offline Find More Posts by ShortBus
Old 03-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by Rob B
The Huckster
Joined Jan 2006
197 Posts

thanks max..... heres what i use for electrics..... It's a design rip off from great planes electric box, but I made my own version of it so i can do what i wanted with the size, design etc.... I just like doing woodwork!!
Rob B is offline Find More Posts by Rob B
Old 03-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts

Hey Max, wait to you see my custom charging set up... Just need to wait for camera to charge. will add pics later. All I need now is to get organized(consolidate)!!!!!
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Last edited by xtremeRCpilot; 03-02-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by RCFlyer55
United States, NY, Farmingdale
Joined Jan 2006
113 Posts

I just carry my extra Li-Pos in a fire safe box with the charger and some spare props. Then I carry a starter box(like to start dead car batteries). Simple only have to make 1 trip to the grass, can carry everything in one go. K.I.S.S.

For Glow/Gas I went kind of the same rout. I used to carry a large field stand/box. It was like furniture. I gave up on all that. I bought a plastic tool box from the Depot. Under the shelf I have 2 gel-cells so I can use either 12 or 24 volts for the starter. Everything in one box. I carry the fuel separately

RCFlyer55 is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyer55
Old 03-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by YaKs are BeSt
Joined Jan 2006
490 Posts

You guys have got to be kidding. Well maybe its just me.

For 3 years I have used a SHOE BOX. Gas fuel pump, screws and nuts and screwdriver and allen wrenches and charger and xacto knife and voltmeter and thin ca all goes in there. I just take the Shoe box with me every time I go to the field.

I am going to go take a picture right now just because it would be so funny.
YaKs are BeSt is offline Find More Posts by YaKs are BeSt
Old 03-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts

Yaks, Thanks for the laughs!!!! remember Im laughing with you not at you....(Pepsi of course).
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old 03-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2006
1,754 Posts

The Field Box from Hell V2
By Billy Hell

If I see something I like my brain forces me find ways to make it better. I can’t help it. This is what made me create the “Field Box from Hell” over three years ago. I wanted a field box that I could haul around in my car but would also carry just about everything I might need in the field. I posted that first field box on a web site and there have been over 68,000 views of the box since then. I would say I’m not the only one trying to find the perfect field box.
Time has passed and the “Field Box from Hell” has seen better days. I have been collecting bits and pieces over the last year to create version 2 for an even better field box. The time has come!

THE BOX

If you are like me you are always in the toolbox section at Home Depot looking for the next tool box design that will make your life easier. I stumbled on a stacking toolbox that is made out of plastic. The plastic part is important because you have to do a little cutting and drilling to dress out your field box. The one pictured is still the best design I have found in 3 years. I have carried mine around with me constantly and it has held up 100 percent. I tried to find a new box to use but none were better than my stackable box from Home Depot.

THE POWER PANEL

The heart of your new box is the power panel. It’s the brain of the box. Any good power panel will do. My original one was at least 7 years old but this is the “Field Box from Hell” baby! You have to go all the way! I ordered a Cermark Power Panel Plus. If there is a better power panel please email me and tell me about it. This thing does it all. It has an LCD screen that provides you with all the information you will need. It has the standard features as well as a top off charger for your TX/RX and glow starter. It also has a radio battery checker. The LED shows the 12V battery charging status, glow plug currents, and battery voltage under load. How much more could you ask for? I paid for this unit so this is an unbiased opinion.
The panel hooks directly to a 12V battery.

Installation
Installing the power panel was pretty simple. The back of the panel has a protective piece of plastic to keep your connections from touching any metal. I made a template of it and placed it on the front of the bottom box to make sure it was level. You want to make sure that the power is not too close to the top of the box. If you get it too high it will interfere with the tray that sits over the top.

After I made sure the template was relatively straight I traced around it with a pencil. I then drilled a few holes that would allow a jig saw to get in there. I then cut out my hole.

I had to go back and trim a little to get the power panel to fit but it went in easily. I then used the supplied screws to attach the panel to the box. The wood screws went right into the plastic and held tight. I have never had a problem with wood screws backing out of plastic in my other box. IT LOOKS GREAT!

THE FUEL TANK
In my old field box I used a standard one gallon glow fuel jug but to do that I had to cut a big hole in my top tray. This allowed tools to fall into the bottom of the box and just didn’t seem like a great idea after I did it. For version 2 I found a 1.4 gallon plastic fuel tank. The box has a wheel on the front. To make the fuel tank fit I heated the corner with heat gun and formed it to fit around the wheel. It not only fits but the fuel tank is locked in now.

Plumbing the Tank
I had modified cap on my old box that just screwed into the standard glow jug. I found that this same unit fit the fuel tank. This has a fuel
line with a clunk that goes to the bottom of the tank and two fuel lines going out to the fuel pump and filler

I plumbed one line out the side of the box simply by drilling a hole for the tube with a drill.

This line goes out to the fuel pump. Any fuel electric fuel pump will work. The Cermark panel has connectors to run a fuel pump. I ran the fuel pumps wires to the 12V battery. Coming out of the fuel pump is the filler line. I bought a new curled fuel line. The curled fuel line gives you more distance for filling your planes.

The fuel line has a fuel filter on the end and connects to a fuel line going back into the fuel tank. I used a fuel connecter that was threaded on the front with a plastic nut. I did this to keep secure the fuel line that the filler line attached to. The filter in the filler line lets you plug into the line coming off the box when not in use and allows you to plug into to your plane’s fuel line to fill it.

BATTERY
I have a standard sealed 12V battery. I have tried all kinds of batteries for field use but these little 12V RC batteries are simple to use and fine for a field box.
Here is a photo of the internal setup of the box. I have a piece of wood between the battery and the fuel cell to keep everything in place.

FINAL TOUCHES
At this point you could take your box out to the field and start flying but this is the “Field Box from Hell’, so we aren’t done yet.
I added a 4 way wrench to the outside of the box. The function of this for me is that I will always know where it is. I tend to throw tools around when I’m ready to fly and then I have to search for 10 minutes to find them. If it’s mounted on the front I can’t loose it (lets hope).
The holder for the glow driver was something I found in the shop. I think it’s made to hold a broom. You can buy glow driver mounts at the hobby shop as well. I used two screws to mount mine. I doubt the glow driver will live there all the time. The mount gives me a place I can put the driver while I’m flying. You know how it is; you start your motor and then throw your glow driver in some general direction. This will give me a place to put the thing instead of throwing it.
Photo – frontboxhalf
I also mounted a set of hex drivers on the side of the box. I don’t really have a good reason for this one. I have always wanted a hex set like this and that looked like a handy place to put it.

YOU ARE DONE!
This really didn’t take very long to put it together and when you’re done you will feel like you bought a new truck. Some guys will think that the thing is too big for practical use. I usually leave the top part (tool box) in the truck and carry the bottom part out to the flight line. The bottom box has a handle and is really sturdy. The “Field Box from Hell” will ride in my SUV put together or seperated. If you do need everything in one place the ability to wheel this bad boy out is great. This box really works for me and I hope it is something that will work for you.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old 07-16-2006, 02:48 AM
Find More Posts by bigadd43
Joined Jan 2006
63 Posts

thats cool i want one...
bigadd43 is offline Find More Posts by bigadd43
Old 07-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Billy Hell's article on this inspired me to build one, but around my electric and glow needs... Heres what I ended up with and am very pleased personally with it....

Quick Reply