logo
Old 01-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by The_Tinker
Whatever you are, be a good 1!
United States, MS, Macon
Joined Oct 2009
229 Posts
CAD education...

Ok guys, here's the deal. I work anywhere from 40-50 hours a week, a fairly stressful job of filling orders and satisfying customers. The problem is I don't see much of a future in it. I have always wanted to be an architect or engineer of some kind and have decided I'm not getting any younger. Why now chase my dream now? It will probably be at least a year before I can change jobs but I would like to go to school or get training at home. An online schooling would be my preference. I want to know CAD inside and out when I am done.

I understand computers fairly well and have used them for over ten years, however I know nothing about the cad programs out there. So I'm asking you guys, where should I look for the help I need? What do you recommend? Thanks, Micah
The_Tinker is offline Find More Posts by The_Tinker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by gareth.ky
Caymanian Pirate Code Monkey
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2006
2,122 Posts
Re: CAD education...

Probably the easiest CAD type program to use is Sketchup. It's free so you can get started right away just learning what CAD is all about. CAD programs used in the architectural field (AutoCAD) are more complex and have more features but at there core are the same controls and concepts and Sketchup.

I don't know of a particular online school that offers some sort of Architectural course. I've had a few friends become architects and the impression I got was that there is a lot more to it than just CAD. In fact you are kind of on your own when it comes to learning CAD. CAD is just one of the tools they use in designing a structure.
gareth.ky is offline Find More Posts by gareth.ky
Old 01-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Find More Posts by phippsj
Shut up and Fly!
Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,190 Posts

You need learn not only 2-D technical drawings (drafting), but also 3-D modeling. Autocad Inventor is a good place to start. Pro/Engineering is more industrial grade and is too expensive for an individual to have on a home PC, unless you're making $$ to pay for it.

Take drafting and cad modeling classes at a community college or technical school. You're talking about a CAD designer, not just someone who moves lines around on a screen.

Good Luck.
phippsj is offline Find More Posts by phippsj
Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by The_Tinker
Whatever you are, be a good 1!
United States, MS, Macon
Joined Oct 2009
229 Posts

Just a clarification. I don't know if I will go into Architecture or some other field but would like to do something down the line of designing/drafting. But I think the first thing on the list is to get some education, then find the job. Who knows, maybe airplanes! lol Now that's wishful thinking!

Thanks for your help guys...
The_Tinker is offline Find More Posts by The_Tinker
Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by nesikachad
Crashing sucks!
Sturgis, South Dakota
Joined Jun 2007
1,042 Posts

Be careful with inventor. We had problems with it. It'd "round" numbers for us and without telling us. Became a real biche when trying to machine firearms parts.

PRO E is pretty bad ass but it's expensive. MasterCam X3 is great for machine shop stuff. It supports solids and the toolpath verification package is much, much better than previous versions.

Hypothetical:

If you know anyone in the military serving in Iraq ask them to visit the "haji marts" and browse the software sections. You just never know what you might find there. . .

good luck.
nesikachad is offline Find More Posts by nesikachad
Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by hobbster126
40% Spoiled
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2010
98 Posts

Taking a few community college classes would be your best bet.
hobbster126 is offline Find More Posts by hobbster126
Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by Twangmaster
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Jan 2006
59 Posts

learn the engineering involved in what you're going to be drawing! A cad tech can make maybe $15 - $20 and hour, while a good designer can easily make $35 to $50 an hour.

And while you're at the local community college, Learn REVIT! Especially if you're thinking of consulting engineering, i.e. highways, infrastructure, buildings, etc.

oh, and you can go to autodesk.com and download autocad or revit and run them in 'demo' mode (fully functional) for 30-days at no cost at all. If you're wanting to learn either of those, just download 'em, grab the tutorials on the autodesk site for whichever version you've got, and have at it. They're really not that hard to learn once you learn a few basic concepts and apply a few braincells to them.
Twangmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twangmaster
Last edited by Twangmaster; 05-17-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added the demo stuff...
Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 PM
esc
Find More Posts by esc
esc
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Jun 2008
164 Posts

Quote:
Be careful with inventor. We had problems with it. It'd "round" numbers for us and without telling us.
Nesikachad, I am sorry but your statement simply is not true. I suggest you look closer at the settings under "Tools" - "Document Settings" - "Units" - see attached image.

Any CAD program will round off according to decimal place settings. You just haven't had yours set correctly. Indeed within Inventor you have the option of toggling on a "precise value" as shown. what more accuracy could you possible ask for?
esc is offline Find More Posts by esc
Last edited by esc; 03-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,939 Posts

The big hitters in the CAD world are Catia, Pro-Engineer and Unigraphics.... SolidWorks is a sort of Pro-Engineer "Lite" with what many think is a superior user interface.....

There are some "Art'sy" Surfacing programs used in entertainment.. Maya is one of'em I think....

Once you learn a capable CAD program, learning another one isn't too bad.... similar stuff.. just different mouse clicks...

I got news for you... if you had a full time job working with any of the more capable CAD programs.... it would be years before you would qualify as a "Super User".....

If you are thinking aerospace.... don't waste time with autocad....

take a college course and PTC (Pro-Engineer) will sell you a student version for like $20.00

Better yet.. get a college degree in Engineering.... Aero/Mech engineers frequently start out at about $60,000 a year with signing bonus'
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by tacdriver
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
Solidworks is a good program, lots of users, lots of capability. One thing, it is chronological in it's builds. Meaning if you round an edge, it's there in the tree on the left side of the screen. I used it a bunch before switching to SpaceClaim two years ago. This one is a direct 3D program - all work is rendered on the solid model.

There are no trees of past functions (with chronological builds, if you go back and change something from "early" in the history, you can render your model non-functional - so you really have to plan ahead). With SC, it is much more intuitive and my modeling is much faster.

Anyone reading this should check it out, it was started by the former CEO of Solidworks. Anyway, it's good software but any of these solutions are $$. Google Sketchup would be a choice for freeware.
tacdriver is offline Find More Posts by tacdriver
Old 09-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by Vital-Rc
Free Agent
United States, KY, Glasgow
Joined Oct 2010
1,411 Posts
I prefer inventor over Pro E, Wild Fire, or Creo whatever name they wanna call it at any particular time. Our work uses Pro E so I have to use it now, the statements about rounding off is control in your settings so you shouldn't have any issue with that.
Vital-Rc is offline Find More Posts by Vital-Rc
Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by khedge
Pearland/Houston,Tx
Joined Feb 2006
1,213 Posts
Hi,

I use Pro/E at school and were I work, you can get a free student edition of that software. PM and I can problem send you a copy.
khedge is offline Find More Posts by khedge
Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by Josh Price
3DHS Trunk-Monkey
Arkansas
Joined May 2006
4,299 Posts
Auto desk. The best cadd program out IMHO
Josh Price is offline Find More Posts by Josh Price

Quick Reply