logo
Old 09-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
United States, NJ, Freehold
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Great info here. I'm considering an EME 120 for a 1/3rd scale Fokker DVIII that I'm getting ready to cover. It will likely weigh 25 lbs plus or minus a pound or two. I've been away from wet fuel for at least 25 years, maybe longer, having converted to electric a long time ago. Even my 1/4 scale planes are electric. After seeing the big stuff flying at Rhinebeck a few weekends back I'm thinking it makes more sense to go gas on the big ones.

I have a couple of questions though. First is that while this engine is way more than I need for scale flight I want to fly with a scale sized prop which is around 36". What's the largest prop I can use with the EME 120? Second is that this seems to be a 3D engine. I don't know anything about 3D so this may seems a silly question but since I'd be using it in a scale subject most of the flight time will be at about half of less throttle. Does this have good low end power and spool up smoothly? I've been spoiled by the instant torque of the big electric outrunners.

Thanks,
Mike
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,778 Posts
While the EME120 is a sweet engine (I do have one)......I can't fathom a 36" prop, I would suspect overloading & overheating......BUT I could also be wrong......
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 09-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
United States, TX, McAllen
Joined Mar 2006
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
Great info here. I'm considering an EME 120 for a 1/3rd scale Fokker DVIII that I'm getting ready to cover. It will likely weigh 25 lbs plus or minus a pound or two. I've been away from wet fuel for at least 25 years, maybe longer, having converted to electric a long time ago. Even my 1/4 scale planes are electric. After seeing the big stuff flying at Rhinebeck a few weekends back I'm thinking it makes more sense to go gas on the big ones.

I have a couple of questions though. First is that while this engine is way more than I need for scale flight I want to fly with a scale sized prop which is around 36". What's the largest prop I can use with the EME 120? Second is that this seems to be a 3D engine. I don't know anything about 3D so this may seems a silly question but since I'd be using it in a scale subject most of the flight time will be at about half of less throttle. Does this have good low end power and spool up smoothly? I've been spoiled by the instant torque of the big electric outrunners.

Thanks,
Mike

36 inch prop is even hard to run with a 170 cc, do you mean 26 in prop instead? Usually the 120cc runs with 27 to 29 inch props.
Memo Lomeli is online now Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
Old 09-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
United States, NJ, Freehold
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
No, I meant 36" but that is the scale size. Anything 30" or over would do. This is primarily for aesthetics. Big scale models with small props just don't look right. This isn't a museum scale or GTM quality model so 30" will do. EME specs a 29x10 in their list so is a 30" out of the question?
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
Old 09-24-2019, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,504 Posts
Rinse a scale static display prop. Switch to a 27 to 28 to fly, it will have extra thrust more than needed. Throttle management will get you the desired results for scale flight.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 09-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by Texastbird
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Oct 2008
1,343 Posts
Zenoah G62 with reduction drive.
Texastbird is offline Find More Posts by Texastbird
Old 09-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by maki
Slovenia, Logatec
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
Or take mvvs 116 twin which can turn 30x10 with autority because is a long srtoke😍
maki is offline Find More Posts by maki
Old 09-25-2019, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by DATech
Joined Aug 2006
497 Posts
3 x 36”. I’m impressed that the full size Fokker spins a 9’ prop.
DATech is offline Find More Posts by DATech
Old 11-29-2021, 04:55 AM View Post
whitewalter12345
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.

Quick Reply