AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
Santiago hucks his pretty hard on a DA200. If you follow the EF page on BookFace, he's got several videos there...here's one https://www.bookface.com/santiago.pe...1574221191929/ --change the word order

He notes JR8944 servos, and looks to have 3 on the wings, and 2 on rudder; 1ea on elevators. Watched both he and SupaTim huck theirs at SAD last year; I personally would go with the GP178--It looks like a beast! I also think SupaTim had his set up with 1 rudder servo and 2ea aileron servos, and thought I heard him say he probably wouldn't do it that way again. Hopefully one of them may chime in

Thanks - I watched that video on the 'book when it was posted and is where I got the idea about the DA200. There's not much content out there on this plane, surprisingly. If it's on YT I've probably seen it.

I've been really impressed with the videos I've seen of the GP178 and it's almost exactly the same footprint as the DA150-170 so would be an easy swap. I do have a monster running DA150L on the bench and may start with that and consider the 'upgrade' to the GP. The DA200 is a big commitment since the box will have to be cut.
AHP is online now Find More Posts by AHP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-04-2021, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2006
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHP View Post
Thanks - I watched that video on the 'book when it was posted and is where I got the idea about the DA200. There's not much content out there on this plane, surprisingly. If it's on YT I've probably seen it.

I've been really impressed with the videos I've seen of the GP178 and it's almost exactly the same footprint as the DA150-170 so would be an easy swap. I do have a monster running DA150L on the bench and may start with that and consider the 'upgrade' to the GP. The DA200 is a big commitment since the box will have to be cut.
One thing to keep in mind is Santi is using a 200M (Magnesium case and lightened cylinders) so his 200 is very close to the weight of a 170. If I were setting one of these up I'd go with a 170 and two servos on the ailerons, one on the rudder mounted in the tail. That's what I'm running on a Skywing 116" 300NG, both planes are very similar in size, weight, and control surface size.
Mark Dennis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Old 11-07-2021, 10:19 AM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dennis View Post
One thing to keep in mind is Santi is using a 200M (Magnesium case and lightened cylinders) so his 200 is very close to the weight of a 170. If I were setting one of these up I'd go with a 170 and two servos on the ailerons, one on the rudder mounted in the tail. That's what I'm running on a Skywing 116" 300NG, both planes are very similar in size, weight, and control surface size.

Thanks for the info. The 200M is a pretty special unit...!

I'm going with a GP178 and will use the 150L for another airframe that needs the reduction in nose weight for CG.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by Hoistguy
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Jul 2012
388 Posts
You won’t be disappointed with the 178
Hoistguy is offline Find More Posts by Hoistguy
Old 11-12-2021, 09:42 AM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
975 Posts
Awwww yeeeaaah!

Maybe I'll start my own build thread.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 [email protected] a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Awwww yeeeaaah!

Maybe I'll start my own build thread.
wyo69cowboy is online now Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old 11-29-2021, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by AndresAM
Tulua, Valle, COLOMBIA
Joined May 2007
51 Posts
Has anybody thought about doing a low and slow 3D ultra light set up with a DA 120 or similar engine...?

Given the weights these planes are coming at with 150 engines, I think a 31-32 Pounds AUW plane is very easy to achieve with careful equipment selection. My EF 110" Yak V1 was 30 Pounds at some time and the power was more than enough with a DA 120, in spite of that large cowl killing a lot of the engine thrust.....
AndresAM is offline Find More Posts by AndresAM
Old 11-29-2021, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
9,453 Posts
I would be concerned about CG with 3.5 pound less mass up front.
ghoffman is online now Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 11-29-2021, 11:47 AM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresAM View Post
Has anybody thought about doing a low and slow 3D ultra light set up with a DA 120 or similar engine...?

Given the weights these planes are coming at with 150 engines, I think a 31-32 Pounds AUW plane is very easy to achieve with careful equipment selection. My EF 110" Yak V1 was 30 Pounds at some time and the power was more than enough with a DA 120, in spite of that large cowl killing a lot of the engine thrust.....

Total waste of time and energy to end up with a suboptimal performer. The ultra light weight obsession is silly in my opinion and personal experience. Power:weight is key with the emphasis on power first. A grossly overpowered and perhaps a bit heavy 'on paper' setup does everything that counts better than the light as a feather with marginal power setup. I've done the extremes on both sides and the former wins every time.

That said... The lightest reasonable setup would be a DA150L on standard mufflers. The bare engine is 1lb lighter than anything in its class and yanks around much heavier airframes with great authority. It would be a great setup and I briefly considered it. However, per my experience I decided to take the weight 'penalty' and go with the GP178. You will never. ever. feel the 1.5 - 2lb weight difference but you absolutely will feel the extra torque/thrust throughout the entire flight envelope.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by AndresAM
Tulua, Valle, COLOMBIA
Joined May 2007
51 Posts
Quote:
Total waste of time and energy to end up with a suboptimal performer. The ultra light weight obsession is silly in my opinion and personal experience. Power:weight is key with the emphasis on power first. A grossly overpowered and perhaps a bit heavy 'on paper' setup does everything that counts better than the light as a feather with marginal power setup. I've done the extremes on both sides and the former wins every time.

That said... The lightest reasonable setup would be a DA150L on standard mufflers. The bare engine is 1lb lighter than anything in its class and yanks around much heavier airframes with great authority. It would be a great setup and I briefly considered it. However, per my experience I decided to take the weight 'penalty' and go with the GP178. You will never. ever. feel the 1.5 - 2lb weight difference but you absolutely will feel the extra torque/thrust throughout the entire flight envelope.
I agree with you for the most part and I don't buy the lighter is always better either. My question was just based on the following:
I fly 35% planes with a mix of low and slow 3D and XA. However, the current trend in plane design with their thinner wing chords and small wing areas, just makes very difficult to find a good plane for relaxing slow 3D flying on the deck on that plane size nowadays. So, I only have DA 120's lying around and thought about going bigger in size whithin reason to fill that need and whithout having to invest in bigger engines. I don't know if it just me, but pretty much all available planes now on 35% size seem to suck low and slow....of course you can do it, I do it all the time with my EF Slick 105.5", but they are not locked in down low or stable enough to be fun and relaxing to fly slow. Some of them are even worst, and are prone to drop a wing in the worst place too....

This EF 114" slick is the same trend and its wing area and wing chord are small by old standards, but given it is in another size class, it looks it might get away with it.....
AndresAM is offline Find More Posts by AndresAM
Last edited by AndresAM; 11-29-2021 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old 11-30-2021, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by VinceY
That guy
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Feb 2006
703 Posts
I put a single cylinder 60cc motor in an EF 91" Laser that is designed for a twin 70cc. My plane was 1.5lb lighter than my friend's 91 Laser with a DA70. I had to change the layout of components to get the CG right. The planes fly very different. Mine is extremely floaty but gets beat up in windier conditions. His is less affected by wind. Mine feels similar to the 95" EF Extra electric, almost like a foamy. While some may not like how it flies, I enjoy it. Especially for low and slow 3D on windless days. I would say go for it. People can give you all the reasons it won't work well (like they did with me), but you will never know if you don't try it.
VinceY is offline Find More Posts by VinceY
Old 11-30-2021, 12:08 PM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresAM View Post
I agree with you for the most part and I don't buy the lighter is always better either. My question was just based on the following:
I fly 35% planes with a mix of low and slow 3D and XA. However, the current trend in plane design with their thinner wing chords and small wing areas, just makes very difficult to find a good plane for relaxing slow 3D flying on the deck on that plane size nowadays. So, I only have DA 120's lying around and thought about going bigger in size whithin reason to fill that need and whithout having to invest in bigger engines. I don't know if it just me, but pretty much all available planes now on 35% size seem to suck low and slow....of course you can do it, I do it all the time with my EF Slick 105.5", but they are not locked in down low or stable enough to be fun and relaxing to fly slow. Some of them are even worst, and are prone to drop a wing in the worst place too....

This EF 114" slick is the same trend and its wing area and wing chord are small by old standards, but given it is in another size class, it looks it might get away with it.....

I understand not wanting to invest in another engine but I don't believe lightening/underpowering what's already extremely light for its size (and has 2300sq) is the solution to the problem you're looking to solve. The challenges you're facing with low & slow instability are likely more in your thumbs than the airframe, and either way it is not a weight/wing loading issue in that mode. The irony is some of the best, most stable and predictable low & slow og 3D performers I've had were among the heaviest setups. I had a DA150L on a 35% Yak that was nearly 33lbs dry and it was amazing, yet grossly overweight 'on paper'. Conversely I've flown the same model that was 27lbs with a very different setup and it was not better at anything other than landing speed. It's not a weight issue. I'm not advocating more weight, just that there isn't that much juice for the squeeze in actual benefit/reward, in my experience; especially if you're sacrificing torque/thrust in the process.. I just completed a refurb on a 41.5lb CompARF Yak that's now 37lbs -- incredibly light for its size and vintage. The weight difference is noticeable in certain conditions, but honestly not really meaningful. The vast majority of the flight characteristics are intrinsic to the airframe, regardless of weight within a reasonable range.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:52 AM
Find More Posts by Rush7
Huckin somewhere under the sun
Chattanooga, TN
Joined Mar 2007
2,320 Posts
My setup is this. Savox 1212sg's on the ailerons. 2 per aileron.. 2- Savox 2290's on the rudder. 1-Bluebird H71B on each elevator. I tried the Savox 1212sg's on the elevator but was getting flutter at high speeds. Put the H71B's on and no more flutter. I have a DLE 170 with a Falcon 30x13w. Plane has good speed and tons of bottom in torque with this setup. I honestly believe this is the best 40% plane ever. Very light but also very strong.
Extreme Flight 114" Slick 580 with DLE 170 power. Perfect Combo (1 min 32 sec)
Rush7 is offline Find More Posts by Rush7
Old 01-15-2022, 12:13 AM
Find More Posts by planebender
www.planebenderproducts.c om
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,200 Posts
Hi guys, a question for you owners of the EF-114.
Do any of you guys still have your factory Spec sheet that came with your plane. This will have hand written incidence settings on wings, Stabs Ect.
If you do would you be kind enough to snap a shot if it and post it?
Thanks!
Dave
planebender is online now Find More Posts by planebender
Old 01-15-2022, 09:33 AM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planebender View Post
Hi guys, a question for you owners of the EF-114.
Do any of you guys still have your factory Spec sheet that came with your plane. This will have hand written incidence settings on wings, Stabs Ect.
If you do would you be kind enough to snap a shot if it and post it?
Thanks!
Dave

Mine definitely did not come with this.

Quick Reply