logo
Old 11-28-2021, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by avata71
United States, NY, East Amherst
Joined Nov 2021
20 Posts
Discussion
Extreme Flight MXS 85 and engine

Hi, has anyone here assembled this aircraft? If so, Im looking for suggestions on where to place the throttle servo as the engine I have chosen, DA60, has a different throttle location as compared to the DA50 which the plane was specked for. Also, am I supposed to disengage the throttle close spring for normal operations?

Thanks
avata71 is offline Find More Posts by avata71
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-28-2021, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by Harold Smith
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Dec 2009
822 Posts
I would not mess with the throttle return spring, it will keep the butterfly shaft from getting loose on you.---Smitty
Harold Smith is offline Find More Posts by Harold Smith
Old 11-28-2021, 11:46 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avata71 View Post
Hi, has anyone here assembled this aircraft? If so, Im looking for suggestions on where to place the throttle servo as the engine I have chosen, DA60, has a different throttle location as compared to the DA50 which the plane was specked for. Also, am I supposed to disengage the throttle close spring for normal operations?

Thanks
Try and Keep the Servo away from Heat, Like the Exhaust.
Its also best to avoid a solid link between the Carb arm and the servo. As to not transmit vibes to the servos, Which your servo will thank you for

Using something like nyrod is perfect , Sullivan Golden Rod is what i use, If its a short run Ie 4 inch just use the yellow inner if its longer use both parts glued together ( See Below Picture)

Throttle Spring, Do not take it off but just unhook it from the arm so it no longer returns the butterfly closed, It Just takes off some load from the servo and saves a bit of battery consumption.

The Spring has a second purpose of keeping the shaft correclyt spaced and this stops the butterfly from causing wear in the venturi, Which will in turn give running issues etc.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 11-28-2021, 11:58 PM
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
3,681 Posts
Upload a few pics and we will help show you some locations.

One Option i Like is too have the servo on its side and the servo arm stlcks out the bottom of the motorbox floor just like in my photo, This keeps the servo out of the heat and also give perfect geometry as its swings the same way as the carb throttle arm
Old 11-29-2021, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
5,105 Posts
Having built a number of EF planes, there is nothing wrong with a direct link for the throttle and I unaware of any heat issues. There are generally two options for an EF plane, cut a slot in the bottom of engine box, or use the side mount. There is no “right” way, other than the servo arm aligning with the throttle. The hardware that comes with their kits is fine. Pix would help. Don’t overthink it…..
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 11-29-2021, 01:17 AM
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
3,681 Posts
Absolutely FGN, We all have preferred methods and ways to setup, There is many good ways.

Avata go with what you feel happy with and what suits you.
We are happy to present some options to you on the setup

But FGN is right don't over think it haha, We have done that all in the past.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:48 AM
Joined Nov 2021
20 Posts
Wow, thank you all for the excellent responses. Here are some pics. I was considering mounting the servo for the throttle high up on the inside of the motor box on the left hand side.

So I can disengage the throttle spring but dont remove it?
Old 11-29-2021, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by Capt Kurt
That's gonna leave a mark!
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jun 2016
346 Posts
There is no need to disengage or remove the spring.
Capt Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Capt Kurt
Old 11-29-2021, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2006
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kurt View Post
There is no need to disengage or remove the spring.
Agreed, any servo you use on the throttle nowadays will have enough torque that the spring isn't a factor
Mark Dennis is online now Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Old 11-29-2021, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,536 Posts
As mentioned just release the spring tension from the throttle arm.. and i always take the idle screw all the way out and throw them in the trash!!! Why put unnecessary tension on a servo especially if your blipping the throttle doing 3D stuff… and the reason i take the idle screw out is incase i have to l kill the motor with my throttle cut.. it lets the butterfly shut all the way and kill the engine. I would also run a 24x9 Falcon carbon fiber prop with the DA 60.. i know you didnt ask but just thought i would throw that in there.
3DJP is online now Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 11-29-2021, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2021
20 Posts
Thanks for all this. I’m very excited for this project. I believe that is the prop I got from EF. I am going to run the Spektrum optical kill. Would that be ok?
Old 11-29-2021, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2006
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DJP View Post
As mentioned just release the spring tension from the throttle arm.. and i always take the idle screw all the way out and throw them in the trash!!! Why put unnecessary tension on a servo especially if your blipping the throttle doing 3D stuff… and the reason i take the idle screw out is incase i have to l kill the motor with my throttle cut.. it lets the butterfly shut all the way and kill the engine. I would also run a 24x9 Falcon carbon fiber prop with the DA 60.. i know you didnt ask but just thought i would throw that in there.
Even releasing the tension and leaving the spring in place creates a small amount of slop in the arm going through the carb that the throttle butterfly is attached to. The amount of tension that spring adds is absolutely nothing for any servo with over 50oz of torque let alone the 200+ oz servos most use on the throttle. Using that same rational we should be trying to fly our planes in a vacuum due to the airflow pushing back on the surfaces causing strain on the servos........
Mark Dennis is online now Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Last edited by Mark Dennis; 11-29-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:08 PM
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avata71 View Post
Wow, thank you all for the excellent responses. Here are some pics. I was considering mounting the servo for the throttle high up on the inside of the motor box on the left hand side.

So I can disengage the throttle spring but dont remove it?
Either will work fine, The Factory Floor mount will be fine, Just ensure you can get a nice pretty straight link between the two and nice geometry or as best you can.

Dummy it up, put on the servo horn and and if you have a correct size turnbuckle, Pop on some ball links and test it out to ensure there is no interference. and that your happy. If you dont have the right size turnbuckle , Just get a piece of rod to show the trajectory from horn to carb, To show you the alignment.

Hope that makes sense lol
Old 11-29-2021, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
Try and Keep the Servo away from Heat, Like the Exhaust.
Its also best to avoid a solid link between the Carb arm and the servo. As to not transmit vibes to the servos, Which your servo will thank you for

Using something like nyrod is perfect , Sullivan Golden Rod is what i use, If its a short run Ie 4 inch just use the yellow inner if its longer use both parts glued together ( See Below Picture)

Throttle Spring, Do not take it off but just unhook it from the arm so it no longer returns the butterfly closed, It Just takes off some load from the servo and saves a bit of battery consumption.

The Spring has a second purpose of keeping the shaft correclyt spaced and this stops the butterfly from causing wear in the venturi, Which will in turn give running issues etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dennis View Post
Even releasing the tension and leaving the spring in place creates a small amount of slop in the arm going through the carb that the throttle bitterly is attached to. The amount of tension that spring adds is absolutely nothing for any servo with over 50oz of torque let alone the 200+ oz servos most use on the throttle. Using that same rational we should be trying to fly our planes in a vacuum due to the airflow pushing back on the surfaces causing strain on the servos........
Its your world Mr. Dennis!!! Im just living in it
3DJP is online now Find More Posts by 3DJP

Quick Reply