logo
Old 01-13-2022, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
2,975 Posts
He did say its a H9 Pitts so it's a biplane, hence 4 Aileron servos. He also mentioned a Cortex Pro in his equipment list. His receiver can send SBUS to the Cortex Pro which I think should then be able to handle the 7 servos for Aileron, Elevator and Rudder and he should then be able to connect Throttle and Ignition directly to the receiver but a single battery connection to the receiver and using the SBUS lead for power is NOT adequate for a plane that size in my opinion so if he doesn't use something like an XPS 16 (or whatever the lower cost unit is called) then he's left with needing to figure out how to make additional power connections to the Rx and Cortex Pro. There may be a spare port to bring additional power into, on the Cortex Pro, I'm not sure but since he's new to this stuff he may find all this very confusing.

If he used the XPS power expander I believe it will take SBUS in so he could simply go SBUS from the Rx to the Cortex Pro's SBUS IN and then connect the Cortex Pros SBUS OUT to the XPS unit and have power connections and everything else sorted out in a very straight forward way. While I agree a power expander isn't really NEEDED for a plane like this based on the info he posted (desired equipment and experience level) it may well make this simpler for him.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-13-2022, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,903 Posts
He can use a Y extension to hook up the 2nd battery if hes out of spots
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 01-13-2022, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,523 Posts
FWIW, there is no need for any knid of power expander unless you find it makes an easier installation. My Mamba70 biplane runs 6xS9177SV servos (569 oz-in), a S3071 throttle, and IBEC through a R7014SB with no issues at all. I use 2x2550 2S lipo through a BoomaRC hidden dual pin switch.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 01-13-2022, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by mkbrower
Joined Dec 2021
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
He did say its a H9 Pitts so it's a biplane, hence 4 Aileron servos. He also mentioned a Cortex Pro in his equipment list. His receiver can send SBUS to the Cortex Pro which I think should then be able to handle the 7 servos for Aileron, Elevator and Rudder and he should then be able to connect Throttle and Ignition directly to the receiver but a single battery connection to the receiver and using the SBUS lead for power is NOT adequate for a plane that size in my opinion so if he doesn't use something like an XPS 16 (or whatever the lower cost unit is called) then he's left with needing to figure out how to make additional power connections to the Rx and Cortex Pro. There may be a spare port to bring additional power into, on the Cortex Pro, I'm not sure but since he's new to this stuff he may find all this very confusing.

If he used the XPS power expander I believe it will take SBUS in so he could simply go SBUS from the Rx to the Cortex Pro's SBUS IN and then connect the Cortex Pros SBUS OUT to the XPS unit and have power connections and everything else sorted out in a very straight forward way. While I agree a power expander isn't really NEEDED for a plane like this based on the info he posted (desired equipment and experience level) it may well make this simpler for him.
You nailed everything! Thank You! Things are certainly a lot different today but, I think it's for the better. Sometimes I feel like Alice falling through the rabbit hole. The more I read, the more confusing it gets.

It looks like the XPS, X-16 board is exactly what I need and its reasonable priced. I'm not sure how the demon cortex will be wired in but your thoughts on using the s-bus sounds interesting. I guess I'll be going back into the rabbit hole again tonight.

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions, especially the recommendation for the XPS expander boards. Never heard of them before this thread.
mkbrower is offline Find More Posts by mkbrower
Old 01-13-2022, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by Airiley
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Jul 2016
219 Posts
They are great boards with great service. I don't have a demon pro, but it was mentioned that it has sbus out. That makes it really simple. Transmitter with one connection to cortex and from cortex sbus out to XPS with another single connection. You might have some channel mapping to do, but the actual physical connection part of it should be easy.
Airiley is online now Find More Posts by Airiley

Quick Reply