Find More Posts by Aussieaero's
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts
Re: 50% Hempel Edge 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodderjohn View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Bill.
I done all my CG with wings on and hatch in place, it will be interesting to see the difference. I now have my Edge flying once again, with the 3W 275 CS TS and your 3 blader, what a combination.
Thanks for all your help Bill
Hi Bill

As John said Thanks. I have sent you an email.

Mike
Aussieaero's is offline Find More Posts by Aussieaero's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Find More Posts by Devo
BACK IN YAK :)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
905 Posts

Sorry mate no pics yet...kids asleep. Same size as TD.s......yellow one...type of color you will hate or like......looks nice to me though....

Will speak to the others about SA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra3w View Post
It would be great if you all came across as it made for a great comp last year
Make sure you post some pic's of the new yak when you get it out of the box. What size is it? Is it the same size as TD's?
Devo is offline Find More Posts by Devo
Old 08-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by toc pilot
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaaaz View Post
Even with the Edge nose-heavy you can perform a hover-flatspin-harrier-roll Do not try this at home!
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. watch 1:25

Wow! That was SPECTACULAR! Nice save! It is good to see the Edge flying well and your demo's look great! Thank you for all you have done!

Bill Hempel
toc pilot is offline Find More Posts by toc pilot
Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Fitted all the wing sevo's today .Used SWB 1 1/2 inch arms and 6-32 push rods with carbon over them. Made all the extention leads up to the right lenght with my new crimping tool .
In the meentime the better half finished of my wing bags .
Old 08-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by Devo
BACK IN YAK :)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
905 Posts

nice wing bags ......
Devo is offline Find More Posts by Devo
Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up Bill.
I done all my CG with wings on and hatch in place, it will be interesting to see the difference. I now have my Edge flying once again, with the 3W 275 CS TS and your 3 blader, what a combination.
Thanks for all your help Bill
Hi John

What prop are you running and is it wood or carbon. I have a Biela 36x16 but I am thinking this is a lot of pitch. I am wondering is there a good 3 blader or a better 2 blade available.

Mike
Last edited by Aussieaero's; 08-15-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by hodderjohn
Newcastle NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2006
515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra3w View Post
Hi John

What prop are you running and is it wood or carbon. I have a Biela 36x16 but I am thinking this is a lot of pitch. I am wondering is there a good 3 blader or a better 2 blade available.

Mike
Hi Mike
I tried one of Bill's 2 blader first 37x13 but it was noisy, when I put his 3 blader on it was much better. I can't remember what size it is, just email Bill to find out. Both the props are made of wood, get the 3 blader.
hodderjohn is offline Find More Posts by hodderjohn
Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Hi Mike
I tried one of Bill's 2 blader first 37x13 but it was noisy, when I put his 3 blader on it was much better. I can't remember what size it is, just email Bill to find out. Both the props are made of wood, get the 3 blader.
Thanks John, I have sent Bill an email about props and asking about the air filter. Do you recon you need it? Does the carby throw out much fuel?
Old 08-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts

Hey, the (3) blade prop is a 34.5x13.5 propeller. This is a good sounding prop, much quieter than the screaming (2) blade 37x13's...... Airfilters on the 3W-275 engine is 'must' in my opinion!! The engine is a 'spitter' for sure! It will soak all of the inside of the motor box if a filter is not used. With a filter there is much less fuel to worry about!!

Bill
Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc pilot View Post
Hey, the (3) blade prop is a 34.5x13.5 propeller. This is a good sounding prop, much quieter than the screaming (2) blade 37x13's...... Airfilters on the 3W-275 engine is 'must' in my opinion!! The engine is a 'spitter' for sure! It will soak all of the inside of the motor box if a filter is not used. With a filter there is much less fuel to worry about!!

Bill
Thanks Bill I thought that might be the case with the carby. I think I will try the Biela 36x16 and see how I go as I have it already but I think the 3 bladder would be better.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts

I have used and tested this prop. This is a big prop with big pitch. It work pretty good though, it is absoluetly quiet. I belive it only turn around 4400 RPM on the ground or something like that. The top speed of your plane will be faster but will pull a bit less. I beleive this prop will be quieter than the (3) blade prop. You may be presently surpised and satisfied.

Bill

Oh yeah: I sell you the (3) blade prop if you want!!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Now I can see it
Joined Mar 2007
615 Posts

Hey Guys
I have finally finished the edge and had the giant scale inspection completed last week end. The plane ended up weighing just less than 30kg with out fuel. We ran the engine several times on the ground over the last 2 weeks to set the canns and start the run in process.
Last Saturday we took the opportunity with the good weather to do the first of the maiden flights.
The flight went well with the 3W 275 having some awesome power and even in its new state there was no need to go above half throttle. The thing is just so easy to fly and can't wait to finish the certification. Unfortunately about 6 minutes in to the flight the motor spat the $500+++ Tru Turn spinner and Biela prop so it was a dead stick landing. There was no other damage to the plane other than the prop cut the front of the left spat. Still trying to find answers to why this happened but the prop bolts were tightened before the flight. The prop had been balanced and was tracking straight but the prop shows signs that it had come loose.
Have ordered a new 3 blade prop and a new set of spats from Bill H and hopefully we can get back in the air soon. I have a video of the flight and I will try to post it soon.
Cheers Mike
Old 10-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Find More Posts by Talbs
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Jan 2006
593 Posts

What a bugger!,hope ya get it sorted, can't wait to see her fly.
Talbs is offline Find More Posts by Talbs
Old 10-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Find More Posts by chaps
open for sponsorship
Australia
Joined Oct 2008
99 Posts

Hi Mike

Mann that plane is a beast, do you think you'll have it at monarto and what mode
Once again that is an awsome plane and i hope we get to see it at Monarto and i hope you get the prop spitting sorted out.

Matty
chaps is offline Find More Posts by chaps
Old 10-14-2009, 03:30 AM
Find More Posts by 3dubya
//////////////////////////////
Stralya - down there aye bloke
Joined Feb 2006
4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieaero's View Post
Hey Guys
I have finally finished the edge and had the giant scale inspection completed last week end. The plane ended up weighing just less than 30kg with out fuel. We ran the engine several times on the ground over the last 2 weeks to set the canns and start the run in process.
Last Saturday we took the opportunity with the good weather to do the first of the maiden flights.
The flight went well with the 3W 275 having some awesome power and even in its new state there was no need to go above half throttle. The thing is just so easy to fly and can't wait to finish the certification. Unfortunately about 6 minutes in to the flight the motor spat the $500+++ Tru Turn spinner and Biela prop so it was a dead stick landing. There was no other damage to the plane other than the prop cut the front of the left spat. Still trying to find answers to why this happened but the prop bolts were tightened before the flight. The prop had been balanced and was tracking straight but the prop shows signs that it had come loose.
Have ordered a new 3 blade prop and a new set of spats from Bill H and hopefully we can get back in the air soon. I have a video of the flight and I will try to post it soon.
Cheers Mike

hi mike, wise words from howie when a prop came of a DA150 at the masters one year, he said "only 2 reasons a prop comes off, bolts were done up too tight or they were too loose". Unfortunately when all these boxer motors fling a prop its highly likely the crank gets knocked out of alignment (remember mine came off at monarto last year, it got knocked out a mile, most of the repair work that was done on mine by uncle ernie that night was realigning the crank). Continuing to fly it with miss-aligned crank is a very very bad idea even if its slight. The motor will potentially fling a prop again with all the vibration, and all sorts of things will come loose like the heads and gaskets will suck in or blow out.

Take it to a good gocart shop and get the crank dialed up, it may not be out at all but its not worth the potential nightmare. DA-3W-DL all are POS if the crank is out.
3dubya is offline Find More Posts by 3dubya

Quick Reply