logo
Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by Dumorian
...all in my brain
Goshen, VA
Joined Sep 2008
153 Posts
Aero-Towing - Favorite Tugs

I'm wondering what planes are favorite tugs for aero-towing. It would be nice to get particulars such as why you like the model and the features about it that make it a great tug. Also, ideas on power systems as well as what size gliders can be handled by your tug(s).

Me? Well, I had a Senior Telemaster setup for aero-towing. I only had one comical afternoon of trying it. The next day I lost the model due to a radio lockout. There were two things I really didn't care for about that model. One is it floated forever when landing. I cured that by adding flaps. The other was if there was any sort of side wind, there wasn't enough rudder authority to fully control it during the transition between the tailwheel touching down or lifting off. I had planned to increase the rudder size to about double... but now all I have is a box of balsa scrap and a mostly complete set of wings.

I have purchased a Super Decathlon kit. 89" wingspan. This model should come in at about 14 or 15 pounds. I plan to use either a 26cc or 40cc gasser on it. I'm a bit torn between on this model for a tug only because of the cantilevered rudder and elevator. I'm visualizing the tug cord getting caught in the gap should I need to do a release from the tug. If this can be overcome, I'm thinking I should be able to tug up like 4m gliders to around 10 pounds. All speculation at this point.

So, what do you use for a tug and how do you like the performance of your tug? Pros and cons.
Dumorian is offline Find More Posts by Dumorian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by jfrickey
Steppin Large, Laughin Easy
Kansas
Joined Feb 2006
18 Posts
Re: Aero-Towing - Favorite Tugs

This is a Pegasus 2 by John Derstine who is no longer around. I do have plans if I need to build another.
It has 114 inch wing span, weighs 35 lbs and is powered by a 3W-120 with a 28/12 3 blade mejelick prop. 64 oz fuel tank good for about 2hrs towing ( which I did at the 05 JR Aerotow)
It can pull up to 50 lb gliders and even as small as 2 meters.
Check out the June 07 issue of RC Soaring Digest on line for details of the last aerotow our club had.
I also included a picture of my friends 140 inch all molded Turbo Porter powered by a BME 110.
jfrickey is offline Find More Posts by jfrickey
Last edited by jfrickey; 02-18-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:13 AM
Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Time for something New......
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

We use a super hots blown up to 3.5m, Its powered by a 3w 157 and it flies like a massive fun fly. Short landings are easily achieveable but the long tow line make that a little harder than normal. Power is insane and it will pull 40lbs gliders up at 45-60 degrees.

We currently have a cessna 195 being built wich will be electric powered. Should make a great tow plane.
RustyTumbles is offline Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Old 04-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by pure micshef
Doo It! Doo It!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2007
255 Posts

Hi guys I personally use an Austars Ag husky for towing with a DL 50 for 1/4 scale models, a Hanger
9 pawnee with an e-flight 90 on 6S for 1/5 scale models and am finishing off a 40% Comp Arf 3.1 extra for towing the rest of my big stuff. Shortly I'll be starting a 40% pawnee with a DL 222 up front, why so many tugs....that depends on my mood and what I feel like towing, but they all fly well.
pure micshef is offline Find More Posts by pure micshef
Old 04-02-2009, 04:06 AM
Find More Posts by Borries
After a storm comes a calm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
862 Posts

Esm/Kmp Cessna 185 with a 50cc DL

BB
Borries is offline Find More Posts by Borries
Old 04-02-2009, 05:52 AM
Doo It! Doo It!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2007
255 Posts

yep I have to agree with Borries on this one I miss mine heaps.....nah I got a bigger one now

Hows the prop working out for towing Borries?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure micshef View Post
Hi guys I personally use an Austars Ag husky for towing with a DL 50 for 1/4 scale models, a Hanger
9 pawnee with an e-flight 90 on 6S for 1/5 scale models and am finishing off a 40% Comp Arf 3.1 extra for towing the rest of my big stuff. Shortly I'll be starting a 40% pawnee with a DL 222 up front, why so many tugs....that depends on my mood and what I feel like towing, but they all fly well.
What weights and spans are you towing with the husky? Just purchased a set of plans for a 1/4 scale woodstock, was thinking of blowing it up to 1/3 scale. Looking for something around the 50cc mark for a tug as I may not have access to the "super hots" next year.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by Cracky
WHATS CRACKALAKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,313 Posts

Quote:
a Hanger
9 pawnee
That is a cute little model. A friend let me fly his for a while. Fun to buzz the ground and keep it close.
Cracky is offline Find More Posts by Cracky
Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Doo It! Doo It!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2007
255 Posts

Hi there Rusty still early days yet but so far I have towed a 4 meter pic 20 @ 8 1/2 lbs in a very posative manner on a 23x8 wood I'm now running a 22x10 I'd say up to 5 meters comfortably but I'll be having a crack at towing my 10 kg 6 meter Lentus soon..... a big ask maybe but we'll see.

cheers Rossco.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Do you tow in circuits or just a straight climb out. I am trying to get the guys here to try some circuits while on the tow. So far I have only got them to turn 90 degrees while on the tow. Personally I think it would be better to release the glider in a position closer to the strip rather than 1 mile up wind.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Doo It! Doo It!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2007
255 Posts

To be honest a bit of a mixture, either S turns infront so you tack accross the wind or if there is no wind some guys like to tow in circles infront, we even towed at Sheparton last year in the flying circuit, all was well until the tug put it's nose down with a highly loaded B4 on the back and you guessed it I passed the tug.....
Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.
Kentucky
Joined Apr 2006
9,354 Posts

awsome this thread came to life!. currently my club uses a 110 rascal for tug, the a-1 aviat husky i am building for bush flying may get used depends on how much power, but its heavy as is. ohh i reallly like the 185!.. tho with aeroworks releasign the 195 radial cowl... purdy.
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old 04-05-2009, 02:43 AM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Quote:
To be honest a bit of a mixture, either S turns infront so you tack accross the wind or if there is no wind some guys like to tow in circles infront, we even towed at Sheparton last year in the flying circuit, all was well until the tug put it's nose down with a highly loaded B4 on the back and you guessed it I passed the tug.....
Cool, we will be doing some more towing over the easter long weekend. Also have a new (smaller) tug to maiden. Should be good weather for thermals too.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by JLeyland
Doylestown, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
211 Posts

Would anyone mind posting some pictures of their tow setup? (close ups of the attach point etc) I'd really appreciate it. I'm about to start building a 12' Telemaster and would like to make it a tow plane. I think it'll be a good one!
thanks for any help
Jon
JLeyland is offline Find More Posts by JLeyland
Old 04-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.
Kentucky
Joined Apr 2006
9,354 Posts

the 12 ft telemaster will be perfect! sorry no pics..
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51

Quick Reply