logo
Old 01-02-2017, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
I wanted to try one of these and see what I thought about it. Here is some feedback. I did notice there was another guy at the field yesterday that had one of these, but I did not get a chance to see how it worked out for him.

I got a chance to use it on my DLE 55 on an EF Extra 300. I normally start my engines with hand and also with a chicken stick that I made a few years back for about 5-8 dollars. I was not as impressed with the rolling chicken stick as some of the other guys on this thread seem to be.

As far as the pros, I do think the packaging is nice. The shipping was very good. Also, it is well built, has a good feel to it, and the nylon bearings are a nice touch. I think some good thought went into this. The number one pro is that it does promote safety of which I think we all would agree is worthwhile.

It does take some getting used to because of the ability to roll it on the prop has limited drag on it. You will need to learn to pull away from the plane slightly while using it or you will hit your cowl. This can be a challenge because you are putting pressure against the prop and that would require the stick to slide slightly on the prop. Proper placement is important for the right location on the prop.

I hit my cowl several times yesterday when trying to start my plane. I can imagine it would be a bear on a Yak or other large cowled plane with limited prop exposure. After using it a number of times yesterday, I went back to hand starting my DLE 55. I found it difficult with the rolling aspect because of the inability to feel the compression stroke for quick firing the engine.

I know I have to learn more how to use it and to be completely fair I want to give it a much more thorough workout, but weather has turned a bit sour around here. I will try it on my DA 120 when weather permits and see how I like it. Maybe that is more the size of engine that it would be best suited for. We will see how it goes.
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by RICHMATH
FLYEMBIG
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Thanks you for your thoughts and for trying the RCS.
I think the reason you are not feeling the same enthusiasm for the RCS is because of how your are using it. "pull away from the plane when using it"... "Putting pressure against the prop and that would require the stick to slide slightly on the prop" This is not what you want to do with the RCS. As I stated in the video, you do not want to pull the stick so it comes off the front of the prop or use it in an arc motion. The RCS should not slide forward at all on the prop. The correct way is to have the Stick roll on a straight line down the prop and off the tip of the prop. The prop should be in the middle of the roller and thats where it should be when the roller comes off the tip of the prop.

"I hit my cowl several times yesterday when trying to start my plane. I can imagine it would be a bear on a Yak or other large cowled plane with limited prop exposure." On planes with large round cowls, if you have a problem hitting the cowl, it may be that you are placing the Stick too far into the prop. You should place the roller in no more than 1/3 the distance in from the tip of the prop and in fact with large cowls you can place the roller even closer to the tip of the prop to keep from hitting the cowl. I have started engines with the roller almost all the way to the tip of the plane and it still works fine. If you notice in the video I am spinning the prop on a Gee Bee R-3 that has a large round cowl. And as you can see in the video I have no problem at all and didnt hit the cowl. I think correct roller placement, a straight motion down the prop along with more practice is needed to get the correct effect from the RCS.

"I found it difficult with the rolling aspect because of the inability to feel the compression stroke for quick firing the engine". I really dont understand what is happening here..? When I bring the prop around and right up against the compression of the engine and then forcefully flip the prop thru the compression with the RCS everything just works great for me. I really dont understand what is going on with what you are doing. I really think you are not using it correctly.

"...my DA 120...Maybe that is more the size of engine that it would be best suited for". I respectfully have to totally disagree with you here. I have used the RCS on my 170 literally hundreds of times and it works perfect. I feel the bigger the engine the better this method works over hand starting.

I appreciate your review (good or bad) but I really think you are not using the RCS correctly. I personally feel that there is no better way to start your engine and that is not because the RCS is my product, I made this product BECAUSE of the lack of a good way to start my RC engines. Please do not take my reply to your post wrong, I appreciate your feed back but I really think you need to work on the technique a little. Place the roller correctly on the prop and forcefully flip the prop thru the copression cycle and dont think about the stick ROLLING, just flip it thru the compression cycle in a straight line right off the tip of the prop. Thats all there is to it and it should work just like it is working for me and others.

Here are some of the posts from others that are using the RCS...
(All of these can be seen on the other posts here at FG Forum)

"I was impressed and it works as advertised...I can actually get more downward thrust on the prop than with my hand"

"I got to try the RCS today on my DA120. All I can say is it was effortless to use."

"...your roller is EXCELLENT...!!”

"Used mine today. Worked great. "

"works perfect"

"I was using the yellow one to start a 3W Competition 170cc, I had zero trouble and was able to flip with authority. "

"I dont know why anyone would start their engine by hand after using this starting stick...what an improvement. Thanks so much Rich."

I just want to add one more point here...
A pilot sent me this post..."I had a 28" wood prop come around and smack the back of my fingers. Safety is important especially with the size and power of the "toys" that can exist.. Im gonna stick to hand flipping.. Just never again without my glove on!!"

To which I replied..."There never is a product or system that is perfect for EVERYONE. If that were so then we'd all be flying the same plane. Diversification is what makes this country and its people GREAT!"

Some people just like doing things their way and if thats what they are set on then more power to them. We all do what we want and thats the way it should be. For those that want to continue hand starting their engines I will still hold their plane for them while they start it up!

Good luck and give me your feed back again after you have used it some more. If after you have used your RCS some more and you still do not like it PM me and I will be happy to take it back.

Thanks again,
Richard
RICHMATH is offline Find More Posts by RICHMATH
Last edited by RICHMATH; 01-02-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHMATH View Post
Good luck and give me your feed back again after you have used it some more. If after you have used your RCS some more and you still do not like it PM me and I will be happy to take it back.

Thanks again,
Richard
No problem and I appreciate your comments. I think the reason I was hitting the cowl was the angle I was using the stick more than the depth, although depth could have been a factor as well. Instead of being parallel to the prop I was more at a slight angle downward with the stick much like what I would have been when hand starting.

I was emulating my position that I use during hand starting as I don't bend down quite so far as I would with the stick. The stick requires a more parallel position and this was a 50cc which is not as high off the ground as a 120cc engine is. I am sure this is a matter of getting more familiar with how to use the stick at the proper angle with the prop.

I certainly will give it a more thorough work through once the weather around here cooperates.
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Old 01-02-2017, 01:46 PM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchnia View Post
No problem and I appreciate your comments. I think the reason I was hitting the cowl was the angle I was using the stick more than the depth, although depth could have been a factor as well. Instead of being parallel to the prop I was more at a slight angle downward with the stick much like what I would have been when hand starting.

I was emulating my position that I use during hand starting as I don't bend down quite so far as I would with the stick. The stick requires a more parallel position and this was a 50cc which is not as high off the ground as a 120cc engine is. I am sure this is a matter of getting more familiar with how to use the stick at the proper angle with the prop.

I certainly will give it a more thorough work through once the weather around here cooperates.
I watched several pilots when they first used the RCS and thats what they would do...they would try to do the same motions as when they were hand propping. I show that in the video. Once they got the idea of the straight line down the prop and off the end of the prop then they started to appreciate the technique.

Thanks again for your input, I really do appreciate it.
Keep me updated after you have used it for a while.

R
Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by T-ster
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Feb 2009
196 Posts
Once you have grip style 3, I will order two.

I tried one today on my DLE-111 and it worked extremely well. Better than a paint roller or rubber tube....
T-ster is offline Find More Posts by T-ster
Old 01-03-2017, 12:26 AM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-ster View Post
Once you have grip style 3, I will order two.

I tried one today on my DLE-111 and it worked extremely well. Better than a paint roller or rubber tube....

Better then anything my friend!...better then anything!

I am going to surprise you all how quickly I am going to get a batch of #3's done so stay tuned! I decided on the color....a Luminous Bright Red! That way when you drop it at the field you will be able to find it....not really, ...the reason is so when your using it at the field someone else will see it and ask..."What you starting your plane with?" and you can say..."Man where have you been!...this is the ONE and ONLY...ROLLING Chicken Stick! You need to get one,...no two!"...

r
Old 01-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by klowy
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Oct 2010
20 Posts
Received my order today. Well made and has a nice weight to it. Will give it a try this weekend with my DLE 222! Thanks Rich.
klowy is offline Find More Posts by klowy
Old 01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klowy View Post
Received my order today. Well made and has a nice weight to it. Will give it a try this weekend with my DLE 222! Thanks Rich.

Hay Bud, you gotta get back with me on how it does on that 222....please!,..

Thanks
Richard
Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by klowy
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Oct 2010
20 Posts
Sure thing....
klowy is offline Find More Posts by klowy
Old 01-03-2017, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Barry Built
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined May 2008
163 Posts
Ill take a number 3 when they are available. I don't care what color it is. After all I do have a pink snap on drill.
Thank you
Barry
Barry Built is offline Find More Posts by Barry Built
Old 01-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by dw87
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined May 2014
697 Posts
Hi
I was wondering if you had planned on having any of your sticks at the ama show in California?
dw87 is offline Find More Posts by dw87
Old 01-03-2017, 10:38 PM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Built View Post
Ill take a number 3 when they are available. I don't care what color it is. After all I do have a pink snap on drill.
Thank you
Barry

I'll have them ready in just a couple more weeks (maybe 3). I'll shoot your an e-mail.

Check this out...I made ONE of these for my first customer!...

Thanks Barry,
R
Old 01-03-2017, 10:40 PM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw87 View Post
Hi
I was wondering if you had planned on having any of your sticks at the ama show in California?

Unfortunately no. I was trying to get a distrib to have some there but didnt get it all set that up yet. So this year you just have to look at them on the web site.

r
Old 01-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by Jason T
Canada, ON, Sudbury
Joined Sep 2015
373 Posts
After a small delay in customs, my Chicken stick arrived last night! tried some non start flips on my 35 and seems like it'll work great. The paint roller will be retired. I will have to give it a try on the ZDZ100 in four or so months when all the D$%*N snow melts!

BTW - Richard is a GREAT guy to deal with, Awesome customer service.
Thanks Rich
Jason T is offline Find More Posts by Jason T
Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 AM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason T View Post
After a small delay in customs, my Chicken stick arrived last night! tried some non start flips on my 35 and seems like it'll work great. The paint roller will be retired. I will have to give it a try on the ZDZ100 in four or so months when all the D$%*N snow melts!

BTW - Richard is a GREAT guy to deal with, Awesome customer service.
Thanks Rich

Thank you Jason, thank you for the post and thank you for your kind words!

Please give us another post when you are able to get out and start your planes.

Thanks again Jason,
Richard

Quick Reply