logo
Old 07-16-2019, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Oct 2015
240 Posts
Question
Clarifying Aura 8 Rx requirements

I am thinking about trying an Aura 8 and trying to come up to speed ahead of time on what the Rx configuration has to be. I have the option of using either Spektrum or Futaba, but it's a bit confusing on what the Rx requirements are for each, especially Spektrum.

For Spektrum, the manual says just to use 2 satellite receivers to the Aura 8's Port A and Port B. But I thought Flex told me at Joe Nall they now only recommend using full receivers like the 8010T or 9030T with the serial bus connections to the Aura 8. However, the Wiki page says (I think) to use that config for gassers, but for electrics (only) up to 120cc its ok to just use 2 satellite receivers. The Wiki also says you have to use the throttle connection from the receiver, not the Aura, but another page shows that only with PWM receivers. Then the page showing diagrams of how to wire the receiver connections only shows one satellite receiver to the Aura Port A. Can some please clarify on what is really required for an Aura 8 when using Spektrum?

With Futaba, can I just use a R7003B Rx and connect the SBUS to the Aura 8, or do I have to use an R7008B to get 6+ channels?

A second question on the Futaba setup is that the Wiki says when the Rx is connected to the Aura 8 via SBUS, the ports on the Rx are also available. What would that be used for? Won't the Rx channels 1-8 get the same signals as the Aura 8's channels 1-8?

Thanks for all the help!
BHFG is offline Find More Posts by BHFG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-16-2019, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,035 Posts
I can't speak to the Spectrum stuff. However, I've got several Auras on Futaba.

Yes, you can use any SBus receiver and send all the channels to the Aura over one cable. You can use the Aura software to send any of the channels to any of the Aura's physical servo ports. So if had an 18 channel system (like with an 18SZ) you could assign channels 3-11 to the Aura outputs and still use channels 1 and 2 on the receiver. This is an easy way to gain a few extra channels. You only need stabilized flight surfaces on the Aura. So with some creative setup you can run Rudder, Aileron, Elevator on the Aura and keep the Throttle, Flaps, Lights, Ignition, Choke, etc on the RX outputs. You can also use extra receiver channels to control gain and turn mixes on and off on the aura. It is a very powerful system.
dshriver is online now Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 07-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Oct 2015
240 Posts
dsriver, Thanks! This helps understand the Futaba setup. It seems a bit simpler than the Spektrum, at least on the connections.

Now just need someone to unscramble the Spektrum confusion.
BHFG is offline Find More Posts by BHFG
Old 07-16-2019, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
977 Posts
All you have to do is plug in a DSMX satellite to the AURA 8 and use it like an 8 channel reciever.. I have done this many times on 30cc airframes with no problems and they work really well..
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 07-17-2019, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,645 Posts
Same here, I use 2 DSMX sat's and have never had an issue
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,474 Posts
i can agree with the above 2 posts.. i just to my disappointment got the flex 170 and the aura is awesome and easy for spektrum just plug in the sat's and you are good to go... i can't say one good thing about the rest of that airplane though.
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 07-22-2019, 08:22 AM
Find More Posts by MarkU1967
United States, IN, Chesterton
Joined Sep 2016
394 Posts
When I talked to Dave at Flex Innovations, he recommend to me to not use the two Spektrum Sats on my gassers. I think it had to do with possible vibration issues. He suggested that I use a separate stand alone Rx and hook up the SRXL port from that Rx to the Port B on the Aura. It is of course you would use the jumper extensions provided with the Aura 8.

Another thing I do to supply more power to the Aura 8 is to jumper any unused ports on the Aura 8 with free ports on the Rx. You must remove the signal wire from that jumper though. At least that's what I did. You might want to check on that last statement though. I'm pretty sure you could still use the Channel 1 port on the Aura 8 to control your throttle but I go straight from the Rx port with my throttle. In my mind, it frees up another port to add a voltage only jumper to the Aura 8.
MarkU1967 is offline Find More Posts by MarkU1967

Quick Reply