logo
Old 02-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,059 Posts
This engine does look nice, I hope it turns out to run well. How do the reeds look? A friend's EME had the reeds touching the crank!
Did I miss the post that listed the price?
ghoffman is online now Find More Posts by ghoffman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
This engine does look nice, I hope it turns out to run well. How do the reeds look? A friend's EME had the reeds touching the crank!
Which size EME?
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 02-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,059 Posts
It was an EME 60, but once he figured that out (it was a very small interference) it ran well. IIRC, all he did was add another reed block gasket and that took care of it.
ghoffman is online now Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 02-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Find More Posts by raydar
Joined Nov 2009
1,179 Posts
Quote:
The engine does look nice and the throttle responce on the 24 10 mejzlik did give alot of promise. DJengines has been in contact with me and has offered full suport to get this running right and im sure we will, I really hope it does not turn out to be my old ignition as I would hate to have put a bad light on this product due to my incompetence . Prob will not get the chance to run this engine again till the weekend and thats if weather allows, will update how the engine performs when this small issue is resolved.

PS; reeds are in one piece.

You will need to contact DJengines for the intended retail price as I dont know.
raydar is offline Find More Posts by raydar
Old 02-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by RCEXTREMEPOWER
United States, GA, Auburn
Joined Jan 2008
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
I'm not sure I'm wild about those plastic discs limiting the rod movement. I know some engines used steel washers on the wristpin which were a disaster as they wore out releasing particles into the engine as they slowly went away.
The JC 30 is the only engine I know of that used steel washers, they were soft metal and was a lose fit on the wriest pin, As the engine was banging up and down the washer blew into little peace's destroying the engine.

The system they are using in the DJ72 is the same Zenoah has been using for years.

Milton
RCEXTREMEPOWER is offline Find More Posts by RCEXTREMEPOWER
Old 02-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by cap23244
CAP 232'S AND COLT 44'S
United States, OH, Warren
Joined Jan 2011
584 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but I have been off line for a few months now. It turns out the issue was a shorted wire harness to the Y axis stepper motor.
can you pm me so I can purchase them. also do you take paypal
thank you
cap23244 is offline Find More Posts by cap23244
Old 02-21-2015, 03:29 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,179 Posts
Took the DJ 72cc to the field today and got her running well, top end issues are resolved. I believe the problem was the reed block to carb adaptor plate had a high point cast in to it causing a poor seal around the pulse port channel, I sanded the casting flat and rebuilt and tuning was no problem.

Also fitted the rcame ignition but only after the running issue was resolved.
Last edited by raydar; 02-21-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,179 Posts
Ran the engine up on the xoar 24 8 beechwood, throttle response was rapid, peak rpm was only 6700 rpm?.

Fitted the 24 10 mejzlik full hub, 6700 rpm was achieved, again throttle response was good. At this point I decided to take some video of the engine and as I neared the end of the recording the muffler blew open when I went full throttle. Muffler bolts were tight, the flange was still bolted on solid after the failure.

DJ 72cc Mejzlik 24 10 full hub (2 min 53 sec)

Tried the mejzlik again on a 55cc size muffler, lost 100 rpm.

Engine does run well and idles well.
Last edited by raydar; 02-21-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,179 Posts
Next was the falcon 25 8w, with less than 2 litres fuel through the engine and a 55cc muffler fitted that is known to rob 100 rpm of stock mufffler a hot engine 6500 rpm was achieved.

Although this engine is not fully run in I can tell it has more power than my EME 60 but wont ever touch my MVVS 58 on pipe. It will however power any 60cc size bird no problem and although not flown I think it will have a nice clean throttle response unlike most tuned pipe setups. Vibrations are hard to gauge on a the bench, I cant say it was silky smooth but I was not alarmed with the vibrations either after it was tuned.

Video was shot in 4k and is 1. 3 gigs in size despite being only 3 minutes 40 seconds long, will post it as soon as its ready.

DJ 72cc (4 min 0 sec)
Last edited by raydar; 02-22-2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by birdbrain
Joined Oct 2009
355 Posts
Muffler have too much curry ?
birdbrain is offline Find More Posts by birdbrain
Old 02-22-2015, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by antique
older than dirt,
United States, AZ, Williams
Joined Aug 2007
2,074 Posts
You can run a Y connetor for the tach
antique is offline Find More Posts by antique
Old 02-22-2015, 03:11 AM
Joined Nov 2009
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique View Post
You can run a Y connetor for the tach
I worked that out Antique, im using a Y lead in the videos.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,179 Posts
Double post
Last edited by raydar; 02-27-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,179 Posts
DJengines has been in contact and has took great interest in my issue with the carb adaptor and I believe is already taking steps to check and rectify the problem at the factory. I have been informed that a new muffler is in the post already.

Also got another litre through this engine on the bench today so thats about 3 in total, its producing a solid 6500 to 6600rpm on the 25 8w falcon and undersized muffler, I dont think it will ever have class leading power for displacement but it is performing well enough to swing a 25 8w without a pipe so thats not bad at all for a motor I believe this engine will retail for under $300 dollars.

I have to say at this time I am finding the engine to be very EME like in the way it runs, it has a great idle and is very consistant. I have no worrys about installing it in a airframe now which is good as there is not much fun in flying the tuning bench at the club. Will prob pull my EME 60 with starter off my 89" sukhoi and fit the DJ 72cc in its place, it should be a simple straight swap as they share the same mounting footprint. Will be bags of power for this plane, hopefully get a good few gallons through the engine before the summers out. Thats not aknock at my EME 60 its a fine engine, it will have a home to go to.

I will just take the time out to mention that I have no invested interest in this product or any other rc related product, I dont intend to profit from this product any other rc related products and I am in no way paid any moneys by any third party to do so, im just doing this review for fun and am trying to be as fair and non biased as I can.
Last edited by raydar; 02-27-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by djpower
Joined Mar 2011
87 Posts
Hi ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydar View Post
DJengines has been in contact and has took great interest in my issue with the carb adaptor and I believe is already taking steps to check and rectify the problem at the factory. I have been informed that a new muffler is in the post already.

Also got another litre through this engine on the bench today so thats about 3 in total, its producing a solid 6500 to 6600rpm on the 25 8w falcon and undersized muffler, I dont think it will ever have class leading power for displacement but it is performing well enough to swing a 25 8w without a pipe so thats not bad at all for a motor I believe this engine will retail for under $300 dollars.

I have to say at this time I am finding the engine to be very EME like in the way it runs, it has a great idle and is very consistant. I have no worrys about installing it in a airframe now which is good as there is not much fun in flying the tuning bench at the club. Will prob pull my EME 60 with starter off my 89" sukhoi and fit the DJ 72cc in its place, it should be a simple straight swap as they share the same mounting footprint. Will be bags of power for this plane, hopefully get a good few gallons through the engine before the summers out. Thats not aknock at my EME 60 its a fine engine, it will have a home to go to.

I will just take the time out to mention that I have no invested interest in this product or any other rc related product, I dont intend to profit from this product any other rc related products and I am in no way paid any moneys by any third party to do so, im just doing this review for fun and am trying to be as fair and non biased as I can.
Thank you for your test movie!!!

Our new website: www.djengines.com
djpower is offline Find More Posts by djpower

Quick Reply