logo
Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,335 Posts
I just realized the 330SC was bumped to a 92" and 1581 sq inch wing area. Maybe I was thinking about the Edge 540. That's a great weight and power with the G6000. I was getting almost 35 pounds of pull on the Rapala with the 23x10 EL Mejzlik, so the power and speed in the video makes a lot of sense.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-16-2016, 05:31 AM
Find More Posts by NashVegas
"CrashVegas" more appropriate!
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2014
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
I just realized the 330SC was bumped to a 92" and 1581 sq inch wing area. Maybe I was thinking about the Edge 540. That's a great weight and power with the G6000. I was getting almost 35 pounds of pull on the Rapala with the 23x10 EL Mejzlik, so the power and speed in the video makes a lot of sense.
Yes, my Pilot Extra is the previous 88" version. I forget the wing squares now but she came in at 18.6lbs. Gobs of power
NashVegas is offline Find More Posts by NashVegas
Old 06-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
515 Posts
I have the 360 e-flight in my extreme flight 91 yak great power about 4:30 flight time.
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman
Old 08-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by sjhanc
United States, FL, Williston
Joined Aug 2014
75 Posts
I mounted my new Dualsky 6000.8 motor in a new P-47 Razorback and began testing it at my house in the yard. Since everything in this plane is brand new I needed to get a chance to check all of it out before taking the plane to the flying field for the first flight. The motor seemed to be operating OK at first so I paid the most attention to the radio, retracts, and flight controls. When my brother came over to help out by holding the plane for full throttle runs and range checks I ran it up for a minute, then let it idle at a very slow rpm. He told me that he could hear a bearing noise in the motor so I ended the session and disassembled the plane to take it in the shop to check it out.

With the plane in the stand and the prop removed I ran the motor up several times trying to hear the noise he reported. Not able to hear anything strange I gave up and idled it down to a slow tick-over. That is when I began to hear a sharp clicking sound coming from the rear of the motor. Running it up and down several times the clicking noise gradually got louder. Not wanting to tear it up I shut it down and Emailed the dealer about the problem. He got back to me promptly and said he passed my problem on to the factory in China. I wanted 2 sets of shaft bearings and 2 shafts so that I could have spares after I replaced the bearings that were noisy.

It is a very easy job to replace the shaft bearing by removing the retaining parts in the rear, then with the fuselage restrained, a firm grip on the rotor and with a strong pull it comes right off. The bearings will push out easily with finger pressure so I had the new bearings installed in minutes and the shaft and rotor assembly back in place ready to run. It all seemed OK after that so I put the plane aside to work on another project.

When I finally got back to the P 47 to continue testing, this time I installed the scale-like spinner hub that comes with the ARF. When running the motor up I noticed a vibration at medium to high rpms that I had not noticed before. Back in the shop with the propeller removed and a dummy prop hub (no blades, but balanced) I ran the motor up to check the vibration. It was still there. Thinking the scale prop hub might be out of balance I removed it and ran it with only the dummy hub and prop nut installed. There was less vibration but still a noticeable shake and the components in the rear of the plane buzzed at higher throttle settings. Removing the prop hub, nut and washer reduced the buzz but it was still there. I have had similar problems with some other Chinese motors I own and have a collection of spares for those motors. Checking the fit of the prop drive hub I could see a wobble at very low rpms so I substituted a new collet and drive hub from my parts. This got rid of the vibration so I started putting parts back on to test each part for the buzz. When I re-installed the scale hub the wobble and the vibration came right back.

I went over to the P-51 and removed its 5 inch spinner that had been running smooth as glass for 3 years and installed it on the Dualsky motor. A run-up to 1/3 throttle produced an intense vibration so I cut it off to think this over. I took everything off of the electric motor except for the long spinner adapter that screws into the threaded hole in the end of the motor shaft. Running it up with only that part installed produced a severe vibration so I got a brand new one out of its package, installed it and got the same issue again. Running the motor very slowly so I could get close the spinner adapter was still a blur so I threaded the spinner bolt into the shaft hole. Now I could see the wobble clearly and it seems like the threaded hole in the shaft is drilled off center in the motor shaft. As a verification test I installed all of the hubs, spinner bolts, washers, etc. back on the P-51 and ran it up to check for wobble and vibration. There was none, smooth as glass at any throttle setting.

I thought, no problem, I have spare shafts for this motor, I'll just swap it out. Well it ain't that easy with this motor because the factory has installed the rotor on its shaft with a sweat fit. This means they froze the shaft to make it smaller and heated the rotor to make its hole larger. This is how you get 2 parts together that have an interference fit, meaning that the shaft diameter and the rotor's shaft hole are the same diameter or even the shaft is larger diameter than the hole it is supposed to fit in. I can't do the repair myself, I'll have to find a machine shop to press the parts off and on using the sweat method and a hydraulic press. and there is no guarantee that the new shaft is true either.

I want to fly this plane very soon so I ordered an Eflite P360 and I will swap motors, then deal with the Dualsky issue later.
sjhanc is online now Find More Posts by sjhanc
Old 08-04-2016, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by zippi
Evansville Indiana
Joined Feb 2006
692 Posts
I really hate reading stories like yours sjhanc. We are in this hobby to have fun and not be stressed out over quality issues. When the Dualsky 6000.8 motor first came out I was going to buy it but opted for the Eflite Power 360 since the Dualsky motor was fairly new on the market. the Eflite Power 360 is a power house and has been running great for 3 seasons spinning a XOAR 24X10 prop. Hope you get the problem resolved.
zippi is offline Find More Posts by zippi
Old 08-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
515 Posts
I have a brand new in the box, was going to use it on my extreme flight 91 yak, but they were out of stock then so I use the 360 e flight. Wanted to do a comparison, Have not had the time, there a big difference in price . First time I heard any one having a problem with one. Good luck

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman
Old 01-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by Royster
Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,475 Posts
Slippage?

Only thing that concerns me about the GA6000 is prop slippage on the backplate having just a single bolt.
The Elite Power 360 has 4 prop bolts on it similar to a gas engine. I don't understand why manufacturers of large electric motors don't do the same.

Anybody have any slippage problems and if you do how do you combat that?
Royster is offline Find More Posts by Royster
Old 01-14-2017, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by cosmith
Joined Aug 2014
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster View Post
Only thing that concerns me about the GA6000 is prop slippage on the backplate having just a single bolt.
The Elite Power 360 has 4 prop bolts on it similar to a gas engine. I don't understand why manufacturers of large electric motors don't do the same.

Anybody have any slippage problems and if you do how do you combat that?
I had my prop slip one time in the first few flights, but the nut had loosened. With it torqued down good I haven't had a problem. You could also consider 'softening' the throttle response in your ESC settings, this motor has a lot of instant torque!
cosmith is offline Find More Posts by cosmith
Old 01-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,475 Posts
Read on a thread someone had to drill pins in to stop the slippage. I wouldn't soften the response. Thats one reason I fly electrics and would be horrible on a 3D plane to not get that instant response.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 PM
Find More Posts by sjhanc
United States, FL, Williston
Joined Aug 2014
75 Posts
A simple fix that someone recommended to me when I was having prop slip is to make a sandpaper disk to attach to the prop driver or to the spinner backplate. I have rolls of sticky back sandpaper for my block sanders. It is a simple task to cut a hole in a piece of this sandpaper to fit the motor shaft, then trim around the edges.

The motor I had the slip problem with was a Rimfire 65cc motor spinning an APC 26-15 electric prop. Since the airframe is a GS P-51B that uses a 5 inch spinner I added the sandpaper disk to the spinner backplate behind the prop hub, problem solved.
sjhanc is online now Find More Posts by sjhanc
Old 01-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Joined Jun 2014
756 Posts
I own two planes running the G6000.8. One has a Falcon CF 24x10EL and the other a Mejzlik 23x10EL. Both are on 12s. I have 40 flights on the 91" Yak and 60 flights on the 88" Extra. I must be one of the lucky ones because neither have any slippage in the combined 100 flights.

I was brand new to big electrics when I started these projects and have been really happy with both motors. Incredible power.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashVegas View Post
I own two planes running the G6000.8. One has a Falcon CF 24x10EL and the other a Mejzlik 23x10EL. Both are on 12s. I have 40 flights on the 91" Yak and 60 flights on the 88" Extra. I must be one of the lucky ones because neither have any slippage in the combined 100 flights.

I was brand new to big electrics when I started these projects and have been really happy with both motors. Incredible power.
What flight times are you getting out of them?
Old 11-04-2017, 07:28 PM
Joined Jun 2014
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster View Post
What flight times are you getting out of them?
I'm running 5000mAh LiPo's and get 5min of hard 3D and 6min of IMAC flying.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Joined Jun 2014
756 Posts
Here's a recent video of Tim Hanstine from Northwest RC putting my Yak through the paces during eWeek at Triple Tree. The GA6000.8 sure packs a punch !

SupaTim Flying my 91" Yak (0 min 43 sec)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:51 AM
Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashVegas View Post
Here's a recent video of Tim Hanstine from Northwest RC putting my Yak through the paces during eWeek at Triple Tree. The GA6000.8 sure packs a punch !

https://vimeo.com/236316670
Looks great!
Could you give me run down on your setup please? ESC and if youíre using separate RX packs.

I currently own a 28% Krill Yak 55M which has a DA70 in it but Iím looking at converting it to an electric setup. As long as I can get mixed flying in for 6.30min (which is the same as my 72Ē 3D HS Extra 330) Iíll be happy

Quick Reply