logo
Old 04-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by 1bigben
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2008
716 Posts
GP Quality

I think the meaningful difference is that GP touts their higher quality being that they are made in Taiwan and not China. Might be a classic case of the two horses being one stall apart but we already seem to understand that GP engines produce more power than a DLE.
1bigben is offline Find More Posts by 1bigben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Mar 2010
1,719 Posts
Engine looks nice and I have a few planes that would be very happy with this engine...

However, based on GP's history they always come out with an "EVO" version 1-2 years later that has more performance and fixes issues... they then discontinue the original version.

So will the 76 go down the same path as the previous engines?
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 04-14-2019, 05:44 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,864 Posts
Most likely this will happen.It's never a good idea to buy anything until it's been out in the real world test for a while.Thats why you see deals like free shipping on pre-orders when new engines come out.It will probably have a few bugs like anything else to get work out, and they will in time.
closetguy is online now Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 04-14-2019, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,044 Posts
Yep^
DLE-111 V1, V2 whatever, then discontinued for DLE-120 Vwhatever. How about actually testing them at the company’s expense versus the customer’s expense?
ghoffman is online now Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
Yep^
DLE-111 V1, V2 whatever, then discontinued for DLE-120 Vwhatever. How about actually testing them at the companyís expense versus the customerís expense?
Remember even DA has had issues. The 120 blew jugs off at first. The 170 blew jugs off, needed a modified Reed block to help with fuel flooding, had power reduced by different timing and different pistons. The 200 broke cranks. It appears most companies have issues and then corrects them.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 04-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,051 Posts
james…..i don't disagree. while i have had not experienced this personally, what sucks is when the changes are made. i think that's what gary was alluding to with the early DLE engines. (Gary, the 111 is still in production but the early versions are unsupported) i have never had a GP but it seems that the 123 is well proven. i'd like to see Tim from NW RC randomly pick a few of these engines and just beat on them. He is a GP dealer and knows the engines.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 04-14-2019, 11:53 AM
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
james…..i don't disagree. while i have had not experienced this personally, what sucks is when the changes are made. i think that's what gary was alluding to with the early DLE engines. (Gary, the 111 is still in production but the early versions are unsupported) i have never had a GP but it seems that the 123 is well proven. i'd like to see Tim from NW RC randomly pick a few of these engines and just beat on them. He is a GP dealer and knows the engines.
I would also agree that it does suck for the 111 owners and it appears there are no replacement parts and you can't convert to a 120. You have to buy a DLE120. However the 120 has been out for a long time and maybe that version will be around for a long time to come.

FWIW, I just bought a DLE120. I was thinking of the GP123 but decided on the DLE for now.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,787 Posts
So we would rather the engine companies not improve their products over time?

Seriously, if you don't like change, don't be an early adopter of a new product and buy when a product has matured through early development stages. Yes we are beta testers at times and I don't see that changing. The various companies we depend on aren't usually huge with unlimited development budgets and manpower. Be thankful we still have them at all.

I was not happy with an early GP61 as it had multiple problems. But I see GP as a company that responds to problems and tries hard to improve their products over time. The problems I had with my 61 have for the most part been resolved in later production runs. I would certainly consider another GP engine when one of their engines fits my needs.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 04-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Mar 2010
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Remember even DA has had issues. The 120 blew jugs off at first. The 170 blew jugs off, needed a modified Reed block to help with fuel flooding, had power reduced by different timing and different pistons. The 200 broke cranks. It appears most companies have issues and then corrects them.
This is true, however, Da does provide free updates to existing users and you can have a DA-120 that is 5 years old and send it for any updates, they are free.

I don't think GP will do this? If you guys do please let us know I'd like to try one.
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 PM
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
This is true, however, Da does provide free updates to existing users and you can have a DA-120 that is 5 years old and send it for any updates, they are free.

I don't think GP will do this? If you guys do please let us know I'd like to try one.
The 123 had issues at first and they sent all original buyers a new 123. I have had a good number of DA engines and only 1 170 I had needed an update. Reed block. I've sent most in for a check over after some hours on them and for issues. That was at my cost.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:27 AM
Find More Posts by haribo
Joined Dec 2016
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
China considers Taiwan as it's own but Taiwan's look out on that,they are no part of China and never will be.
UK is getting out of the EU and now Gibraltar will be recognized as a colony so it's more than likely they lose that land.
haribo is offline Find More Posts by haribo
Old 04-17-2019, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,044 Posts
All I am saying is they should sponsor a couple of people, let them fly the heck out of them then make any necessary changes before selling them.
ghoffman is online now Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 04-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,211 Posts
Gp76 now in stock at AMR-RC.com
JoeT is online now Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 04-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by rcnorth
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined May 2014
200 Posts
I want one, but until there is a 2-1 header for it I can't use the engine.
rcnorth is offline Find More Posts by rcnorth
Old 04-17-2019, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by banditpowdercoat
Canucklehead
Canada, BC, Malakwa
Joined Aug 2017
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnorth View Post
I want one, but until there is a 2-1 header for it I can't use the engine.

I know a guy that I;m sure could mill up some adapters to DA exhaust
banditpowdercoat is offline Find More Posts by banditpowdercoat

Quick Reply