Old 09-10-2019, 05:51 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Smith View Post
Wonder why they went away from being able to just rock the crankshaft to get a spark.--Smitty
I always heard it was a safety thing....so just a bump like by accident or a child couldn't cause the engine to fire up
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,229 Posts
It's a truly worth while safety feature. The DA ignitions require a 250 RPM speed to fire the ignition.

Rocking the prop. with ignitions that don't require a certain RPM to fire is a very dangerous thing to do. I regret to say, I have seen this result in disaster.
Flybye Steve is online now Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 09-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by lamarkeiko
United States, OR, Grants Pass
Joined Jul 2012
27 Posts
Thanks for the replies back. I think I'll pass on the tongue method.
I'm going to give it a try now. If I see a spark, I'll reconnect the plug and see if I can start the engine. I just recently installed a new DLE 30 Walbro carb that hasn't been tried yet also.

Lamar
lamarkeiko is offline Find More Posts by lamarkeiko
Old 09-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
3W/ZDZ Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,215 Posts
>>> I think I'll pass on the tongue method.<<<

make video if you change your mind
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 09-10-2019, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
585 Posts
It's a bug sold as a feature. A hall effect sensor used by most is either open or closed as the magnet passes and speed makes no difference. A da setup senses a/c voltage from the magnet/coil design and requires a bit of speed to generate the signal and fires either on a rising or lowering voltage swing. This difference in operation has been sold as a feature. Hall effect is more precise but both work fine.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 09-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Joined Jul 2012
27 Posts
I confirmed that my plug has a spark when I flip the prop. I reinstalled the plug, fueled up, choked the carb and tried flipping the prop. I can't seem to draw any fuel from the tank to the carb. With the tank full, I pumped fuel through the vent line to see if I could get fuel pushed to the carb. The gas could be seen in the line getting to the carb inlet, but when I would flip the prop the fuel seems to just go back toward the fuel tank. I don't have an electric starter strong enough to use. Would an electric starter help with getting the fuel flow to the carb, or do I have a diaphragm or fuel line issue?

Lamar
Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch View Post
It's a bug sold as a feature. A hall effect sensor used by most is either open or closed as the magnet passes and speed makes no difference. A da setup senses a/c voltage from the magnet/coil design and requires a bit of speed to generate the signal and fires either on a rising or lowering voltage swing. This difference in operation has been sold as a feature. Hall effect is more precise but both work fine.
Not true, the new RcExcel ignitions are programmed for the magnets speed of open and closed, hence requiring a faster flip to fire. And this is not just my opinion but rather told to me by Milton at RcExtreme power.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Old 09-10-2019, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
Not true, the new RcExcel ignitions are programmed for the magnets speed of open and closed, hence requiring a faster flip to fire. And this is not just my opinion but rather told to me by Milton at RcExtreme power.
Ace, what he is saying about the DA ignition is true and the spark at a higher cranking speed is a byproduct of the inductive pickup. Not so for hall effect sensors as there the spark triggering is controlled by the electronics as you point out here and in previous threads. I noted the same in post 13 above.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Joined Nov 2016
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarkeiko View Post
I confirmed that my plug has a spark when I flip the prop. I reinstalled the plug, fueled up, choked the carb and tried flipping the prop. I can't seem to draw any fuel from the tank to the carb. With the tank full, I pumped fuel through the vent line to see if I could get fuel pushed to the carb. The gas could be seen in the line getting to the carb inlet, but when I would flip the prop the fuel seems to just go back toward the fuel tank. I don't have an electric starter strong enough to use. Would an electric starter help with getting the fuel flow to the carb, or do I have a diaphragm or fuel line issue?

Lamar
Put a small squirt of gas directly in the carb inlet and try to start it. Sometimes the engine firing is enough to wake up a carb with sticky internal parts.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:48 PM
Joined Nov 2016
585 Posts
Double post
Old 09-10-2019, 10:50 PM
Joined Nov 2016
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
Must be pretty damned new since none of mine I tested currently respond this way. Some just might but I didn't check them all. Let's not lose the word "most" I cleverly tossed in there just to prevent being called a liar due to enhanced technologies. Yes, some hall effects do respond to speed based on module designs. "Most" don't.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch View Post
Must be pretty damned new since none of mine I tested currently respond this way. Some just might but I didn't check them all. Let's not lose the word "most" I cleverly tossed in there just to prevent being called a liar due to enhanced technologies. Yes, some hall effects do respond to speed based on module designs. "Most" don't.
I first ran into the RCexl modules that required a bit cranking speed in about 2015 or so. Prior to that they all sparked immediately as the magnet passed the sensor. No big deal but it makes timing more difficult. I just use a sensor tester when timing.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 09-11-2019, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by Harold Smith
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Dec 2009
624 Posts
I said it before, loosen the big screw on the carb, put some pressure into the tank until fuel comes out of the plate were you loosen the screw, tighten the screw and the engine will start. Don't know how many times someone needs to tell you how to fix the problem.---Smitty
Harold Smith is offline Find More Posts by Harold Smith
Old 09-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Smith View Post
I said it before, loosen the big screw on the carb, put some pressure into the tank until fuel comes out of the plate were you loosen the screw, tighten the screw and the engine will start. Don't know how many times someone needs to tell you how to fix the problem.---Smitty
Smitty, I did exactly as you said. After I loosened the screw on the plate, I pumped fuel into the tank until it started leaking out the plate. I retightened the plate screw, turned on power, flipped the prop, and the engine fired up the first time. Your my hero. Thanks for the help.
Sorry I missed your first post. I think I thought you were addressing it to someone else.

Lamar
Old 09-12-2019, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by Harold Smith
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Dec 2009
624 Posts
Glad it worked for you. Believe me I chased that same problem on a DLE-61 new right out of the box. ---Smitty
Harold Smith is offline Find More Posts by Harold Smith

Quick Reply