logo

2019 USRA Race of Champions - Oct 11-13

The USRA 2019 Race of Champions will prove once again how exciting giant-scale pylon racing can be, with fast action racing and speeds that routinely exceed that of NASCAR and Formula One motor sports, with steady year on year growth.

Splash

USRA 2019 Race of Champions!!

The USRA 2019 Race of Champions will prove once again how exciting giant-scale pylon racing can be, with fast action racing and speeds that routinely exceed that of NASCAR and Formula One motor sports, with steady year on year growth.

Race days are October 11-13 at the California City Municipal Airport. Gate proceeds benefit California City youth STEM activities. This year’s event shows a significant increase of new to giant scale racing competitors as well as an ongoing trend of giant scale racers who have not raced in USRA for many years returning for this event. With close to 30 pilots already registered and over $8,000 in purses and prizes, this year’s event is looking to be one for the record books, as the top pilots vie to beat the current world record of 1.06.100 (6 laps on a 1,600 foot course), held by Jeff Powell since 2016. We are excited by the strong support provided by industry stalwarts and regional businesses. Sponsors include Desert Aircraft, APC Propellers, Tru-Turn, Horizon Hobby, Samys Camera, Antelope Valley Ford, Visalia Hobbies, Team Extra Air Racing and Aviation Field Services.

Produced by Fly Low, Fly Fast Inc. and held at the California City Airport, the Race of Champions is a test of skills and endurance as pilots keep their airplanes in the running over three days, building to the winner take all championship trophy races held on the final day.

Event information can be found at flylowflyfast.com

About the USRA:

Created in 1991 by Tom Easterday and Cliff Adams, giant scale air racing is patterned after the Reno National Air Races as a way to bring the excitement, sound, color and history of air racing up close to the public and the world of radio control enthusiasts. Since its inception, giant scale air racing has evolved steadily into a sport where speed and technology advancements know no bounds. Speeds in excess of 250 miles per hour make giant scale air racing one of the fastest motor sports in the world! For more details, please visit www.usrainfo.org

Unlimitied Practice (5 min 0 sec)

Old 10-15-2019, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by planebender
www.planebenderproducts.c om
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,145 Posts
Just returned home from a long 6 days. First year racing the Limited Gas class. Last time I raced USRA was 2004 in the Unlimited class and we got 2nd.
Had a great time and want to thank all the promoters and volunteers who worked very hard to put this really cool event on.
I also want to thank my Sponsors:
JR ProPo, Desert Aircraft, Duralite Flight Systems, Tru-Turn, Dave Goesch, Lenny Jantz, Bill Fitzgerald, Dave Smith and Keith Fick.
planebender is offline Find More Posts by planebender
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,599 Posts
Nice to see the giant scale racing still kicking. Wish there were more events as it’s something I would get into if there was.
Loved going to all the old Madera races.
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Old 10-16-2019, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by G.W.
Joined Aug 2015
22 Posts
I’d love some more pictures on the big yellow Cosmic Wind. I’m building one very similar don’t have much info on how the wing and landing gear are mounted.
G.W. is offline Find More Posts by G.W.

Quick Reply