Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
When I grow up I want a canopy
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jun 2009
56 Posts
Re: New DL-55 and DL-111

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5air View Post
my propeller was balance...well just the tips. And i have a sickness lol....is check the firewall bolts and the standoff/engine bolts in everyflight . Im trying right now to learn about tune my engine...and i think need to mess up more with the low needle.
Hey f5air , I'm fairly new to this gas scene myself . It's a blast though .

My buddy tuned my motor for me and it has been extremely reliable . When he had the top-end where he liked it (just a tad bit rich) he would adjust the low end by starting at full throttle . He would then very slowly , a click at a time , start lowering the throttle . He was listening for a gurgle or fourstroking sound . He had it at about 1/2 throttle and got the sound so I shut the motor off and he leaned the low end 1/8 turn . I start the motor then , go to full throttle and do this all over again till I can get the throttle all the way down without the gurgle . He does this along with checking transition from idle to full throttle . If he got the hessitation then he knew he went too far and had to go back 1/8 turn .

Does anyone else use this method ? I don't have the greatest ear yet for tuning the gasser but I have only had to touch it once since he set it for me (top end only) .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts

I have used this method, but prefer to tune by finding the peak at high and low then adjust for transition. I find it quicker and easier.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Old 10-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Find More Posts by crazyflyboy30
Joined Jun 2009
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAirPort View Post
Neither my DL-50 or DLE-55 vibrate at all. Very smooth. Must be talking about the twins?
My DLE-111 is has no vibrate at all I got the DLE-111 becaue the DA-85 that my airplane was bilt for I was told that it would shake it apart.It is very lite airplane is only 22lb. with the DLE=111.
PS My H9 SU-26MM is almost ready to fly .
crazyflyboy30 is offline Find More Posts by crazyflyboy30
Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jan 2006
8,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken View Post
Does anyone else use this method ? I don't have the greatest ear yet for tuning the gasser but I have only had to touch it once since he set it for me (top end only) .
Yep I do that and I'm sure many others do too. I can hear when the low is way to rich (a missing sound some call 4-cycling). The key is to go in small steps so you find that "too lean" point with the most precision possible. Then you richen from there until it transitions the fastest. The same sort of logic applies to the high needle. When it no longer gains RPM at WOT you have found the leanest high needle position. It's good to go back and check each a few times before you call it done. That's because they affect each other a bit.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 11-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by leepord geko
Swiss Miss
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

Well I ran the DLE-55 today after getting the vess 23b in the backyard just to see what it would tach. I let it warm up for about a minute and then tached it at WOT and got 6300rpm. Ok where I live this is pretty good considering its only 3 degrees celcius outside and I'm using a pitts muffler. I was taching at this same temperature with a xoar 22x10 and only getting 300rpm more. I'm sure in the summer this would probably break 6600rpm and the engine only has 1 gallon through it so far. I also have a vess 23a coming in just to see how it compares.
leepord geko is offline Find More Posts by leepord geko
Last edited by leepord geko; 11-01-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by louu
go fast, dont crash.
south dirty jersey
Joined Oct 2008
1,998 Posts

sounds good man, stay warm.
louu is offline Find More Posts by louu
Old 11-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Swiss Miss
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

LOL ya I know what you mean in Edmonton, Alberta Canada we have had a 1/2 foot of snow and -10 for a week and then +20 for the next week and all the snow melted. Then because of the unexpected cold period all the leaves froze on the trees and turned from green to brown in like one day, gotta love it!
Last edited by leepord geko; 11-01-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by f5air
Fly it....fly it.
Joined Jun 2009
2,546 Posts

well yesterday i just adjust the needle a bit more....im so happy with this engine, peak the high, was getting about 7000 rpms, then went to low needle, peak it..and did check a transition, there was a bit of delay on the acceleration, so i play a bit more and got everything smooth. My spark was with a few brown color spots, not wet anymore.

The vibration went away and really smooth at idle. Helped other guy with a DLE on his engine too, its great to learn more and more on this forum and also with all the emails, pm and calls to Jody!! he really knows everything about engine tune.
f5air is offline Find More Posts by f5air
Old 11-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by Mikecam
Gettin' Lower!
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts

They make great power in the cold dense air. You might lose some RPM when it gets warmer out. One nice thing about flying two strokes up in Canada. Who would want to fly in sunny hot Florida and lose some RPM. LOL
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old 11-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Swiss Miss
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

Actually my xoar 22x10 was spinning 6700 rpm when it was summer on the second tank so because the air is thinner in the summer the prop can turn faster but has less bite so in the winter 6500rpm on the xoar is crazy at 2 degrees celcius. Also makes it easier to hover and counter the torque because of the thick air going over the ailerons.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by f5air
Fly it....fly it.
Joined Jun 2009
2,546 Posts

also is important to say that one propeller to another can gives different rpms, doesnt matter if is the same brand and the same size.
f5air is offline Find More Posts by f5air
Old 11-01-2009, 10:45 PM
RC Enthusiast
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jan 2006
8,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5air View Post
also is important to say that one propeller to another can gives different rpms, doesnt matter if is the same brand and the same size.
I have found that to be 100% true:
Xoar 22x8 7400RPM.
A different Xoar 22x8 same engine same everything 7000 RPM.

I think the shapes are identical but the wood flexes more on the 7400 one than on the 7000 one. What's weird is I think the prop that flexed less was a little lighter. So just because one guy got 7400 RPM on a certain brand and size does not mean you will on that same brand and size. You have to have him ship you his prop.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts

Another thing I have found plays a large role is humidity. Same engine and prop from a cool dry day to a hot and humid day and it will lose a couple hundred rpm.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Old 11-01-2009, 11:13 PM
RC Enthusiast
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jan 2006
8,332 Posts

A hot and humid day is less oxygen so that would make it run rich...that would certainly lose RPM. Plus you cant reject as much heat which is needed to have more power. Lately I have been flying between mid 30's up to 50 and man it spoils you. The planes float and the engines pull. When you fly almost all year round in my region you really feel a difference in flying. When hot humid summer comes it's back to lower power and less float factor...takes getting used to.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,385 Posts

Bummer, i just started my brand new DL-55 yesterday and found my ignition was cutting sporadically for the tiniest second evrey now and then. so i gotta do a little trouble shooting. The kill switch and regulator are brand new too. seemed to be wrose on low rpm than higher rpm when engines smooths out a little.
spose i'll disconect the kill switch, try it, then the regulator, try it, then the switch to see if any of those help or not. i dont think it would be the ignition.
Bam Bam is offline Find More Posts by Bam Bam

Quick Reply