Old 08-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by TomHintz
1-1/2D Pilot
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Aug 2014
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbobp View Post
So mounting it on foam doesn't do the trick?
Not so far. It seems that whatever we use to hold it on the plane transfers the vibration to the tag. We have tried elastic, straight hook and loop straps, various thicknesses of foam, all with no joy. I want to try isolating the tag in the canopy but that might mean having to take the canopy apart before and after every flight that you want to record.

We are going to work on it some more tomorrow when I don;t have a headache from it yet.
TomHintz is offline Find More Posts by TomHintz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by rcbobp
Have Fun And Fly
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Apr 2008
4,368 Posts
Before I bought my unit, I saw some videos that supposedly were taken using the SoloShot. I almost feel duped!
rcbobp is offline Find More Posts by rcbobp
Old 08-04-2015, 03:48 PM
1-1/2D Pilot
Joined Aug 2014
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbobp View Post
Before I bought my unit, I saw some videos that supposedly were taken using the SoloShot. I almost feel duped!
I've gotten some decent videos with it but on a Cub with the tag on top of the wing. It is on the fuselages on everything else is where we are having trouble. Stand by, more experimenting tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
Can it mount completely inside the plane encased in foam, or will it not pick up the signal that way?
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Old 08-05-2015, 01:03 AM
1-1/2D Pilot
Joined Aug 2014
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badams View Post
Can it mount completely inside the plane encased in foam, or will it not pick up the signal that way?
I have tried it inside the canopy and that worked but if I am hearing things right from SoloShot if you want the camera to zoom automatically we have to control the recording start and stop from the tag, not the camera which means we have to be able to push the + button on the tag before and after the flight being recorded and that means taking the canopy off and on for each flight.

I am going to play this morning step by step to see if we can figure something out. I need to go through all of the states the tag is in to see when we do and don;t have control of the camera AT the camera. Working with the SoloShot support is confusing at best and frustrating the rest of the time.

Stay tuned! We are working as hard as we can on this before I take the whole mess out in the yard and set it on fire.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 AM
1-1/2D Pilot
Joined Aug 2014
215 Posts
We just tried a solution suggested by SoloShot where we put a blank USB thumb drive in the base before starting it. This is supposed to disable the triple tap feature in the tag that is getting activated by the vibrations of a gas engine. I have tried this on twin cylinder (smoother) and single cylinder engines, same result.

Unfortunately, USB drive or not, the vibration is cycling through random start and stop recording signals on its own because of the vibration. I have tried non-stretch velcro straps (in the video) elastic straps, various thicknesses of foam rubber beneath the tag up to over an inch worth and thicker foam seems to just give the tag more room to shake no matter how tight I get the strap and the cycling through the record, stop record continues randomly.

I made a Iphone video (awful, holding plane, radio, Iphone at same time) and will either put that up on YouTube or figure something else out. That of course if I don;t just set fire to this thing and get it over with.

SoloShot2 Tag Vibrating (0 min 52 sec)
Last edited by TomHintz; 08-05-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by wfahey415
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2015
300 Posts
Donate it to some youth soccer team and take the tax write off.
wfahey415 is offline Find More Posts by wfahey415
Old 08-05-2015, 02:08 PM
1-1/2D Pilot
Joined Aug 2014
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfahey415 View Post
Donate it to some youth soccer team and take the tax write off.
I have an electric plane here someplace I need to dig that out. I'm sure it will work on electric, gliders and such, just not gassers apparently. I need to make one more video to document these issues and then I am done with this thing!
Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 AM
1-1/2D Pilot
Joined Aug 2014
215 Posts
Hang on to your undies, SoloShot came up with a one-off firmware variation that so far is letting me get video on a gasser without interruption. I will be testing it in the air on Sunday if a all possible and will post the results here and in an upcoming story/video to show the results and what we have been doing
It is looking positive though
Old 08-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by wfahey415
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2015
300 Posts
You da man Tom! Without you doing this I don't think Soloshot would have come up with any of these patches.
wfahey415 is offline Find More Posts by wfahey415
Old 08-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Find More Posts by DaleD
Jamin
Jamaica, St James Parish, Montego Bay
Joined Dec 2009
861 Posts
Looking forward to your Sunday test results. GREAT job Tom, you definitely are contributing in a big way to SoloShot's product development.

DaleD
DaleD is offline Find More Posts by DaleD
Old 08-07-2015, 01:26 AM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHintz View Post
Hang on to your undies, SoloShot came up with a one-off firmware variation that so far is letting me get video on a gasser without interruption. I will be testing it in the air on Sunday if a all possible and will post the results here and in an upcoming story/video to show the results and what we have been doing
It is looking positive though
👍🏻👍🏻
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 08-11-2015, 10:36 AM
1-1/2D Pilot
Joined Aug 2014
215 Posts
The vibration problem with the tag can be resolved with a SoloShot workaround. A blank USB thumb drive (version 2.0 only) in the base before turning anything on should disable the triple tap feature of the tag that was causing the hundreds of tiny video segments.

I posted the new segment of the review about this with video shot of faster planes to help show the increased altitude etc. Thy still need to get more vertical tracking speed but overall it is way better than it was when I first got the SoloShot.

http://flyingrc.net/soloshotvib.html
Old 08-13-2015, 11:20 AM
1-1/2D Pilot
Joined Aug 2014
215 Posts
Vertical is limited

SoloShot this morning saying that they may address the vertical tracking speed in future models with faster servo motors. We apparently are already at the maximum vertical tilting speed in the SoloShot2.

Bummer, but it is still usable for many shots. Still need the buddy with the handheld though to get all of your even mildly vertical performance.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Hey Tom.
I just got an email from Soloshot. They say there's a new feature called "Big Altitude ". For flyers. Haven't read it over yet.
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin

Quick Reply