Old 08-20-2019, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by HurtinAlbertan
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Discussion
Converting a Saito FG-17 to glow.

Dear Engine gurus,

I've got this Saito FG-17 which has been nothing but a heartache ever since I bought it. It's been a tuning nightmare, its been back to horizon twice for service. They put a new carb on and send it back and its the same.

So anyways, I'm still messing with it, I haven't given up on it just yet but I'm wondering how similar the internals are to the FA-100. Could I install a carb from a FA-100, and would the ignition work with glow fuel.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
HurtinAlbertan is offline Find More Posts by HurtinAlbertan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-20-2019, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
Yes. It willful fine on glow fuel. You just need to get the carb to fit. I believe the flow carb is a direct bolt up
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 08-20-2019, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtinAlbertan View Post
Dear Engine gurus,

I've got this Saito FG-17 which has been nothing but a heartache ever since I bought it. It's been a tuning nightmare, its been back to horizon twice for service. They put a new carb on and send it back and its the same.

So anyways, I'm still messing with it, I haven't given up on it just yet but I'm wondering how similar the internals are to the FA-100. Could I install a carb from a FA-100, and would the ignition work with glow fuel.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I have a FG 14......tried tuning like the manual recommends I had no luck ....... crazy how when I would give it throttle it had a dead spot and would quit running.......tuned it while running and it runs like a sewing machine .
Justwantafly is offline Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Last edited by Justwantafly; 08-20-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: ?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:33 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwantafly View Post
I have a FG 14......tried tuning like the manual recommends I had no luck ....... crazy how when I would give it throttle it had a dead spot and would quit running.......tuned it while running and it runs like a sewing machine .
Yeah, mine won't run on the recommended needle settings. I have open the low needle at least another 2 turns to get it to idle, then as I advance the throttle I need to lean the high to get some decent rpm. When I back off the throttle, it dies. I'm going to put the motor back on the stand where I can get needles easily and see if I can get it to run.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
Yes. It willful fine on glow fuel. You just need to get the carb to fit. I believe the flow carb is a direct bolt up
Thanks for the reply, that's what I was hoping. By the looks of things it's the route I'll have to take eventually

Quick Reply