logo
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2020, 11:20 AM
Hinckley Bill is offline
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Registered User
Hinckley Bill's Avatar
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase View Post
Wanted to take a moment to share a few things we've been working on which may be hitting the website soon...

First up is the turboprop smoke tube kit. Featuring twin 6" atomizing smoke tubes which can be indexed for alignment for true universal mounting possibilities. Mounting options makes for simple removal for turbine servicing with just 2 machine screws.

Micro-mist smoke nozzles are the smallest orifice smoke nozzles made for extremely fine misting even at the lowest operating pressures. Stainless steel & laser welded components.

Lastly, a teaser for the fogger nozzle concept. Like a micro sized fuel injector. Impressive cone shaped fog pattern. Due to the complexity of the design, keeping these at a reasonable price-point will be difficult to market.
I've got your 'original' nozzles and love them to death.


Your new ideas are intriguing but I have to ask, will the fogger nozzles really produce the effect you're showing in the extremely limited area / distance they are spraying in, inside a muffler?
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM
sweetpea is offline
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
sweetpea's Avatar
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill View Post
I've got your 'original' nozzles and love them to death.


Your new ideas are intriguing but I have to ask, will the fogger nozzles really produce the effect you're showing in the extremely limited area / distance they are spraying in, inside a muffler?
or is it more for a jet or my automobile?
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 11:36 AM
Hinckley Bill is offline
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Registered User
Hinckley Bill's Avatar
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
or is it more for a jet or my automobile?
Excellent point!
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 11:49 AM
JuStOnE is offline
Find More Posts by JuStOnE
1988 IAC Unlimited Champion
JuStOnE's Avatar
United States, PA, Lumberville
Joined Jul 2013
372 Posts
Just installed the fan spray nozzles on my piped DA120. Used the no-weld adapter. Very nice quality components!

It would be nice to have the hose ends broached inside for Allen wrench. Would make to very easy to hold proper indexing when tightening the nuts.

Earle
JuStOnE is offline Find More Posts by JuStOnE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 06:22 PM
crankcase is offline
Find More Posts by crankcase
www.baddogsmokes.com
crankcase's Avatar
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill View Post
I've got your 'original' nozzles and love them to death.


Your new ideas are intriguing but I have to ask, will the fogger nozzles really produce the effect you're showing in the extremely limited area / distance they are spraying in, inside a muffler?
The fogger actually is atomizing as soon it leaves the surface of the nozzle. The original flat fan nozzles have always sprayed with a flat sheet of smoke oil for the first 1.5"-2" or so as it leaves the nozzle when sprayed into the atmosphere. The expanding exhaust gas & heat is likely disrupting this sheet surface immediately. Here is a quote I made from an earlier discussion.

"Muffler or header cross section is typically less than the 1.5-2" required for full atomization, however the droplet size of expelled fluid as it leaves the surface of the nozzle is extremely small which aids in faster vaporization of smoke fluid and minimizing inherent muffler cooling and unburnt blow-by resulting in a oil covered airplane."
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 06:30 PM
crankcase is offline
Find More Posts by crankcase
www.baddogsmokes.com
crankcase's Avatar
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
or is it more for a jet or my automobile?
The concept is actually derived from a single fuel nozzle used on a jet engine fuel circuit. With that said there are a few internal high
tolerance components which make for challenging manufacturing & reasonable pricing due to machining time. This was more of a proof of concept at this point. I have built a hand full from brass & stainless.
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 06:35 PM
crankcase is offline
Find More Posts by crankcase
www.baddogsmokes.com
crankcase's Avatar
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuStOnE View Post
Just installed the fan spray nozzles on my piped DA120. Used the no-weld adapter. Very nice quality components!

It would be nice to have the hose ends broached inside for Allen wrench. Would make to very easy to hold proper indexing when tightening the nuts.

Earle
Thanks Earle. I have done a few in stainless with an internal hex as you mentioned. While not the standard as of now, This may be something that develops in the future.
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 08:54 PM
Hinckley Bill is offline
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Registered User
Hinckley Bill's Avatar
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase View Post
The fogger actually is atomizing as soon it leaves the surface of the nozzle. The original flat fan nozzles have always sprayed with a flat sheet of smoke oil for the first 1.5"-2" or so as it leaves the nozzle when sprayed into the atmosphere. The expanding exhaust gas & heat is likely disrupting this sheet surface immediately. Here is a quote I made from an earlier discussion.

"Muffler or header cross section is typically less than the 1.5-2" required for full atomization, however the droplet size of expelled fluid as it leaves the surface of the nozzle is extremely small which aids in faster vaporization of smoke fluid and minimizing inherent muffler cooling and unburnt blow-by resulting in a oil covered airplane."
You're probably at the limit of what can be done for 'atomizing' droplet size.....much more will depend on these variables:
1) Smoke oil used
2) Temperature of exhaust gas
3) Control of smoke fluid flow to throttle position (ie. minimization of un-burnt smoke fluid)
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2020, 03:41 PM
crankcase is offline
Find More Posts by crankcase
www.baddogsmokes.com
crankcase's Avatar
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
449 Posts
For the sake of discussion here are the components of the fogger nozzle. The tolerances of the swirl plug to the nozzle body are critical to achieve an acceptable and uniform spray pattern. The blind bore angle and surface finish are equally important.
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2021, 08:40 PM
Kitchenman is offline
Find More Posts by Kitchenman
Registered User
United States, FL, Hobe Sound
Joined Dec 2019
11 Posts
Love my bad dog smoke nozzles an d advice!!
Kitchenman is offline Find More Posts by Kitchenman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


Quick Reply
Message:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools