Old 04-12-2020, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by Hysot
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay
Joined Dec 2019
16 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 Tiger Moth Detailing

Hi!

I would like to share with you a project that come close to an end.
Last summer I bought an almost brand new Hangar 9 Tiger moth. It had never been flown, only had 30 min of engine break in.
The winter and a long isolation gave me time to work on adding a lot of details to that great looking airplane.

First it needed a pilot. I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars in one but still wanted something more than just a cheap plastic hangar 9 pilot. So I made my own out of an old doll from value village and sew her some clothes from a vinyl jacket bought at the same place and few other pieces of fabric I found here and there.
I 3d printed the glass trims for the goggles and made the glass with the Testors window maker.
The pilot wings pin is made out of a metal wall hanging frame hook. Cut it, filled it, scored it.

The rest of the work will follow in the next post
Hysot is offline Find More Posts by Hysot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-12-2020, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by Hysot
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay
Joined Dec 2019
16 Posts
Next, a friend gave me two vacuum formed rims from a different 1/4 scale tiger moth model and an airspeed indicator that seemed a bit too big for mine.

The rims might be a touch too big but they look so much better than the original ones. I 3d printed new hubs on which I glued the rims.
I drilled the bulges that were meant to be screws to install real slotted screws. Just have to be painted now.

The airspeed indicator needed to be corrected in size so with the help of pictures, i trimmed it, cleaned and made straps to install it onto the wing strut. I drew a new speed tape that have to send to callie-graphics.com for printing.

To add more texture to the fuselage but without big modifications, I made fake doors out of thin sheet of styrene covered with Ultracote. I also made fake hinges, aluminum door trims and chest latches for the luggage door.

I 3d printed the crash pads that I sanded and painted black

In the cockpit, I added some placards found in the real tiger moth, a control stick and I also placed the ignition LED in the front panel.

More details will follow in the next post
Old 04-12-2020, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by Hysot
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay
Joined Dec 2019
16 Posts
The windshields got some brackets made of thin styrene.

Details underneath and above the fuel tank were added. The fuel shutoff valve and the linkage, the fuel gauge, the fuel cap.
I got in order the brass tube that will go from the Fuel valve to the cowling and the fuel vent is being made right now.

I made the mirror out of a 1/8 flat aluminum profile that I polish to a mirror finish. I did have anything about 2000 grits. A couple more up to 4000 would have brought a better finish. I did polished it but I feel like finer sanding would have helped.

2 Venturi tubes were sanded and installed on each side of the fuselage.

The cowling latches are made of a slotted screw head and a hook. Their threats part have been cut and then have been glued together.
I'm experimenting right now a way to fake the hinge. I made slots at regular interval using a side cutter on a steel wire. Then i colored the slots in black.

Finally (for now), I made non slip wing thread. I made the slotted screws with tiny nails. I sawed slots on their heads.

A bunch of parts still need to be painted like the rims,. I got a can of matching red from a body shop. I need to get some primer and some 2K clear coat.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by Hysot
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay
Joined Dec 2019
16 Posts
Few details added the other day.
The fuel vent on top of the fuel tank, the key lock on the bagages door and the magnetos switches.
The pilot is complete now. She has gloves and in position for flight.
I also installed the fuel line. I had ordered a 5/32 brass tube. Sadly my estimation for the size ended up being to wrong. So for now I'm using a 3/32 aluminum tubing. Not a big deal and it's easily replaceable.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,265 Posts
Nice, I've always wanted a tiger moth.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 04-12-2020, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by Hysot
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay
Joined Dec 2019
16 Posts
I remember getting a set of plans for building one 20 years ago when I started flying rc for few years.
It was just pure hasard that i ended up getting it last summer. The right time and place. I don't regret it. Hangar 9 did a great job and it flies like a charm.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by Hysot
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay
Joined Dec 2019
16 Posts
I finished 2 foot rests. Because there is no wood behind the fabric on the side of the fuselage I couldn't have an actual hole for the foot. So it's just 2 aluminum plates glued together (one hollow and the other full painted black) with slotted nail heads.

I forgot to share earlier what I did with the oil tank. It was molded to show 2 marks in place of the straps that were holding the tank in some version of the tiger moth. I made the actual straps out of aluminum and installed them over those marks
Old 04-19-2020, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by Hysot
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay
Joined Dec 2019
16 Posts
Hi!

I've been working on modifications on the pilot. I replaced the stuffed chest by a 3d printed structure with ball joints for the arms. I saved about 40 grams and now it uses 4 magnets instead of screws to be installed in the plane. The purpose of that modification was to make a set of legs and be displayed outside the plane. I can just snap the legs on or off using magnets as well. I had to fix the paint of the right hand so it's missing on the picture.

I tried vacuum forming for the first time. Quite fun and easy. I 3d printed the strut covers and after a bit of sanding I vacuum formed them.

Finally I made what is the wing spar cover under the fuel tank with the fuel bypass pipe. Just need to be painted.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by yeager74
El grande Commedante
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Jul 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysot View Post
The windshields got some brackets made of thin styrene.

Details underneath and above the fuel tank were added. The fuel shutoff valve and the linkage, the fuel gauge, the fuel cap.
I got in order the brass tube that will go from the Fuel valve to the cowling and the fuel vent is being made right now.

I made the mirror out of a 1/8 flat aluminum profile that I polish to a mirror finish. I did have anything about 2000 grits. A couple more up to 4000 would have brought a better finish. I did polished it but I feel like finer sanding would have helped.

2 Venturi tubes were sanded and installed on each side of the fuselage.

The cowling latches are made of a slotted screw head and a hook. Their threats part have been cut and then have been glued together.
I'm experimenting right now a way to fake the hinge. I made slots at regular interval using a side cutter on a steel wire. Then i colored the slots in black.

Finally (for now), I made non slip wing thread. I made the slotted screws with tiny nails. I sawed slots on their heads.

A bunch of parts still need to be painted like the rims,. I got a can of matching red from a body shop. I need to get some primer and some 2K clear coat.
What a beautify! Thx. for sharing.
yeager74 is offline Find More Posts by yeager74
Old 04-25-2020, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by yeager74
El grande Commedante
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Jul 2010
28 Posts
Beautiful build! I wish I could get my hands on a H9 Tiger Moth. Seems to be gone from everywhere now.
yeager74 is offline Find More Posts by yeager74
Old 04-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by Hysot
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay
Joined Dec 2019
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeager74 View Post
Beautiful build! I wish I could get my hands on a H9 Tiger Moth. Seems to be gone from everywhere now.
Yeah, it's even hard to get parts for it. Look in classifieds, you might get lucky.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Hysot
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay
Joined Dec 2019
16 Posts
The remaiden has been done. Just a couple flight in. Already a broken prop. Ugh... those nose over...

I just finished to paint the pitot tube and anti slip thread. It's the only things missing on the picures.

The last picture is a before and after modifications.

Quick Reply