logo
Old 05-23-2019, 05:10 AM
Find More Posts by Pilot3DFG
Joined May 2019
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suds View Post
Here you go, I was there on Thursday when they did this - very impressive, and here is the Friday vid:
https://youtu.be/vTGn86AH4CE
Wow - that's the one. Awesome - Thank you very much.

Who sells these in USA?
Was that a high speed touch and go on the water?
Pilot3DFG is offline Find More Posts by Pilot3DFG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-23-2019, 05:40 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
Northwest RC is the US distributor for Skywing.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by B N Kontrol
United States, TX, Ben Wheeler
Joined Jan 2011
191 Posts
ARFs “are like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get” till you put in in the air.
B N Kontrol is offline Find More Posts by B N Kontrol
Old 05-24-2019, 05:04 AM
Find More Posts by Pilot3DFG
Joined May 2019
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshriver View Post
Northwest RC is the US distributor for Skywing.
Thank you for the quick reply. FG certainly is so much better than RCU. Quick replies!

These air frames look strong. I think I will have to try one of these.

I just got a PM from another member who showed a vid from an event from 2018 Chattanooga TN meet. Seems to be a high speed touch and go on the asphalt this time.
Pilot3DFG is offline Find More Posts by Pilot3DFG
Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,368 Posts
Something else to muddy the water for you. There are 91-94 inch 70cc planes out there right now that have *almost* the same fuse length as some 120cc size planes. One that come to mind is the EF 91" Laser, which stands taller and seems wider than any of the other 60-70cc planes they stand next to.

The second one that comes to mind is the 91" Edge from Skywing. Here it is with the PAU 105" Edge.

I'm sure there are others, but if you remember planes like the 98" Aeroworks 85cc Yak 54, these 70cc planes have a fuse length that's 6 inches longer than that plane had.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Old 05-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by svan
United States, IA, Marshalltown
Joined Feb 2017
294 Posts
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Hanger 9 Viking. It flies amazing and the quality is good. I built mine last winter and after seeing it fly last summer I know of 5 other guys that have gotten one. The nice thing about the Viking is that it really stands out among all the mono wing aircraft at the field and it has a great presence in the air. It also only take a few minutes more to assemble/disassemble.
svan is offline Find More Posts by svan
Old 05-25-2019, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
I’m pretty sure I’d already own a Viking if it had removable stabs. Unfortunately I can’t get it in my car.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 05-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by svan
Joined Feb 2017
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshriver View Post
I’m pretty sure I’d already own a Viking if it had removable stabs. Unfortunately I can’t get it in my car.
The design doesn’t allow for removable stabs and that is certainly a drawback for those that don’t have a trailer. I’ve been in the hobby since 1986 and always wanted a trailer but didn’t think I could justify the expense. Two years ago I bought 6x12 and set it up for my RC planes. It opened up a whole new world as it allowed me to move to 35-40% aircraft. Now I wonder how I ever lived without one!
Old 05-25-2019, 07:55 AM
Find More Posts by dldeuce
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Aug 2013
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svan View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Hanger 9 Viking. It flies amazing and the quality is good. I built mine last winter and after seeing it fly last summer I know of 5 other guys that have gotten one. The nice thing about the Viking is that it really stands out among all the mono wing aircraft at the field and it has a great presence in the air. It also only take a few minutes more to assemble/disassemble.
I have one. I've been pretty hard on it. I love it, but honestly I don't think it's put together well. If you have a chance, put your hand on the top wing of a Mamba. There's no comparison in the rigidity. The top wing attachment on the Viking is lightweight to say the least. Compare the engine box structure to any other 120 sized airplane. Again, it's lightweight, no comparison, and over time it takes damage and weakens further.

I love how the plane flies, and like I said I've been hard on it with bad landings, but mine has been a problem child. I'm pretty disappointed with the structure of it.
dldeuce is offline Find More Posts by dldeuce
Old 05-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Joined Aug 2013
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin
I'd like to see a photo eventually since I've never heard anything about this.
Then he posts the pictures showing the de-delamination.
Quote:
I am and from your pics, I still see nothing. Nothing. And I'm just weary of people that have so much to say and nothing to show.

Okay, then let me put it another way so you'll understand it... I don't believe a word you're saying. Get it now?
Don't believe your lyin' eyes guys. EF airplanes can definitely not have a quality problem.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:54 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
Then he posts the pictures showing the de-delamination.

Don't believe your lyin' eyes guys. EF airplanes can definitely not have a quality problem.
Look at the pics again and tell me what in them frightens you so much. I've been flying 3D and XA ARFs assembled in China for a long time and annual maintenance for all is typical and expected.

The CA industry does very well in aerobatic and 3D fixed wing RC and that is not going to change. So I have seen nothing in any pic posted here that scares me. If it scares you, then that's fine too. I'm not going to be the bully here.

Flying Giants is full of EF fans like me, and loaded with fans of other brands that will always find a way to worm into a "What Airframe do You Like?" thread to talk about ariframes they don't like. The brands at the top, like Extreme Flight, will always get hit first because the brands at the bottom are desperate. Kudos to Aerowork and Rocco for going out like a man. He deserves a lot of credit and respect for not wining like a little beotch at the end like some other have.

If what you see is one of those pics posted by one guy scares you -- in spite of the many guys that posted that they have may EF planes and never had or heard of that problem -- then go ahead and buy from brands that come out with two new planes every decade instead of the brands that come out with three or four every year that are always a pleasure to fly.

If what you see in one pics posted by one guy scares you, then buying EF, 3DHS, Pilot, Skywing, and AJ-Aircraft are also out of the question since they use the same building material now too.

Personally, I'm not scared. I usually put planes in the dirt long before their durability lifespan is over anyway.

I'm not scared because those of my planes that do survive go through some annual maintenance every season, just like anything else I abuse in life.

I'm not scared because most of the new planes EF, 3DHS, Pilot, Skywing, and AJ-Aircraft come out with are fun to fly and satisfy my adrenaline habit completely and keep me in the hobby longer than I should have been.

But of course, there are guys out there afraid of a little maintenance requirements. Some will insist they buy ARFs but never owned CA in their lives. Yeah right. Even the guys at my club that fly around in circles all day have to use CA once in a while.

So if you happen to come to a thread like this where the OP asks about planes you like, and guys come by to talk about plane they don't like, think hard and long about their agenda. CA is part of the hobby so get over it.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Old 05-25-2019, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,093 Posts
So, if anyone has experienced a problem with an EF plane, it must be either a lie, or it somehow doesn't matter? And all of the EF fanboi's should jump all over that pilot to try to discredit him?

And if anyone prefers another brand over EF, that makes them a whiner?

This sounds too much like listening to hard-core Harley Davidson fanatics, which is why none of my 4 bikes were a HD. Anything else is just junk, apparently, and not worthy of a low-wave. Fortunately, many current and former EF owners also own other brands and are open-minded about the good and the imperfect of every brand.
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 05-25-2019, 06:49 PM
Joined Aug 2013
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Scared?

You're a funny man. Almost every plane I have is from EF, and I'm about to buy another. My eqo sure isn't going to get butt hurt though that someone had a quality issue. The factories that make these planes aren't perfect. In a thread about which plane to spend $1300+ on, I'm fine with people sharing that kind of issue.

Update: Just bought another!
Last edited by dldeuce; 05-25-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
So, if anyone has experienced a problem with an EF plane, it must be either a lie, or it somehow doesn't matter? And all of the EF fanboi's should jump all over that pilot to try to discredit him?

And if anyone prefers another brand over EF, that makes them a whiner?

This sounds too much like listening to hard-core Harley Davidson fanatics, which is why none of my 4 bikes were a HD. Anything else is just junk, apparently, and not worthy of a low-wave. Fortunately, many current and former EF owners also own other brands and are open-minded about the good and the imperfect of every brand.
On a side note, back in my younger days, I ran Harleys and rice burners and one thing is for sure, nothing like a Harley, but you better darn sure carry a bag of wrenches and spare parts with you or you might not make it home. Hardly every opened a tool pouch on the rice burners

BTW, I still think EF planes rock!
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Old 05-25-2019, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by svan
Joined Feb 2017
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
I have one. I've been pretty hard on it. I love it, but honestly I don't think it's put together well. If you have a chance, put your hand on the top wing of a Mamba. There's no comparison in the rigidity. The top wing attachment on the Viking is lightweight to say the least. Compare the engine box structure to any other 120 sized airplane. Again, it's lightweight, no comparison, and over time it takes damage and weakens further.

I love how the plane flies, and like I said I've been hard on it with bad landings, but mine has been a problem child. I'm pretty disappointed with the structure of it.
I agree 100% that the structure is light. I’ve haven’t had any issues with mine but I recently built an 87” Pilot Challenger and it’s structure is noticeably stronger and it is 1 1/2 lbs heavier with the same setup. I have no doubt the Pilot will outlast the Viking but with the extra weight it doesn’t fly as well, particularly 3D. There is always a trade off and every airframe compromises something.
Light always flies better and the Viking pushes that to the limit.

Quick Reply