logo
Old 02-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by RobertV
increasing thrust........
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts
Detailed "Triple Build" from Team Outlaw!

That's right, folks. The long awaited ARF version of Jerry Smith's awesome OUTLAW delta is now available from Extreme Flight! Some of us guys who have been flying them for years have been selected by Chris Hinson to build/fly them and tell you all what we think. So let's get on with it!

Who is Team Outlaw?

Jerry L. Smith - Paducah, KY : Well, of course you start out with the designer and aweome pilot who has thrilled countless spectators at big events with this thing for years. Chris bought the manfacturing rights from Jerry and worked with him to make it worthy of his name.

Robert Vess - Raleigh, NC : I have been involved with Jerry from the beginning with this and his other aircraft by providing aero support, including the custom airfoil designs. And I was possibly the "second" one flying one in the late 90's, that Jerry actually built for me! I've been flying them ever since.

Larry Lewis and Jay Benson - Raleigh, NC : You say you've heard these names before? Well yes, they are cornerstones of the exciting RDRC Travelling Circus who have been flying and promoting Outlaws with enthusiasm for a few years now. They fly these things hard and fast and have done alot to increase the "awe" of this awesome design!

Larry, Jay, and I will be taking you through a three-way build in detail here and will be happy to answer any questions you may have along the way. And maybe Jerry himself will come in and post if we are lucky!
RobertV is offline Find More Posts by RobertV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts
Re: Detailed "Triple Build" from Team Outlaw!

The ARF's arrived in nice boxes (pic 1) that protected the actual packaging with attractive artwork (pics 2-3) from shipping damage. Jay opens his to reveal the goods inside (pic 4). And then Larry and Jay show off two of the three beautiful color schemes (pic 5). They must have been giggling with excitement because the girls in the background are looking at them funny!
Last edited by RobertV; 02-26-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by Simpleton
That Was a Close Shave!
USA
Joined Oct 2006
660 Posts

Tell them to quit flirting with the girls and get busy! They should be done by now. :-)
Simpleton is offline Find More Posts by Simpleton
Old 02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts

The women in the back look so proud.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by CSpaced
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts

Sweet! Looking forward to this one!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by zzw26n
United States, MI, Shelby Charter Township
Joined Mar 2006
2,033 Posts

Mr. Vess,

Can this be done in Electric? anyone doing the conversion?

thanks, Ward
zzw26n is offline Find More Posts by zzw26n
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
Tell them to quit flirting with the girls and get busy! They should be done by now. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
The women in the back look so proud.
You can't forget the ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
Sweet! Looking forward to this one!
So are we! These things are real nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzw26n View Post
Mr. Vess,
Can this be done in Electric? anyone doing the conversion?
thanks, Ward
You bet! In fact, I intend to do one of mine as a high power electric version with a Neumotor, etc. It will be new to me but I have some good folks to consult on all that. Stay Tuned!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
That's right, folks. The long awaited ARF version of Jerry Smith's awesome OUTLAW delta is now available from Extreme Flight! Some of us guys who have been flying them for years have been selected by Chris Hinson to build/fly them and tell you all what we think. So let's get on with it!

Who is Team Outlaw?

Jerry L. Smith - Paducah, KY : Well, of course you start out with the designer and aweome pilot who has thrilled countless spectators at big events with this thing for years. Chris bought the manfacturing rights from Jerry and worked with him to make it worthy of his name.

Robert Vess - Raleigh, NC : I have been involved with Jerry from the beginning with this and his other aircraft by providing aero support, including the custom airfoil designs. And I was possibly the "second" one flying one in the late 90's, that Jerry actually built for me! I've been flying them ever since.

Larry Lewis and Jay Benson - Raleigh, NC : You say you've heard these names before? Well yes, they are cornerstones of the exciting RDRC Travelling Circus who have been flying and promoting Outlaws with enthusiasm for a few years now. They fly these things hard and fast and have done alot to increase the "awe" of this awesome design!

Larry, Jay, and I will be taking you through a three-way build in detail here and will be happy to answer any questions you may have along the way. And maybe Jerry himself will come in and post if we are lucky!
Sounds awesome! I might have to get one sometime.

50%

p.s. here's a pic from last year:

50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,375 Posts

Team Outlaw and FG members, don't cuss me guys, please! I have been made aware that one of the photos in my instruction manual shows improper servo orientation. ARRRGGHHHHH!!!
I do my best to be as accurate and thorough in writing our manuals, but I am human and occasionally make mistakes. Please see the attached photos that show the proper mounting orientation of the elevon servos. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Now that that is out of the way, I am very honored to have Team Outlaw here detailing the assembly process, set-up and dialing in of the Outlaws. These guys are the authorities on these airframes and can share their experience in getting the best performance from this amazing aircraft.
Now, back to our regularly scheduled program!
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM
That Was a Close Shave!
USA
Joined Oct 2006
660 Posts

One of you guys NEEDS this Jett 30 BSE AAC! Sells for $300 new (did I type that right? $300 for a .30?) and I'll sell it for less than half that, shipped. The carb will rotate so the needle comes out the exhaust side. I bet it doesn't have 5 tanks thru it.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50%plane View Post
Sounds awesome! I might have to get one sometime.50%
p.s. here's a pic from last year:
It looks like only Larry had a "little captain in him" when your photo was taken. And, yes, you need an Outlaw, brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Team Outlaw and FG members, don't cuss me guys, please! I have been made aware that one of the photos in my instruction manual shows improper servo orientation. ARRRGGHHHHH!!!
I do my best to be as accurate and thorough in writing our manuals, but I am human and occasionally make mistakes. Please see the attached photos that show the proper mounting orientation of the elevon servos. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Now that that is out of the way, I am very honored to have Team Outlaw here detailing the assembly process, set-up and dialing in of the Outlaws. These guys are the authorities on these airframes and can share their experience in getting the best performance from this amazing aircraft.
Now, back to our regularly scheduled program!
Thanks for popping in and clearing that up, Chris! We hope to hear from you a bunch during the build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
One of you guys NEEDS this Jett 30 BSE AAC! Sells for $300 new (did I type that right? $300 for a .30?) and I'll sell it for less than half that, shipped. The carb will rotate so the needle comes out the exhaust side. I bet it doesn't have 5 tanks thru it.
That motor has been discussed a bunch around here and I would be surprised if someone didn't jump right on it. Was it ever run too lean? Why are you selling it? You should just bolt-up an Outlaw behind it and have some fun yourself!
Last edited by RobertV; 02-26-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by bigredav2002
Joined Jan 2006
180 Posts

So is the April 19 Flyin at RDRC going to be the unofficial "Gathering of the OUTLAWS"?
Wes
bigredav2002 is offline Find More Posts by bigredav2002
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
That Was a Close Shave!
USA
Joined Oct 2006
660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
That motor has been discussed a bunch around here and I would be surprised if someone didn't jump right on it. Was it ever run too lean? Why are you selling it? You should just bolt-up an Outlaw behind it and have some fun yourself!
No, it's had a few flights on a Weston Cougar 3D plane (wasn't a very good match for that, and I hated the plane). It was the hot motor for Open B Combat, but I quit flying combat before I ever used it. I can take pics up the exhaust port and it doesn't even have any color. I have about a jillion glow engines and am going more electric all the time, I'll just never use it.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by jaybenson
Joined Sep 2006
414 Posts

The book says glue the sub fin on first but I wanted to establish center at the front so to do this I temp. mounted the supplied mount and marked centers. I'm useing a homemade mount from my last Outlaw to keep the motor as far back as posible. So I had to relocate the blind nuts. The pushrods in the kit are the correct metric thread for the blind nuts and worked well pulling them into there new position.
jaybenson is offline Find More Posts by jaybenson
Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by Coors2u
Hauling Mash.
Raleigh,NC
Joined Jan 2006
385 Posts

Jay, there seems to be some Roanoke Rapids residue still on that engine.
Coors2u is offline Find More Posts by Coors2u

Quick Reply