logo
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by Dr Evil
jtec pitts builder
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2010
698 Posts
Looks good Jerry
Here is a pic of somthing that mite help in your shop and it is cheep and folds up when your done. And no i didnt steel it from AL he needs his for what it was intended for LOL
Later Dr. E
Dr Evil is offline Find More Posts by Dr Evil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 PM
tl3
Find More Posts by tl3
tl3
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Aylett
Joined Feb 2006
763 Posts
Who is Gean, and what are you doing in his pool to make it need chlorine?
tl3 is offline Find More Posts by tl3
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by Dr Evil
jtec pitts builder
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2010
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl3 View Post
Who is Gean, and what are you doing in his pool to make it need chlorine?
This is a family show i cant say LOL
Dr Evil is offline Find More Posts by Dr Evil
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 PM
tl3
Find More Posts by tl3
tl3
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Aylett
Joined Feb 2006
763 Posts
Hey Jerry, one of those "airplane stands" could be helpful when you've been into the pineapple juice...
tl3 is offline Find More Posts by tl3
Old 12-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by Jerry_Hailey
IMAC Junkie
Lexington,NC
Joined Sep 2009
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capthis View Post
I have actually seen an airplane built with the servos on top.... PLEASE DON"T DO THAT! It was *****!

Mr. Porter was making a joke to get me to look,

If you look at the picture you will see I was working on the bottom of the stab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl3 View Post
Hey Jerry, one of those "airplane stands" could be helpful when you've been into the pineapple juice...

I don’t think that stand would hold me up after the Pineapple juice. I’m bringing some to the Mason Dixon IMAC event. Show the Yanks how we roll in Redneck land.

Dr Evil- I could use a walker like that, Might get me to fly straight.
Jerry_Hailey is offline Find More Posts by Jerry_Hailey
Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by Downhumpty
Back to the Basics!
Willow Spring, NC. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,051 Posts
But... did you look?

Looking good Mr. Hailey! I was wanting to come over this week... Customer calls this morning while Alex, Ashley and I was on the way to the field to bring in the new year flying and needs help the rest of the week... Go figure.

Enjoyed our time at the field with our flying friends. Great food too!
Downhumpty is offline Find More Posts by Downhumpty
Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 PM
IMAC Junkie
Lexington,NC
Joined Sep 2009
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhumpty View Post
But... did you look?

Looking good Mr. Hailey! I was wanting to come over this week... Customer calls this morning while Alex, Ashley and I was on the way to the field to bring in the new year flying and needs help the rest of the week... Go figure.

Enjoyed our time at the field with our flying friends. Great food too!
Yes, you got me to go look.

We didn't get to fly here today. Rain, Rain, and more rain. Good building day, or sanding day. I went over the rudder and stabs with 180, 320, 400, and 600 grit.

Back to work for me tomorrow, my real job that is.

I will take the wings with me so I can cut out the ailerons on the big band saw.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by capthis
Gasoline only for me!
Evansville IN
Joined Jan 2006
164 Posts
I realized he was kidding, but I have really seen an airplane built that way. and I also learned you can't put an F in front of Ugly or the sight does this ***** to your word!
capthis is offline Find More Posts by capthis
Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
IMAC Junkie
Lexington,NC
Joined Sep 2009
797 Posts
The best part about going back to work today was using the band saw to cut my ailerons.
Like the stabs I cut 1 inch square birch plywood for hard points with 1/2 square high density balsa under the plywood. The small saw in my exacto kit does a nice job on cutting foam clean. I used the clear packing tape again to control the glue. It works great, check out the stab hard point. Not too much sanding to get it very flat and nice.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by justinsebastian
Uber Rookie
Mount Holly, NC
Joined May 2010
563 Posts
Hey Jerry, looks like you are going to use studs and "rocket city" style hardware for control horns. Did you consider using some of the L-shaped composite control horns?

When I was setting up my Carden, I noticed a problem when the servo pushed the control rod, it caused the rocket city clevis to rotate on the stud instead of pushing the control surface. So, in the air, your control surfaces that don't have counter-forces (i.e., the rudder) could be at less deflection that you think if it's rotating instead of pushing. I just put some loc-tite on them and cross my fingers that they aren't rotating too much.

I've been thinking about going to the composite horns, but it might be a lot of work on a plane that's already finished.
justinsebastian is offline Find More Posts by justinsebastian
Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin Y
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,765 Posts
we have been using the rocket city style control horns forever and the only time I have really seen the horn rotate like that is when you are over throwing the servo.

As for the g-10 type of servo arm, they are also very nice. I actually have some sitting here for one of my pattern airplanes and I may actually design some for our 3.1m that we are building.
Kevin Y is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Y
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Uber Rookie
Mount Holly, NC
Joined May 2010
563 Posts
Cool. I noticed it on my push-pull rudder when I was setting it up. I kept hearing a popping noise as I setup the servo on one side (independently), and couldn't figure out why the throw in one direction was always different. It turns out the popping was the control horn rotating on the stud. It wasn't over throwing the servo, but I did notice that horn seemed to rotate a little easier on the stud than others. Luckily, it's the rudder, so there's one side always pulling, but I assumed the ailerons/elevators were more susceptible.

On the ground, I assume it's harder to make it rotate since there's very little force on the control surface pushing back on the linkage. In the air, I picture there being quite a bit of force on the surface that would make it seem more like an over thrown condition. I figure people have been using this type of hardware forever, so it can't be toooo big of a deal.

In any case, I'm hoping to talk Jerry into doing it just so that I can see a picture tutorial of the conversion!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by MattyMatt
CARF-Models Rep USA
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Apr 2006
3,710 Posts
Justin, that hardware is designed to rotate on the threads. It has to, otherwise the horn will bind.

If the horn wears out then it will deflect inside the plastic (where the pin goes through the clevis), and that isn't good....
MattyMatt is offline Find More Posts by MattyMatt
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Uber Rookie
Mount Holly, NC
Joined May 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMatt View Post
Justin, that hardware is designed to rotate on the threads. It has to, otherwise the horn will bind.

If the horn wears out then it will deflect inside the plastic (where the pin goes through the clevis), and that isn't good....
Right, and I think that's where the potential issue comes in. It has to be able to rotate, and as such, potentially rotates instead of pushes the control surface. Based on the fact that so many people use them, I assume it's not happening to enough to make a difference... just something for me to over-analyze
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by capthis
Gasoline only for me!
Evansville IN
Joined Jan 2006
164 Posts
Is it done yet?
capthis is offline Find More Posts by capthis

Quick Reply