logo
Old 01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by jmiracle
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts
scratch-build 100cc Sukhoi

OK, so the time has come to start posting some pics of a project I've had in the works for awhile now.

This all started last summer when I got this big idea to design and build my own Sukhoi...mostly cause there just wasn't any other kits or even ARF's really that tickled my fancy.

So after some months of staring at the computer screen...I came up with something I think might work. I'm no airplane designer...so I only had what I learned from building other kits. I decided I really didn't want to re-invent the wheel as far as the design goes. Whether this thing will actually fly right is anyone's guess.

As this project has progressed, I've learned some things that need changed...some better ways of doing things...and I'm sure that will continue as the build goes on. If this flies decent and I decide to build another one, there will be lots of changes made....so consider this more of a "proof-of-concept" build.

It's really very traditional construction....ply/balsa fuse with foam wings/stabs/turtle deck/bottom deck. I plan on building a wood cowl for this one and buying a canopy from some other GS sukhoi kit that will just get trimmed to fit. I'm trying to keep this first build fairly simple.

I decided to have the wings/stabs CNC'd by someone who actually knows what they're doing...those parts should be here today. I'll cut the top/bottom deck parts from foam myself.

I started by printing templates of all the formers and parts that need cut and just jumped in. I basically hand-cut a short-kit of the fuse.

I then assembled the motor box and wing support plates....very similar to how other GS aerobats start out. Next I framed up balsa sides and glued those into position, aligning the wing and stab tubes as I went. I've added sheeting up to the TE of the wing. After I sheet the wings and fit them to the fuse, I'll sheet around the wing, creating a socket that they will slide into.

So this is where I'm at right now. The CNC'd foam parts should be here today....will post some pics of those when I can. I don't really know how this project will turn out....hopefully pretty decent...so it should be an interesting build!
jmiracle is offline Find More Posts by jmiracle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by HuckinChikn
just wanna FLY!
St. Louis
Joined Jul 2006
2,574 Posts
Re: scratch-build 100cc Sukhoi

this looks awesome! keep us up to date!
HuckinChikn is offline Find More Posts by HuckinChikn
Old 01-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by PaulSwany
ProBro #5
Bartlett, TN
Joined Mar 2006
104 Posts

Looks Sweet!
PaulSwany is offline Find More Posts by PaulSwany
Old 01-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by BiggD
Joined Feb 2006
95 Posts

How great to see a real " BUILD", It makes me laugh to see these so called "ARF Builds", It's not a build, it's an assembly of components some poor guy or gal built on the other side of the planet.

Good for you, I'm sure everyone will learn something
BiggD is offline Find More Posts by BiggD
Old 01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by Chris Puckett
Rantoul IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,179 Posts

I recently designed a 38% SU 26. Hope to start soon. 118" Span and looking for 36lbs with a ZDZ 160. Watching this one closely. Good luck.
Chris Puckett is offline Find More Posts by Chris Puckett
Old 01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts

thanks for the comments guys. It's been a big learning experience for me already...and there's a lot more to go yet!!

The wings and stabs showed up over lunch today....spent a good part of my lunch hour drooling over them. The foam cutting from Flyingfoam.com is just awesome. Exactly how I asked for them to be cut...perfect. If I ever build another one of these, I'll order my foam from Bob again without hesitation!!

I'm working on a 35% Carden 260 right now as well...hoping to get that buttoned up in the next week or two. Until then, progress on the Suk will be slow...but I'll try to post updates as often as I can!!

I'll definitely get pics of the foam up tonight...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
I recently designed a 38% SU 26. Hope to start soon. 118" Span and looking for 36lbs with a ZDZ 160. Watching this one closely. Good luck.
Good for you, but you will flip that ZDZ forever before it starts.
Jeff Williams
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 01-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by Chris Puckett
Rantoul IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
Good for you, but you will flip that ZDZ forever before it starts.
Jeff Williams
I have half a dozen ZDZ's and love them all. I had a problem one day where I flipped for hours only to find out the battery had disconnected from the switch.
Chris Puckett is offline Find More Posts by Chris Puckett
Last edited by Chris Puckett; 01-17-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
I have half a dozen ZDZ's and love them all. I had a problem one day where I flipped for hours only to find out the battery had disconnected from the switch.
I did that once with my ZDZ... I was about to crush the motor in a vice... then realized I should just slap the owner!!! ME!!!!!!!!

The build looks great!!! Keep us posted!!!
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 01-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by JeremyHolt
Kickin it OLD SCHOOL
Shreveport LA
Joined Jan 2006
903 Posts

Nice work. I like to see a plan come together. Looks well thought out.
JeremyHolt is offline Find More Posts by JeremyHolt
Old 01-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts

as i mentioned earlier, the foam cores I ordered for this are just awesome. This is without a doubt some of the best foam cutting I've ever seen. Even on the long wing panels, i have a hard time making out the cut marks left by the bow.

Bob Mullen from Flyingfoam.com did an awesome job taking my poor excuse for drawings and translating them into tangible parts that fit like a glove.

What I was really thrilled with was when I slid the wings and stabs up against the fuse and found the fit was almost perfectly flush without any trimming yet. HUGE relief for me!!

Up next, I plan on cutting the top/bottom deck pieces....hopefully by this weekend. Those won't be anywhere near as nice as what Bob cut for me....but I'm sure I can make them work.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

WHAT A PILE...

MAN... why waste the wood...

JUSt KIDDIN.. I had to opportunity to see this thing in person when Jason helped with my wings.. its first class all the way.
Can't wait to see it done!
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 01-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by Spaz
Buffalo-NY-USA
Joined Jan 2006
364 Posts

Looks great keep em comin!
Spaz is offline Find More Posts by Spaz
Old 01-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
WHAT A PILE...

MAN... why waste the wood...

sometimes I wonder that myself.....i get over it by reminding myself it's not MY money being invested in this thing!

I should probably mention that while this is my "design" and my build....a local guy here is actually financing it. I had too many projects of my own going on this winter to try and pay for a 3rd 35%er....when Neogenesis found out I was gonna set it aside for awhile, he decided to buy it and pay to finish it.

So the good part for me is I get to build something I designed, find all the areas that need improvement..and I get to test fly it, trim it out....and if it flies like POO, I'm not out anything!! If it flies decent...maybe I'll build a new and improved version for myself.

So what's goin on with your Dalton, sleepy??? Did the wife finally cut you off and banish you from the shop???
Old 01-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

No... had a busy week...
My damn job keeps getting in the way of my hobby... darndest thing!

I'm going to finish the flight surfaces this weekend... and go from there.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC

Quick Reply