Find More Posts by NashVegas
"CrashVegas" more appropriate!
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2014
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster View Post
Looks great!
Could you give me run down on your setup please? ESC and if youíre using separate RX packs.

I currently own a 28% Krill Yak 55M which has a DA70 in it but Iím looking at converting it to an electric setup. As long as I can get mixed flying in for 6.30min (which is the same as my 72Ē 3D HS Extra 330) Iíll be happy
Here's the Yak set up:
Motor - Dualsky GA6000.8
ESC - Castle 160 HV
Motor battery - tow 5000mAh 6s LiPo's in series
RX battery - one 2s 2550mAh LiPo direct to RX
Prop: Falcon CF 24x10 TH (thin hub)

For 6 min flights I would recommend 5500 mAh LiPo's.

Hope this helps!
Richard
NashVegas is offline Find More Posts by NashVegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
513 Posts
Looks as though V2 of the GA6000 is now available. Wonder what the differences or improvements are?
http://www.dualsky.com/motor/GAV2.shtml
suds is online now Find More Posts by suds
Old 11-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Joined Jun 2014
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suds View Post
Looks as though V2 of the GA6000 is now available. Wonder what the differences or improvements are?
http://www.dualsky.com/motor/GAV2.shtml
Well at least we know where to purchase them now. Also cheaper than the one I got from J B Hobbies.

The motor looks thinner than mine. Looks like they also offer the same motor with a four prop bolt configuration.

Great motor either way.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:30 AM
Find More Posts by Royster
Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashVegas View Post
Here's the Yak set up:
Motor - Dualsky GA6000.8
ESC - Castle 160 HV
Motor battery - tow 5000mAh 6s LiPo's in series
RX battery - one 2s 2550mAh LiPo direct to RX
Prop: Falcon CF 24x10 TH (thin hub)

For 6 min flights I would recommend 5500 mAh LiPo's.

Hope this helps!
Richard
Many thanks Richard!
Royster is offline Find More Posts by Royster
Old 05-25-2018, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by shorte
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
I have the new GP giant XL stick and I bought the GA6000.8 180kv Motor V2 motor.
I will be using a 22 or 23 inch prop on my giant stick.
What would be the best pitch and battery set up for sport flying. I am limited to 22inch prop because it is a nose gear plane.
I bought the 4 screw hub same bolt pattern as dle 55.
Thanks
shorte is offline Find More Posts by shorte
Old 05-26-2018, 03:40 AM
Find More Posts by sjhanc
United States, FL, Williston
Joined Aug 2014
72 Posts
I would keep the pitch below 10 Inches, even a 10 inch pitch will pull that airframe up to its flutter speed. 8 inches would be safer, on 12 cell packs. Don't believe the saying, 'I can always throttle back', once you hear flutter, the parts are already falling off the plane.
sjhanc is offline Find More Posts by sjhanc
Old 05-26-2018, 06:49 AM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhanc View Post
I would keep the pitch below 10 Inches, even a 10 inch pitch will pull that airframe up to its flutter speed. 8 inches would be safer, on 12 cell packs. Don't believe the saying, 'I can always throttle back', once you hear flutter, the parts are already falling off the plane.
I will try my Xoar 22x 8 that I have . They say do not use electric props on this motor so do I loose efficiency using gas props?

http://shop.dualsky.com/ga6000-motor_p0145.html

I do not think a electric prop would fit on the 4 screw hub anyway. Most use single hole. The reason I went with the 4 bolt hub because I read people having problems with single nut shaft slipping on the big motors.

All my smaller electric have electric props.
Last edited by shorte; 05-26-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Joined Aug 2014
72 Posts
I have successfully used electric props by gluing a sandpaper disk to the spinner backplate. The best electric prop I have is an APC 26-15 that I used on my Rimfire 65 motor. I program my ESC for soft throttle response to lessen the acceleration stress on the prop hubs. I soften the braking response also. This might not work on 3d models, but I only fly heavy warbirds weighing around 30 lbs. I have yet to break a prop with the throttle. I have broken wood gas Topflite props with my ZDZ 80rv gas engine when the engine kicked on starting.

I have an Eflite P360 with a 4 bolt hub, Ramoser supplies an adapter for single bolt use with this motor, but the shaft size is larger, at least 14mm.

On efficiency, the best performance prop for my TF electric mustang has been the 22-12 size in APC and Graupner Pro gas. The electric APC 22-12 has an edge over the same gas size APC, but the Graupner pro still beats both of them. After over 100 flights the best flight pack turns out to be a 24 cell pack of (2) 12s packs in parallel.

I started using a Ramoser Varioprop 4 blade for scale flight appearance, this prop outperforms everything else in speed, climb rate, and best of all, has the lowest current draw, much lower than the 2 blade props. Its only drawback is its 4900 rpm upper limit, I have to use it set at 18 inch pitch to keep the motor rpm down. Ramoser makes a larger version in the 22 inch diameter blade set that can handle high power electric motors.
Last edited by sjhanc; 05-26-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:00 AM
Find More Posts by eihoward
Panama, Panama City
Joined May 2015
13 Posts
Any specific ESC recommendations for this motor, I find it very attractive in price for my Giant Stick XL? Thinking of the ZTW 150 Opto HV unit to pair it with this motor.
eihoward is offline Find More Posts by eihoward
Old 05-27-2018, 04:54 AM
Joined Aug 2014
72 Posts
I use the Castle HVF 160, it has a built in fan. You must provide an incoming air flow directly to the esc, it is important that the esc cooling air not come from the motor. Motor air exhaust can cook the esc, especially during 3d flight when airflow into the cowling is minimal. A simple baffle separating the esc's air from the motor's air is sufficient. I have not yet got around to testing the Dualsky motor in flight, when I do it will be turning a 4 blade prop. My previous flight testing used the Eflite P360 which turned the 4 blade prop at too high rpms (prop rated at 4,900 rpm for 1 minute).

I will be using (2) 8 cell flight packs in parallel to power the Dualsky. Airframe weight is 27 lbs. The wide-blade Varioprop is extremely efficient and can easily be over-revved. A single thrown blade will destroy the model. The best pitch setting is 18 inches, lower reduces airspeed too much, higher makes for sluggish takoffs and poor climb until the gear and flaps are up, then it gets on the step and moves out.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Panama, Panama City
Joined May 2015
13 Posts
I decided to buy the lower 160kv version, and a Master Airscrew 24x12 prop.

Does any one have an idea of the size of spinner I would need? I am trying to get into on the tapped size.
Last edited by eihoward; 05-29-2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-29-2018, 05:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eihoward View Post
I decided to buy the lower 160kv version, and a Master Airscrew 24x12 prop.

Does any one have an idea of the size of spinner I would need? I am trying to get into on the tapped size.
I bought the 180kv using a 23x10 prop on my stick. I bought the 4 bolt hub version and bought the single prop adapter hub so I will have ether option.
http://shop.dualsky.com/pm90ga-3_p0252.html
Old 05-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Panama, Panama City
Joined May 2015
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorte View Post
I bought the 180kv using a 23x10 prop on my stick. I bought the 4 bolt hub version and bought the single prop adapter hub so I will have ether option.
http://shop.dualsky.com/pm90ga-3_p0252.html

I put the numbers in eCalc and got a better probable flight time with the lower KV motor. Went with a Tru Turn black anodized 4 inch spinner.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eihoward View Post
I put the numbers in eCalc and got a better probable flight time with the lower KV motor. Went with a Tru Turn black anodized 4 inch spinner.
For bigger prop 160kv sound better.
On the eCalc I noticed that every recommended prop the motor case is over heating on 12s
Old 05-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Joined Jun 2014
756 Posts
Hey guys - just popped back in - I'm running the GA6000.8 180kv spinning a Falcon 24x10 carbon fiber electric with the Castle HV 160. Great power, no heating problems, and batteries aren't getting stressed almost two years later. I think I posted a video in this thread. Love this motor!
Richard

Quick Reply