logo
Old 12-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by scottyb313
AJ Aircraft
United States, MI, Petersburg
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
105 Rudder

Guys there has been a lot of talk about the 105 rudder size it has been compared to the 93 in size etc.. for starters it sort of goes back to the big beautiful 93 laser,large long 50cc size plane designed for a 70. Seems to be the trend for 50CC planes these days.

But when the 105 came out,the main premise's behind this plane was to develop a plane that fit the scale rulings for IMAC yet meet all the 3d expectation's. this not an easy task. lot of testing went into this plane.
But a common miss conception is that you just take the 93 blow up to 105 Bam!! send to the manufacture. This could not be further from the truth. the plane increased in size overall but still had to meet scale rules as I mentioned earlier so after all of that and the tireless testing by Andrew ,the Rudder did increase slightly in SQ inch. but understand that the fuselage has more length even with the scale up it still a touch longer, this length acting essentially like a lever increasing rudder authority without dramatically increasing the rudder size. believe the plane has plenty of rudder authority to meet the expectation's of great 3d flight.
I hope this helps a little in understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms5599 View Post
I saw a friends 105 Laser last night. Really liked everything, except the rudder seams really small and squared? Any thoughts? Kinda looks like a pattern plane.
scottyb313 is offline Find More Posts by scottyb313
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,193 Posts
Yes, unless you're a aeronautical engineer, I think is wise to put your trust in AJ to know what he's doing and the proof in that, is how well the plane flies regardless of the size of this and that.
As far as I'm concerned three's only one thing where size maters and it's not on an airplane.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 12-03-2015, 12:47 PM
AJ Aircraft
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
I could not agree more. Everyone who has flown the airplane says its the best one. And im with you on trusting Andrew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
Yes, unless you're a aeronautical engineer, I think is wise to put your trust in AJ to know what he's doing and the proof in that, is how well the plane flies regardless of the size of this and that.
As far as I'm concerned three's only one thing where size maters and it's not on an airplane.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:46 AM
AJ Aircraft
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
straight from the Jesky camp

Here is a thoughts from the jeskys on the rudder setup on the 105

We do recommend running two servos on the 105'' rudder ina pull pull configuration. The reason we recommend this setup is to helpachieve the proper C.G for the this plane since we stretched the fuse comparedto the 93'' Laser. If anybody wanted to run a single servo in the tail in apush pull configuration and was able to easily balance the airplane I thinkthat would be fine. The total area of the rudder on the 105'' Laser isapproximately 50 Sq inches smaller than the total Sq inches of one 93'' Laser aileron,which we recommend a minimum of 450 oz.-in. of torque. Some pilots like therigid response of a push pull setup myself include, however I personally feelthat two 450 oz.-in. servos coupled together in a pull pull configuration withproperly tensioned cables will respond better than one 450 oz.-in. servo in apush pull. That is all subject to personal preference though. We also like theadded redundancy of the two rudder servo setup (mainly the doubling in strengthof the servos combined gear train) vs a single point of failure, as well askeeping the servos centrally located which reduces pitch and yaw inertia intumbling maneuvers.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 AM
AJ Aircraft
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
Laser 105 build video #2

Guys here is video number 2 this is just landing gear tail wheel and some fuselage preparation this will also be posted at AJ aircraft, And on my growing you tube channel
Turns out that this series will be about 4 videos long. Video #3 will be rudder pull pull set up and engine mounting.

My youtube channel will be reviews, build videos, product testing, and tech talk type stuff it just starting and appreciate any subscribers or support. Thank You guys. You can subscribe from the video or type you channel name in you tube

Scott Bauerschmidt -RC Planet https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUj...JVy1o6pLrxZJxA

AJ Aircraft 105 Build Video Part #2 (39 min 7 sec)
Last edited by scottyb313; 12-04-2015 at 10:19 AM. Reason: ad link
Old 12-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by flylow17
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Oct 2012
182 Posts
Baffels

I have finished all but the baffles. Have some more pics. There was a guy on this tread who was working on baffles. I sent him two private messages but no response. So its up to me. I have been building baffles out of foam easy to shape and work with. Then brush 20 minute finish epoxy. Is there a easy way? I want to madden it this week end but I have been trying new ways for baffles and it is not going good.
flylow17 is offline Find More Posts by flylow17
Old 12-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
182 Posts
Madden

This plane is assume. First up only two clicks and trimmed then up on knife edge good speed and no I mean zero coupling. Ok lets try slow knife edge and a lot more angle assume still no coupling this plane is bad ass. And with help from AJ on balancing it flew inverted like on rails. New EME 120 flew it easy plenty of power. Beings it is bran new engine I have learned to not pull it up in a hoover first flight. So I did not do any pics. I flew it 4 flights and had to give it up because of the wind. But as far as the rudder talk you can put it to rest with the longer fuse the rudder has more authority. It will knife edge up in to a hoover easy. Summery BAD TO THE BONE
Old 12-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Lancaster , PA
Joined Dec 2007
3,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow17 View Post
This plane is assume. First up only two clicks and trimmed then up on knife edge good speed and no I mean zero coupling. Ok lets try slow knife edge and a lot more angle assume still no coupling this plane is bad ass. And with help from AJ on balancing it flew inverted like on rails. New EME 120 flew it easy plenty of power. Beings it is bran new engine I have learned to not pull it up in a hoover first flight. So I did not do any pics. I flew it 4 flights and had to give it up because of the wind. But as far as the rudder talk you can put it to rest with the longer fuse the rudder has more authority. It will knife edge up in to a hoover easy. Summery BAD TO THE BONE
What's "madden"..... or do you mean maiden??
flyin4fun is offline Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Old 12-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Joined Oct 2012
182 Posts
Ok Maiden
Old 12-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
591 Posts
The rudder on this plane is awesome definitely a lot of power
Surfer Dude is offline Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Old 12-21-2015, 12:48 AM
Find More Posts by vegasking1961
Team 3DRC Hobbies
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2011
1,206 Posts
Just about have mine done, just need to plumb the tank and install baffles and some small odds and ends.

105" AJ Laser With MKS HBL380 Servos (0 min 21 sec)
vegasking1961 is offline Find More Posts by vegasking1961
Old 12-21-2015, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by slowgto
United States, FL, Wellington
Joined Oct 2014
309 Posts
@vegasking1961, is that shrink wrap on the end of the snake loom or something else?
slowgto is offline Find More Posts by slowgto
Old 12-21-2015, 09:18 AM
AJ Aircraft
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
Guys thought I would post some pictures of installing cans on your 105 if your using cans that are 14" or smaller you have to do some extras work. You will need to make an exit plate and move the pipe tunnel wall forward hers some pics
Old 12-21-2015, 09:34 AM
AJ Aircraft
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
Not sure why the pictures didn't post try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by seals313 View Post
Guys thought I would post some pictures of installing cans on your 105 if your using cans that are 14" or smaller you have to do some extras work. You will need to make an exit plate and move the pipe tunnel wall forward hers some pics
Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by jms5599
United States, MO, High Ridge
Joined Feb 2009
949 Posts
That looks Great!
jms5599 is offline Find More Posts by jms5599

Quick Reply