logo
Old 06-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by Vinnie6
Joined Mar 2009
18 Posts
On my radio (JR X9303) there is a servo speed function where you can slow down the servo travel speed.

I do have a little lag as I snap it to WOT from idle. Can't tune it out. If I advance it a little slower it is just fine. It is an almost-new engine.
Vinnie6 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnie6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by Vinnie6
Joined Mar 2009
18 Posts
The Xipp engine tuning method is described at the beginning of this thread.
Vinnie6 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnie6
Old 06-05-2015, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
South Weber, Utah
Joined Dec 2009
2,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie6 View Post
On my radio (JR X9303) there is a servo speed function where you can slow down the servo travel speed.

I do have a little lag as I snap it to WOT from idle. Can't tune it out. If I advance it a little slower it is just fine. It is an almost-new engine.
A gasser will never accelerate like a brushless outrunner. Once its broken in, it might do a little better though. Four cylinder gassers accelerate better, because they get double the number of power pulses/revolution of the crank shaft.
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Old 06-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by Bcolici
Maximum Deflection
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2015
184 Posts
First off,Great info here. Thanks to the contributors,
Yesterday i finally got to start my engine. I used a starter for the first time just to make it easier. I've got it running ok on the rich side but i goofed with the lo and hi needeles i got hem mixed.
When i get a chance I'm Going to tune as per in this thread.
One thing i noticed is that when my idle is at 1750- 1850 it not reliable when i blip the throttle, it stalls out. Also when i run it at higher rpms it takes abot 8 seconds forr it to come back down to idle. It lingers at 2200 to 2300 rpm.
This is my first gasser and have read all the what should be done for setup. Plug changed to a ngk off the bat and gapped to What others recommended. Fuel tank has no leaks.
My concern is the unreliably low idle and the step down. Engine is new.
Any help or advice is appreciated.
T.I.A.
Bcolici is offline Find More Posts by Bcolici
Last edited by Bcolici; 06-08-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,659 Posts
A 2 stroke on idle can be tuned to literally hum like a V-8. When you advance the throttle at this state of tune, it's going to fall flat on it's face every time. It's way too lean. A single cylinder 2 stroke should have a rather unsteady, rambling idle, not hitting on every power stroke. In other words, rich.

If you look closely at the carb, very close to the needles, many are marked with an L over the low speed needle, and an H over the high - as a reminder to help in case you get confused again.

That "lingering" up on high idle is another characteristic of a lean low speed. It should take care of itself when you get the idle set correctly.

Welcome to gas!
AHicks is online now Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 06-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by Bcolici
Maximum Deflection
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2015
184 Posts
Thanks Al.
I rotated my carb for easier throttle linkage set up but now its a little harder to get to the needles.
I've come across this method of tuning the motor before from the original author but was not able to find prior to tuning it yesterday,until i looked here. Glad i did.
I then realized i got the needles mixed up. I made minimal adjustements so they are not far off adjustements

Motor is new and not properly tuned and yet feels like a stump puller.
Dle 20ra. =)
I sure miss and loves me the sound of a i.c. engine
Bcolici is offline Find More Posts by Bcolici
Old 06-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by Tailslide
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2013
453 Posts
My VVRC 40cc twin starts easily and pulls my EF Extra 300 well but won't throttle down for landing. Have to use the kill switch and dead stick it in to get it slow enough to land.
If the low end is leaned it will idle slowly but transitions poorly or quits. If the low end is richened it will idle well and transition well while warming up.... but once in the air and fully warmed up or hot it will not idle down. If the trim is used to fully close the throttle buterfly it still runs at high enough RPM to fly! Have to kill it to land.
My Extra has about a dozen flights on it so far and I'm afraid its going to get worn out before this engine is tuned properly.
Thought I might have an air leak through the carb mounting gasket so put a little torque on the carb mounting screws.
Checked the throttle linkage and changed out to a high torque metal gear servo.
Tried with and without the cowl on.
Reset the needles to factory recommendations and tuned from there.
Nothing fixes it.
About to pull the carb......still suspect an air leak or loose butterfly.
Would apreciate any suggestions.
Tailslide is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide
Old 06-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by bob_nj
United States, NJ, Vineland
Joined Jan 2006
1,456 Posts
Maybe check the reeds while you're in there...
bob_nj is offline Find More Posts by bob_nj
Old 06-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,659 Posts
It sounds lean. It could be an air leak, but before going through the trouble shooting for that, you might try going even richer on the low speed. It sounds like you might be getting into the infamous 2 stroke high idle hang.

It's caused by an engine with a hot combustion chamber. Normally, when this engine is pulled back to idle, the low speed metering will be able to supply enough fuel to cool that combustion chamber down quickly, or maybe up to a second or so for a delay. If it takes longer for it to come back down where you expect it, there's a good chance it's lean.

It's not just your engine. Any 2 stroke can and will do this if conditions are right. In our hobby, an engine coming in for a landing is coasting, and as such, the prop is pretty much free wheeling. These are the perfect conditions for this type of behavior to occur.

Bottom line, you could go maybe 1/8 turn richer to see if that helps or changes anything. Easy cheap something to try before getting further into it.
AHicks is online now Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 06-14-2015, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by Tailslide
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2013
453 Posts
Tried rich on low needle until midrange was 4 stroking and still high rpm at idle. When coming down to idle from midrange the idle is initiallly slow but then speeds up after a few seconds.
I pulled the carb and found that the carb mounting flange on the crankcase is not flat. It has a mold mark that runs along half of the flange face resulting in a step in the surface that measures .020 inch. In other words half of the carb flange mounting surface is at least .020inch higher than the other half. The gasket is not thick enough to compensate and may be the source of an air leak.
The surface should have been ground flat. I may cut a new gasket from .030 material along with some gasket sealer to fill the gap.
Tailslide is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide
Old 06-15-2015, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by wingwall
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,170 Posts
Yep, if butterlfy is completely closed and the engine still runs, then likely there is an air leak somewhere.

A sheet of 320 or 400 grit wet-dry sand paper in a flat surface, like a sheet of glass, flat stone, or flat steel plate, should flatten that mounting flange with a little elbow grease.
wingwall is offline Find More Posts by wingwall
Old 06-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by JCFLYR
Team Chaos
United States, MI, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
811 Posts
Hey guys, I have a DLE-170 on a Pilot RC Yak that I purchased last summer RTF. There are 4 each 1/4-20 hex head grade 5 bolts holding the motor onto the motor box. I found the bottom 2 bolts literally sheared in half the other day. I want to replace the bolts with grade 8 bolts but was told not to use grade 8 because they are too rigid. Do I use grade 5 or 8 to replace?
JCFLYR is online now Find More Posts by JCFLYR
Old 06-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
You will be better off having a bolt shear than having it take a mounting lug off the engine.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 06-21-2015, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by JCFLYR
Team Chaos
United States, MI, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
You will be better off having a bolt shear than having it take a mounting lug off the engine.
Grade 5 it is, thanks.
JCFLYR is online now Find More Posts by JCFLYR
Old 07-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by bluefear
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2013
261 Posts
on DLE engines how to adjust ignition timing. Manual Says anticlockwise to advance . with engine mounted inverted is this anticlockwise viewed from the front or the back ?
bluefear is offline Find More Posts by bluefear

Quick Reply