logo
Old 12-31-2022, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by john.j.allen
Joined May 2014
24 Posts
Discussion
Printed covering

So it appears that none of the big ARTF manifacturers will not be doing printed scheme coverings, stating that they do not withstand the ravages of time.

I have a Skywing ARS300 91", EF Slick 580 79" and my old PRC Edge gone to a friend, they are all printed schemes and still perfect after 2+ years.

Was the printed covering really that bad for everyone else?
john.j.allen is offline Find More Posts by john.j.allen
Last edited by john.j.allen; 01-05-2023 at 03:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-31-2022, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
I just bought my first plane with a printed scheme. I’m curious to see how it holds up myself.
Motomazzo is online now Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Old 12-31-2022, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
The one that I have, the covering just doesn't shrink that well.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 12-31-2022, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
The one pictured above doesn’t have a wrinkle in it anywhere. It’s probably the nicest / tightest covering job I’ve ever seen. Don’t know if it will stay that way, but it’s definitely not new and is still tight.
Motomazzo is online now Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Old 12-31-2022, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by john.j.allen
Joined May 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomazzo View Post
The one pictured above doesn’t have a wrinkle in it anywhere. It’s probably the nicest / tightest covering job I’ve ever seen. Don’t know if it will stay that way, but it’s definitely not new and is still tight.
My ARS300 is exactly the same, perfect
john.j.allen is offline Find More Posts by john.j.allen
Old 12-31-2022, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
The Contrarian checking in here. I don't care for printed schemes for (2) reasons:
  1. The primary reason is that in case of a small ding, shop-wear, or otherwise repairable damage, it's not just a simple matter of wood and Ultracote. Replacing a printed scheme isn't viable, especially after the manufacturer is no longer producing replacement panels of the printed covering.
  2. The 2nd reason is that without the limitations of conventional covering materials, the manufacturers tend to go wild, creating very busy-looking designs that I do not care for. Many were difficult for me to orient top vs bottom on the sky. I realize that many pilots love tons of graphics on their aircraft, but I am not among them.
When a manufacturer was offering a choice of conventional covering and printed covering, and the conventional covering was out of stock...I'd move on to another manufacturer. I don't think I'm alone in this. It was very often on EF and NWRC's sites that the printed versions were still in stock, long after the traditional covering schemes were sold out.

Having stated all of that, I'm not a fan of the lifting/delaminating Ultracote/Oracover and would love a more durable covering. Old-school MonoKote was better for me in this regard.
RCAddiction is online now Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 12-31-2022, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
"Old-school MonoKote was better for me in this regard"
The best winners at Toledo show were done in MonoKote - Mark B's for instance
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 12-31-2022, 05:47 PM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,152 Posts
I have EF, SW and 3DHS printed covering models. The Pros are they look great when new and can be be wild schemes you couldn't recreate with traditional covering. They don't seem to be as prone to wrinkle/bubble in the sun so generally low maintenance. Cons are a thicker, heavier material (think sticky back drawer/shelf liner), while less prone to wrinkles do not re-shrink nor re-stick like traditional covering and are impossible to match/recreate if a repair is needed.

Overall I think it was a cool fad, and I get why mfgs tried, but I'm happy to see the trend die.
AHP is offline Find More Posts by AHP
Old 12-31-2022, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
1Corinthians 3:18
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
I've seen photos of the printed scheme on the RWB EF Laser blow out on the fuselage and wings. Aside from the looks of weathering and panel lines. . . it's entirely possible to replicate a lot of those schemes using traditional covering and a glorified vinyl cutter.
One benefit to those printed schemes was running smoke, there were no layers to unravel.
I also heard that they don't shrink as well and are heavier than traditional schemes.
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 12-31-2022, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
The Contrarian checking in here. I don't care for printed schemes for (2) reasons:
  1. The primary reason is that in case of a small ding, shop-wear, or otherwise repairable damage, it's not just a simple matter of wood and Ultracote. Replacing a printed scheme isn't viable, especially after the manufacturer is no longer producing replacement panels of the printed covering.
  2. The 2nd reason is that without the limitations of conventional covering materials, the manufacturers tend to go wild, creating very busy-looking designs that I do not care for. Many were difficult for me to orient top vs bottom on the sky. I realize that many pilots love tons of graphics on their aircraft, but I am not among them.
When a manufacturer was offering a choice of conventional covering and printed covering, and the conventional covering was out of stock...I'd move on to another manufacturer. I don't think I'm alone in this. It was very often on EF and NWRC's sites that the printed versions were still in stock, long after the traditional covering schemes were sold out.

Having stated all of that, I'm not a fan of the lifting/delaminating Ultracote/Oracover and would love a more durable covering. Old-school MonoKote was better for me in this regard.
+1
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 01-01-2023, 02:27 AM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post

Agree 100%! Loved my Monokote, so sad its gone.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer

Quick Reply