logo
Old 05-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by RappyMan
Help - I like helicopters
United States, IA, Elk Horn
Joined Jan 2006
1,353 Posts
Yuri's Night Flying!

Okay - who has video of this and where is it posted?????? I'd love to see how it looked at night.... and love to set up my plane like this too!

Thanks
Terry
RappyMan is offline Find More Posts by RappyMan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Re: Yuri's Night Flying!

I posted it in Nall08 Aftermath......Media Flood. The quality is poor because I compressed it too much so I could upload it, but it'll do for now. The first 30 seconds are very blurry, but it will focus better.As I said in the other post, soory for the quality. I was trying to compress it just enough to upload but went too far and made it look like ass. I'll try to redo it later. https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...after-dark.wmv (3.46 MB, 86 views)
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Last edited by BOSSIER_ROB; 05-25-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by as722
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,592 Posts

I got to see him not once but twice and I got to tell you it is the most amazing night flying done by an airplane at night I've ever seen !

Albert
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Puerto Rico, Caguas, Caguas
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by as722 View Post
I got to see him it is the most amazing night flying done by an airplane at night I've ever seen !
As opposed to night flying during the day? Sorry couldn't resist!!!
Vic3D is offline Find More Posts by Vic3D
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 05-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Still Draggin' 'Em
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic3D View Post
As opposed to night flying during the day? Sorry couldn't resist!!!
You could look at it that way if you wanted. It was the same plane during the day, just without the light bars. It was truly bad ass! The way he has it lit up lets him do knife edge passes a foot off the ground like it was daytime, but it is deffinately more impressive in the dark! You had to be there.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by RappyMan
Help - I like helicopters
United States, IA, Elk Horn
Joined Jan 2006
1,353 Posts

Thanks Rob!
That really does show up great at night. So - are there any details on how he did this? Does each set of lights have it's own small battery pack? Did you ever get the "flashlight in the eyes" sort of hit while it was flying... or was it just all good? Is there a website that shows how to build one?

Thanks
Terry
RappyMan is offline Find More Posts by RappyMan
Old 05-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Still Draggin' 'Em
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts

I'm not sure what he powered his lights with. I'm sure someone got the scoop and will chime in with his set up. All I can tell you is that he had these screw on light frames with high intensity LEDs in a star pattern *. Three on top, and three on bottom at the points of the star. One on each wing/stab tip. Four "brackets". The light shines back onto the fuselage and with just these four light brackets, it completely illuminates the entire aircraft. When it flies by, the lights on the away side are shining back in you face, but it is not a focussed beam, but a flood of light so it doesn't blind you, or really even make you squint your eyes. It looks like a very simple, lightweight set up that just works perfect. You will see more of these set ups popping up. It's the way to go for night flying. If you want to just have fun with a plane you're not attached to, you can light them up in many ways that look cool as hell at night, but if you want to wring out a 30% or bigger at night and on the deck, this is the way to do it! You can see the aircraft perfectly the entire time no matter what pitch or attitude you're in. I want to try it myself when I can afford a "beater" 42%. I may just keep wanting for a while. lol . Someone needs to post pics of Yuri's set up if they have any. It'd be nice to know the complete details. I just gave it a quick glance before it got dark, but there was plenty folks hanging around when he put the lights on. Someone has pics.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by INFINITE-FOAMIES
1971 Suburban tow rig
NORTHPORT, NY
Joined Oct 2008
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RappyMan View Post
Thanks Rob!
That really does show up great at night. So - are there any details on how he did this? Does each set of lights have it's own small battery pack? Did you ever get the "flashlight in the eyes" sort of hit while it was flying... or was it just all good? Is there a website that shows how to build one?

Thanks
Terry
they sell light setups if you are interested but they are pricey but very safe, i can give u the contact if you want pm me
INFINITE-FOAMIES is offline Find More Posts by INFINITE-FOAMIES

Quick Reply