logo
Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by leepord geko
Swiss Miss
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts
Fromeco 2600mah battery question

This weekend was the end of my Aeroworks Extra 300 86" if you care to watch the video of it flying here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGOETNdHSZ8 , anyways getting down to it after the crash I checked the two 2600mah fromeco li-ion that I had running for my receiver through a smart fly system sport plus with a pin and flag switch, when I checked the li-ions after the crash (it had flown 4 times in that day without any problem until the lockup) they read 7.5v each, now it was only 4 degrees celcius and I know having li-ion in cold condition for a extended period of time affects them but would both of these li-ion at that voltage have caused a reboot of the receiver and or the lock out that happened? Really need help on this guys I would like to get to the bottom of why this plane crashed or locked out.

Later,
Colin
leepord geko is offline Find More Posts by leepord geko
Last edited by leepord geko; 11-09-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by 3dAndrew
Livin it up like a kid!
NY, but wishing i was still in FL
Joined Aug 2007
1,793 Posts
Re: Fromeco 2600mah battery HELP!

WOW! Sorry to hear about your loss! That sucks! Just a quick question, do you think the receiver may have gone into a "bind mode" or it may have unbound itself. I am just asking about the "bind" issue because i run the spektrum radio on my electrics and have had the bind problem occur a few times. But either way this is pretty sad. Please keep us posted on your results, i am going to say that i reccomend that you send the radio in for a checkup and such. Good luck and once again sorry about your loss. Take care!
3dAndrew is offline Find More Posts by 3dAndrew
Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by mstam
The Flying Dutchman
Miami Beach
Joined Jun 2008
304 Posts

What Fromeco batteries? Their A123's or the LiFePO4's? I guess the latter at 7.5v. What is the voltage of the batteries under load? How many milliamps can you discharge them?
mstam is offline Find More Posts by mstam
Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by yakpilot
Molalla,OR
Joined May 2006
923 Posts

Did you look to see if the lights on the RX were blinking before you turned off switchs? I really doubt that the batteries caused your crash. I hope you find the real cause before you throw another manufacturer under the bus. I mean really, you blame the RX, then the TX, and now the batteries. I'll bet it was the nut holding the sticks.
yakpilot is offline Find More Posts by yakpilot
Old 11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Swiss Miss
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

They are lipo's http://www.hiflightrcshopping.com/fr...ersal-end.html that was the voltage under load I haven't checked how much I could discharge them, when I did a range check first the sats light would blink but only its diode or light, but after I rebound didn't have a problem.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Swiss Miss
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

Ok you want to just punch me in the face because I'm asking a question Wtf? I would like to know why it locked up.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

did your motor shut off when you lost control?
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Swiss Miss
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

no it idled in as if it locked up in the lowest throttle position of the rolling harrier. Plus the engine was running like a champ.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

so did it drop to idle or stayed in the position that it was in when you lost control?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Swiss Miss
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

It stayed in that position that is locked up at.
Last edited by leepord geko; 11-08-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:34 PM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

ok. if you lost all power the servo would stay in that position, if you had a brown out it should have went into your fail safe idle position aslong as you programmed that in. if your transmitter was turned off or stopped transmitting all controls would freeze in their current position.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by yakpilot
Molalla,OR
Joined May 2006
923 Posts

First of all those are li-ion, not li-poly. There is a difference. Second those lights are there to tell you if you experienced a brown-out situation. I apppolagize for being rude but when you post threads like this the others possibly blaming manufacturers for your misfortune it kinda gives them a black eye. So please read your manuals. You are responsible for setting up your models correctly and you should know all the information you can.
yakpilot is offline Find More Posts by yakpilot
Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Swiss Miss
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

I don't think it browned out I checked the rx after the crash just plugged in the batts and everything worked fine right after the crash, lets be clear about this this is the only plane I have had problems on so I don't hate spektrum, fromeco, aeroworks, dualsky, hitec, etc... I'm just trying to solve a problem here, if you have hate issues take it somewhere else please.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Swiss Miss
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

Doesn't matter if they were li-ion or li-poly there's only a slight difference and the thread's I have posted don't say don't buy this product, I know lithium ion's or lithium polymer batteries have temperature issues below a certain temp where they start to drop voltage. I'm just asking if this is what could have caused it. I don't think so because the li-ion pack should have exploded if it went lower than 6v and the receiver is only receiving 5.0v.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Feb 2008
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepord geko View Post
This weekend was the end of my Aeroworks Extra 300 86" if you care to watch the video of it flying here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGOETNdHSZ8 , anyways getting down to it after the crash I checked the two 2600mah fromeco lipos that I had running for my receiver through a smart fly system sport plus with a pin and flag switch, when I checked the lipo's after the crash (it had flown 4 times in that day without any problem until the lockup) they read 7.5v each, now it was only 4 degrees celcius and I know having lipos in cold condition for a extended period of time affects them but would both of these lipo's have caused a reboot of the receiver and or the lock out that happened? Really need help on this guys I would like to get to the bottom of why this plane crashed or locked out.

Later,
Colin
Dude those batteries are LI-ION not Li-po totally different. Was your reading of 7.5 Volts under a 1 amp load ? If not that reading is useless. Fromeco says not to fly those batteries once they reach 7.0 Volts under a 1 amp load. If you batteries were reading 7.5 volts under a 1 amp load then the batteries likely had nothing to do with your crash. Even if you had not load checked it and it was down to 7.0 Volts under a 1 amp load you still would not have experienced a lock out. Specktrum's cut off voltage is like 3.5 volts so you would have to have a serious problem to get your batteries down that low. You may have a voltage regulator problem, as Regs heat up output voltage decreases, under high load with "low" batteries it could potentially cause a cut out.

If you have not charged your batteries back up turn your system on, hook a volt meter up right before your receiver and move all your control surfaces. Ideally have a helper put back PSI on each
surface so the servo reaches its full stall torque, this will draw max amps from your system and if it's gonna brown out it will definitely do it. Regardless do not fly with that set up until you have figured it out.

Also with newer spektrum stuff the "brown out peroid" is extremely small from volt cut out to reconnect is less that .5 second. However if you have old gear it closer to 3 seconds.

Here is my Fromeco Li-ion set up: I lost a plane kind of the way you did sorry it sucks.

Fromeco Set up 50CC extreme Flight Extra 300 (3 min 28 sec)
crash-n-burn is offline Find More Posts by crash-n-burn

Quick Reply