logo
This thread is privately moderated by TheTank, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:55 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,078 Posts
we did several of these years back and were quite successful. Many of the pilots then moved into actual competition. We kept it low key, easy access to judges, explanations of aresti, promoted it within the clubs and local areas, and lots of explanation as to set up and execution, and the one thing that everyone wants - good food and (non alcoholic) drinks. some level of sponsorship always helps....
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 05-30-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by JasonMcD
United States, PA, Bedford
Joined Mar 2016
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
If you had an interest in giving IMAC a try and you wanted to attend a "Primer" or a "Basic Only" event, what are some things that would make you feel more comfortable about attending?

If you have never flown in or been to an IMAC event and you have an interest, what is it about IMAC that interests you?
Steve,
I'm in the spot you speak of right now, I've got 4 years of Saturday mornings and decent simulator time under my belt. I'm comfortable with all the maneuvers in the Basic Known, but I also know that I'm a long way off from a great score. As far as I can see, there is 1 event a year that I could make it to, I'm debating watching this time, or taking a plane and giving it a try. I've never been to an IMAC event.

The things that would encourage me to show up at an event would be:

Clearly state that all pilots are welcome, I'm a little worried about showing up and feeling like I have no business "competing" if I happen to be the least experienced pilot there. If there was an option to fly for a judge without competing, I would do that.

Tell everyone what sizes and types of planes you welcome, I thought for a long time that IMAC was only for giants.

Let everyone know if you expect them to be an AMA member or a member of IMAC

IMAC interests me because it seems like a great community that welcomes new pilots at all skill levels. The basic level seems great because it is made up of flying that I can do, but it would be great to do it BETTER, and that's what I think IMAC is all about.

I'd be happy to see something like you are proposing close to me.
JasonMcD is offline Find More Posts by JasonMcD
Old 05-31-2017, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Jason,

All IMAC events other than worlds (I think nats is open) are open to first time pilots.

AMA is required to fly but iMac membership is not. I would suggest joining if you get hooked as ther are some nice resources for members.

All classes excluding basic require a scale plane. Lack of instrument panel or pilot carries a slight deduction in all classes excluding basic.

Basic is an anything goes class. Bring a pattern plane, a 40% Carden or eflight apprentence it does not matter.

I will have to double check on this but I believe the big rules for planes in all classes are:
Single engine
Propeller only (no jets)
Single propeller (thus no Helis as they have 2 props.)

To be honest I never read that section of the rules All that closely

Also there is a good video series on YouTube about judging and reading aresti which is well worth your time.
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Last edited by Keith Cannon; 05-31-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by Dirt Doctor
United States, MS, Vicksburg
Joined Jan 2015
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Cannon View Post
Jason,

All IMAC events other than worlds (I think nats is open) are open to first time pilots.

AMA is required to fly but iMac membership is not. I would suggest joining if you get hooked as ther are some nice resources for members.

All classes excluding basic require a scale plane. Lack of instrument panel or pilot carries a slight deduction in all classes excluding basic.

Basic is an anything goes class. Bring a pattern plane, a 40% Carden or eflight apprentence it does not matter.

I will have to double check on this but I believe the big rules for planes in all classes are:
Single engine
Propeller only (no jets)
Single propeller (thus no Helis as they have 2 props.)

To be honest I never read that section of the rules All that closely

Also there is a good video series on YouTube about judging and reading aresti which is well worth your time.
+

As a matter of fact, at our IMAC contest in Byram, MS last weekend there were two basic pilots that flew small planes: one was an Eflight cessna and the other was a 2-cycle glow engine 0.50 sized sport plane! From what I have seen a setup should be able to go vertical and be able to do a good hammerhead and also be able to stall.
Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by Dirt Doctor
Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 PM
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
I flew a carbon z yak last season as the jitters were too much competing for the first few times. Anything goes and the important thing is to have fun. I saw a pulse 40 fly last year as well and he beat me with a 60cc yak (first event when I decided to fly something smaller)
Old 06-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Joined Mar 2016
26 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm checking in with the event coordinator to make sure it's a good fit for me. I have an 88" EF Extra that I am proud of, but I would probably be a little less jittery with something in the 60" range. My Aerobeez 55" foamy flies like it's in water, gives an extra second or 2 to think.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMcD View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm checking in with the event coordinator to make sure it's a good fit for me. I have an 88" EF Extra that I am proud of, but I would probably be a little less jittery with something in the 60" range. My Aerobeez 55" foamy flies like it's in water, gives an extra second or 2 to think.
Hi Jason... I am 100% sure that you will get all the help you need to settle in.

Try to obtain as much information as you can process regarding how the sequence is flown and how to set up your aircraft properly for aerobatics (sequences). Once you have the plane trimmed out, you will be surprised at how focused you can become when putting it all together.

You will experience an adrenaline rush when you step up to the line to do your first sequence in front of judges. It can be addicting, even though you won't know why!

Congrats....Druggie...... Welcome!!
Wayne
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Old 06-01-2017, 08:19 AM
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Jason if you want Send me a PM with your number and I can give you a call and go through the basic sequence with you as well as help you understand in a short amount of time what you need to do in order to earn a 10!
Old 06-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Joined Mar 2016
26 Posts
Cool, I will do that when I get a good list of questions put together. For now, would it be appropriate to ask to see how you write your notes for your caller? If that's not something you share, forget that I asked.

Thanks!!
Old 06-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
I'll try to make one up for basic tonight so you can see how I do it. I am not sure where but I posted some for sportsman and intermediate. I won't have time to put the aresti symbols in it but I can put all of the text.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Joined Mar 2016
26 Posts
Please don't rush to get to it, I've got lots of time to work on this.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,250 Posts
New to IMAC

Hi Jason, and thanks for responding to my inquiry. You are the exact example I was looking for and your comments are welcomed.
I think you can see from the response that you will have no difficulty getting any help you need and you can add my name the list of those you can contact for assistance.
Here's something that may be of interest to you.
The photo is showing Christopher Martin with his plane. Chris flew in his first IMAC event
(CAPI) this past weekend and came in Third
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 06-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Joined Mar 2016
26 Posts
Congrats to Chris, on the medal stand first time out. I'm hoping for lots of practice time before the end of summer
Old 06-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMcD View Post
Please don't rush to get to it, I've got lots of time to work on this.
Sorry I went on a short vacation and have been super swamped now that I am back at work.

Attached is the call sheet I made for Intermediate. I think I have fixed all of the errors I initially had on them, from months ago when I first made them but please be aware I am not an Expert and there might still be an error or 2.

As for basic I would make something similar for you to have buddies call for you when you practice but for a meet I would suggest having an experienced pilot call for you and have them help you with your line lengths and when to start pulling/pushing.

EDIT: Removed File due to error. Corrected and reposted in another post.
Last edited by Keith Cannon; 06-07-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,078 Posts
I've said this before...an immelman is a specific figure not a generic term for an half loop with roll elements. Calling an immelman and then describing something else can earn zeros.....
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 06-06-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply