Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Y View Post
The thing about electric is it allows you to build the model using different techniques and the keep the airframe lighter because you do not have to worry about the vibration of a glow or gas engine. The other thing when it comes to pattern is noise. Most of the guys running the YS 185's at the worlds are severely limiting their throttle so they can be under the requirements for db.
Hmm yea not like you weren't at the last couple of nat's and world's calling for anyone or watching the competition so you wouldnt know.
Surfer Dude is offline Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by Drac
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryhavoc38 View Post
that is one expensive 27cc engine
It's 30.3cc's actually and cheaper than top of the line electrics.
Drac is offline Find More Posts by Drac
Old 04-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by pkchapman
Because, it's not heavy enough
Shady Cove Or
Joined Sep 2009
847 Posts
The pictures shows some carbon fiber laminate which I like. Are there other places where carbon
fiber laminate is used?
pkchapman is offline Find More Posts by pkchapman
Old 04-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Shady Cove Or
Joined Sep 2009
847 Posts
How is the landing gear base constructed.
Does it utilize the carbon fiber laminate?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Shady Cove Or
Joined Sep 2009
847 Posts
I noticed from the pictures that wing adjusters are not part of the construction.
Is there a reason?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Shady Cove Or
Joined Sep 2009
847 Posts
Will the stab be adjustable?

I like the looks of the plane.
Sorry for some many questions.

Scratch this question. I did not see the second bolt on the stab.
Last edited by pkchapman; 04-09-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Shady Cove Or
Joined Sep 2009
847 Posts
Is the landing gear the standard 8 inches. Can it come with gear a little taller then standard?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Shady Cove Or
Joined Sep 2009
847 Posts
In the picture I could not see. Is there an air intake in the bottom front of the nose for ESC cooling?
Last edited by pkchapman; 04-09-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Will the new aircraft be flying at SEFF?
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 04-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrat View Post
Cool motor, but complex and expensive to operate. DA 35, simple, and inexpensive to operate. Either way, you aren't waiting for batteries to charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
1. Incorrect on both points.

2. Correct.
I really don't want to argue because I think the YS is an awesome motor, but on point 1, the YS is a significantly more complex motor than a DA. Just look at the two operating manuals. As far as expensive to operate, base price on the YS is $898.16 at central hobbies, the DA 35 cost $449.00, so wear items and replacement parts are going to cost more - no? Also, last I checked, pump gas here was $1.70 a gallon, how much for alcohol?
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 04-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
You know I was thinking and up until DA there was no really reliable engine that would work that well... I mean dle and what not but the DA and YS you could trust... You could trust your $4000 pattern airplane with it... You knew it would work every single time with no doubt at all. That is the reason. If you have ever seen the YS it is a Swiss watch. But with DA now there may become competition... Remember DA was not in the 30ccmarket until last year
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 04-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by Drac
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
I really don't want to argue because I think the YS is an awesome motor, but on point 1, the YS is a significantly more complex motor than a DA. Just look at the two operating manuals. As far as expensive to operate, base price on the YS is $898.16 at central hobbies, the DA 35 cost $449.00, so wear items and replacement parts are going to cost more - no? Also, last I checked, pump gas here was $1.70 a gallon, how much for alcohol?

There's no need for arguing. This is a few guys having a discussion with different opinions. Just how it should be.

Using current exchange rates, here in AUS the DA is around $530 US. I bought my YS185cdi's for $580 US, so the difference for me is neither here nor there. Pump fuel here equates to around $3.65 US a gallon and YS fuel is around $24 US a gallon. Fuel cost is more than the 2 stroke DA's etc, but YS cdi's use about half the fuel that the glow engines do.

Now for what is the best engine to use - For competitive pattern, the YS is way ahead of any other engine out there. It delivers power much more smoothly and has extremely good down line braking. Both of which contribute to constant speed, which presents much better. They are also very reliable.

From what I've seen the OS 33GT has been the best pattern engine so far. I haven't seen any testing with the DA yet, so don't know yet how it performs in comparison.
The 33GT will swing the same prop as the YS 175, but I think it would struggle with the 185 prop. Also a tuned pipe is needed to get the power and then you have the problem of a power jump when it comes onto the pipe. Not conducive for constant speed.

At the end of the day, it depends what you want. If you after a engine that will perform at the top end of the field, then YS is it. If you are after a cheaper to run set up, then the 2 strokes will deliver that, but at the expense of the overall required performance to make it to the top.

I am currently flying FAI F3A class and these are my opinions and observations from my experience during many years of flying pattern. Others will have different ones, but that's what makes it more interesting. Like any type of sport, if you want to be competitive, you can't really do it on the cheap.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
895 Posts
I said the YS was more expensive, and more complex, you said I was incorrect. I explained myself, and for all intents and purposes, you agreed by presenting information that supported my claim. You then started a completely new discussion about which is better - which is based more on opinion and individual tastes than any particular fact, and a road I will not follow you down.

At the end of the day, I think it would be great if there was a new pattern offering from AJ Aircraft that was built around a fueled platform. That is all.
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 04-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by Drac
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
I said the YS was more expensive, and more complex, you said I was incorrect. I explained myself, and for all intents and purposes, you agreed by presenting information that supported my claim. You then started a completely new discussion about which is better - which is based more on opinion and individual tastes than any particular fact, and a road I will not follow you down.

At the end of the day, I think it would be great if there was a new pattern offering from AJ Aircraft that was built around a fueled platform. That is all.
Hmm, $50.

Just goes to show you can't have a general discussion with some people.

As for what is better, it has nothing to do with personal opinion. It is fact. Take a look at other forums and you will see that.

From everything I've read, going the 2 stroke set up is all to do with cost.
Last edited by Drac; 04-10-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply