logo
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
4,343 Posts
Servos fighting at center will accelerate battery drain. Not a good thing. But there really isn’t a need for two rudder servos on a 35%. A single 1270 is plenty.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; Yesterday at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by knpjdad
United States, OH, Findlay
Joined Sep 2017
3 Posts
Thanks for all the tips! I'm building one with about the same equipment! You are a few steps further then what I am, so I will watch, read, and learn!
knpjdad is offline Find More Posts by knpjdad
Old Today, 04:12 AM
Find More Posts by CharlJ941
Jets and Kunstflug ô
Joined Mar 2020
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knpjdad View Post
Thanks for all the tips! I'm building one with about the same equipment! You are a few steps further then what I am, so I will watch, read, and learn!
The build is pretty close to the end, I finished all the programming and fixed everything in place for the last time. Now I am just waiting for the engine. When the engine is mounted I can make the push rods for the choke and carburator and fit the two canisters. As soon as that is done I need to cut the two baffles to sit nice and close to the two heads and that will then conclude the build. I am still waiting for the three-blade prop from Biela, also coming from Germany but I have a spare 27x10 prop so I will be able to start breaking in the engine on the bench while I wait for the right prop.

Please share some pictures of your build, always nice to see how other builders think and build.
CharlJ941 is offline Find More Posts by CharlJ941
Old Today, 04:22 AM
Find More Posts by CharlJ941
Jets and Kunstflug ô
Joined Mar 2020
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Servos fighting at center will accelerate battery drain. Not a good thing. But there really isnít a need for two rudder servos on a 35%. A single 1270 is plenty.
There definitely is no need but every time I build a plane I look at it and think of all the things that could go wrong. Things we never anticipated, I have been using the push rods included in the kit without a doubt and read a post this morning about the Pilot rods having the tendency to strip the plastic ball link and just pull straight out. On a pull-pull rudder that is worrying as the constant pulling on the ball link might cause it to be the first one to go. I might just now upgrade that to a Secraft pull-pull kit which makes use of aluminium ball links. I guess I sound a bit paranoid but loosing a plane over something as simple as a piece of plastic or a servo gear stripping is just not worth it. Sure these big birds are financially hungry but beside the cost of the planes the hours we spend building them adds tons of sentimental value to them as well.
CharlJ941 is offline Find More Posts by CharlJ941
Old Today, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
United States, FL, Odessa
Joined Apr 2019
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlJ941 View Post
There definitely is no need but every time I build a plane I look at it and think of all the things that could go wrong. Things we never anticipated, I have been using the push rods included in the kit without a doubt and read a post this morning about the Pilot rods having the tendency to strip the plastic ball link and just pull straight out. On a pull-pull rudder that is worrying as the constant pulling on the ball link might cause it to be the first one to go. I might just now upgrade that to a Secraft pull-pull kit which makes use of aluminium ball links. I guess I sound a bit paranoid but loosing a plane over something as simple as a piece of plastic or a servo gear stripping is just not worth it. Sure these big birds are financially hungry but beside the cost of the planes the hours we spend building them adds tons of sentimental value to them as well.
The Seacraft kit is awesome!! I just bought several sets to retrofit a couple of airframes. My Mamba will be the first.

As for my 35% Pilot Extra, I have two servos in the tail in a push-pull configuration.
GR8R8 is online now Find More Posts by GR8R8
Last edited by GR8R8; Today at 09:09 AM.
Old Today, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,343 Posts
i try to keep things simple..less servos means less battery drain, and a rear mounted push/pull eliminates the possible stress on the servo arm from pull pull, not to mention very easy and fast to set up. as far as the ball links, I have owned and do own Pilot ARFs and am around a lot of the same, and there's no truth that the linkages are prone to stripping. the only time that would occur is if there simply isn't enough thread into the ball or the ball was previously threaded to a larger thread.

One thing I like about ARFs is that you don't get attached to them....if one goes in there's another to follow.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old Today, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by thewooster
Joined Mar 2013
264 Posts
I have had +500 "hard" flights on my Pilot Edge with the plastic ball links and not a single issue, yes they are not as refined as Dubros but they will get the job done and more......
thewooster is online now Find More Posts by thewooster

Quick Reply