logo
Old 12-03-2022, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by Hawker driver
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
Wing tube migration issues

I bought a replacement wing for my plane and the wing tube socket doesn't have a stopper at the end of the tube. I flew it once like that and the wing tube itself nearly migrated all the way though the wing leaving only a few inches left in the other wing side. That wing could have easily snapped off! I tried gluing a small piece of wing tube into the end of the wing socket with Hysol, that didn't hold and the tube migrated again! The wing tube socket and the wing tube itself are both carbon. Can I drill a hole through the socket and tube in the fuselage location to hold the wing tube in place with a through bolt? with this structurally degrade the tube? This is on a 38% Krill Lasar 2300 MkII
Hawker driver is offline Find More Posts by Hawker driver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-03-2022, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
I have drilled wing tubes before for retention but I don't know that I would do it again. A small hole probably wouldn't cause any problems though. In another case I held a tube centered by using a small screw type hose clamp on the fuselage tube. Minimal tightening of the clamp was necessary to retain the wing tube in place.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 12-03-2022, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
I had the same problem on time.I drilled a small hole under both wings at the end of wing tube,then used a small dowel rod to block the ends.You don't have to go through the top of wing socket.
closetguy is online now Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 12-03-2022, 06:37 PM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,152 Posts
I had a carbon wing tube fail catastrophically on the first flight on a used plane where the previous owner drilled a hole for retention, so I definitely wouldn't recommend that.. I would try a hose clamp around the tube socket in the fuse; however, if that is carbon and not phenolic then that may not be a great idea either. Ideally you need to cap the ends of the receiving tube in the wings.
AHP is offline Find More Posts by AHP
Old 12-03-2022, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
Yeah, I'd open up the bottom of both wings and do it right,,, A patch in the covering is better than a totaled airplane
scale only 4 me is offline Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
Old 12-03-2022, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
I believe the OP said his plane is a Krill. Aren't those all composite skinned wings? If so, opening up the wing to cap the wing tube sockets might be more than a patch of Ultracote.
RCAddiction is online now Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 12-03-2022, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
I believe the OP said his plane is a Krill. Aren't those all composite skinned wings? If so, opening up the wing to cap the wing tube sockets might be more than a patch of Ultracote.
I've never seen a Krill that wasn't all composite. Doesn't mean they do not exist but I would no bet on it and patching an all composite wing is a project not for the feint of heart....

If the OP bought that wing from either Krill direct or a dealer, I'd send it back and tell 'em I wanted a new wing.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 12-03-2022, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by T-ster
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Feb 2009
196 Posts
I agree that the easy solution is use a metal hose clamp on the tube socket in the fuse. Has been working for 20+ years in my Aeroworks Edge 540T. That wing tube is short by 12" or so as well.
T-ster is offline Find More Posts by T-ster
Old 12-04-2022, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by ircfly
Joined Nov 2008
92 Posts
tape on the wing tube to make it a tight fit
ircfly is offline Find More Posts by ircfly
Old 12-04-2022, 03:26 PM
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
My Bad,, I missed that detail
Old 12-04-2022, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by Hawker driver
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
The Krill is all composite n not easy to repair or patch. I ended up cutting part of my wing tube and glued the piece to the end of the wing socket. I used more glue this time and hope that it will hold
Hawker driver is offline Find More Posts by Hawker driver
Old 12-08-2022, 10:17 AM
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHP View Post
I had a carbon wing tube fail catastrophically on the first flight on a used plane where the previous owner drilled a hole for retention, so I definitely wouldn't recommend that.. I would try a hose clamp around the tube socket in the fuse; however, if that is carbon and not phenolic then that may not be a great idea either. Ideally you need to cap the ends of the receiving tube in the wings.
It's still a good idea,,, he could just cut a short say 2" long thin slot in the tube with a cut off wheel,, that would allow it to compress around the wing tube and wouldn't really cause any loss of strength,,
Old 12-09-2022, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
On my CARF SuprExtra 330L 3.1M, I had a similar issue like yours but my issue was with the FWD Elev CF Rod. I solved my migrating rod issue by epoxying a stop ring made out of a scrap piece of some 1/8" G10 material. I centered up the tube in the fuselage by ensuring both ends measured the same on either side and then slipped on the little ring that I made and glued it down up against the fuselage on the outside with some Hysol. The migrating CF Rod was solved for me.

So, for instructional purposes, I used my wing for some pics to give you an idea for a solution to your problem. You will need a sharpie and a straight edge.

Insert wing tube into the wing with the tube stop. Draw the line around the wing tube at the wing. Place the straight edge FWD and AFT of wing tube and make a mark. Between those 2 marks and the line is a "dead zone" as indicated by the dotted line.. This is where you would epoxy a "stop ring" either up against the fuselage or the wing.

ps,,, unless you can sand or scuff up the inside of the wing tube sleeve in the wing, nothing will stick to it because of the mold release that's left in there during the manufacturing of the wing tube sleeve.

Hope that helps
Bill Vargas is online now Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Last edited by Bill Vargas; 12-09-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
I like that idea Bill. Ill have to put that one in the memory bank in case i need it.
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 12-09-2022, 05:59 PM
Find More Posts by smurf
United States, TX, League City
Joined Jan 2022
12 Posts
I had the same issue on a different wing and put a piece of balsa stick the same size as the wing hole so the tube could only go so far in.
smurf is offline Find More Posts by smurf

Quick Reply