logo
Old 01-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,172 Posts
Jet Precision NATS 2019

GREAT NEWS coming from Matt Balazs & Archie Stafford this morning. They announced the 2019 Jet Precision NATS which will be held at the full scale Johnson County Airport in Mountain City TN on June 21-23, 2019. It will be a sanctioned AMA event and will include these classes: BASIC, EDF, SCALE, F3S and Freestyle. This year, the Freestyle can be flown as a stand alone event, if pilots prefer to fly Freestyle alone.

There is a flurry of activity taking place to get this underway. The sequences for the other classes are being finalized and will be published shortly. F3S Website
F3S FaceBook
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
582 Posts
I have tracking info for my Kingtech turbine that shows it's in the states It's all starting to come together, and I'm getting excited!

I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm getting ready to order some fuel system components. All of the details I read in regards to how import the fuel system is has me second guessing myself. The 120 turbine comes with 4mm hardline and accessories for the install. My plan is to use 1/8" Viton https://www.mcmaster.com/5119k41 inside the main tank with safety wire on the interior connections. I'm planning on using Dubro large Tygon that I have in bulk for the vent line, fill line, and possibly from the tank output to the UAT input. By the way, the Dubro Large is 1/8" also. I'll then use the hardline provided with the turbine from the UAT to all other components such as shutoff valve, pump, filter, etc.I assume this is how it's normally done?

Also, has anybody used the fuel line spring clips, like these from BVM? http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Catalog...neClips6mm.htm If they're reliable I think I would prefer these to safety wire on the exterior lines. Also, it seems like it might be a good idea for me to use a Festo fitting at the turbine input so I can quickly disconnect the fuel line if the system needs primed?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for all the help!
Scott
sthudson is online now Find More Posts by sthudson
Last edited by sthudson; 01-17-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,418 Posts
The KT motors come with festo on the motor side and shut off valve.

Sounds good, be careful with safety wire, over do it and it can cut into the line and cause air leaks.
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,172 Posts
^^^^
What Andy says above is very relevant.

Inside the fuel tank, I used an older method of cutting a piece of the Viton and slipped it over the ends of the tube. I had actually pulled it out after about 20-25 flights to check on something else and noted that everything was still secure as it was when I originally built it. See this post: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...&postcount=179

Also, my KT came with a filter which I did use after the pump going into the turbine with a shut off valve located where the instructions indicated. I was advised against using a plastic filter instead of the supplied metal filter and I went with what KTech supplied. After 47 flights...no issues, so I'll stick with it.

I had bought both the 8mm & 6mm spring clips that you showed above, but never used them as yet. I had already installed the fuel tubes on the UAT and the tank....& to put the clips on would mean to cut off the tubes and then slip on the clips....Forget that!
W
Old 01-18-2019, 03:11 AM
Find More Posts by Wade77
United States, OR, Rogue River
Joined Mar 2016
42 Posts
Wade77 is offline Find More Posts by Wade77
Old 01-19-2019, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by rcflying53
Airliner Huckin'
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2010
458 Posts
The spring clips are awesome! Use them and enjoy the ease of install, security of them, and easy removal for maintenance.
rcflying53 is offline Find More Posts by rcflying53
Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
582 Posts
Thanks guys. I have some of the spring clips on the way
sthudson is online now Find More Posts by sthudson
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,172 Posts
Refueling Option

After my first 44 flights, I finally had time to look back on something that had bothered me each time I refueled for the next flight. When I attended the Red Flag event as a judge in 2018, I saw pilots refueling their jets but I never paid attention, as that was the norm for the gas engines I flew at the time. When I bought my Leo, it came with a Festo 6mm shut off valve (for fueling... see first photo below) and I modified my Jersey Modeler fueler's end with a "probe" that had a 6mm tube attached to it. This way, all I had to do was to insert the 6mm tube into the shut-off valve, open it, turn on the pump & away we go!

The problem with this system (for me) was that after filling, and pulling out the 6mm tube, there was some fuel left on the probe side of the Festo lock off valve and it would run out if I didn't wipe it off and shake it a bit. So I always had to have a serviette in my pocket just for that event.

When I attended the F3S Championship, I took a closer look at Matt Balazs' connection system and he explained why he used the Jersey Models system. It was a "dry break" set-up which prevented spillage of fuel when disconnecting the valves. There are two internal valves which depress each other when the twist on "cam lock" is engaged and when disengaged, the valves close on each side...... hence the name: dry-break.

I decided that my next project was to take care of a minor irritation. So Matt directed me to the DreamWorks website where I searched through the various options. There were a few...but I ended up with the whole "shebang" of the closed loop system with the bezels for both in & return bezels.
Jersey Models JMFP-K-BZ
It seems that I bought the last one, but there are several options there to choose from..

So.... After installing the system on both my Jersey Modeler fueler and also the Leo, my next 3 flights (45-47) during the refueling process was much better, and I have eliminated the source of my irritation. I now have to decide where I'm going to permanently mount the bezel, but it still works as is.
Wayne
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by rcflyguy
workin on rollers!!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
2,160 Posts
I just use a festo one way for fueling, but have the same little dribble left in the connector.

I'm going to look into this... thanks!

#nomorepapertowelinpocket
rcflyguy is offline Find More Posts by rcflyguy
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyguy View Post
I just use a festo one way for fueling, but have the same little dribble left in the connector.

I'm going to look into this... thanks!

#nomorepapertowelinpocket
That # is amusing!!
Another advantage with the dry-break system that you will have, is that instead of your present one way valve, you will be able to defuel your jet completely if needed.
W
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,409 Posts
I will have to take a look at these. Once I started flying jets my wife started complaining about the way I and my clothes smell after a day of flying.
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Team NoSleep
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,160 Posts
LOL... it may have nothing to do with the fuel
Vapor Trails is online now Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
LOL... it may have nothing to do with the fuel
That may very well be. That said, when I flew gas she never said anything. Diesel or Jet A I come home and she says, "You stink of gasoline."
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old Today, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
I will have to take a look at these. Once I started flying jets my wife started complaining about the way I and my clothes smell after a day of flying.
I got rid of that underlying problem. Now no one complains about the way my clothes might smell
sweetpea is online now Find More Posts by sweetpea

Quick Reply