Old 09-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Delaney View Post
It’s not listed on their site anymore. So what’s the next best option for servo matching? I have a 60% Hempel Cub on order. I’m doing 5 receiver setups. I wanted to run a sport reg with the equalizer 3D and two rx packs per surface. 4 servos per aileron and 4 rudder servos. Now I need to figure out something different without over complicating it.
XPS X24 is also my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I just looked at Hempels web page and the specs are Servo requirement and minimum torque requirement: Ailerons: (4-8) 800oz. torque per aileron Rudder: (2) 400oz Elevator: (4) 400oz. per elevator Throttle: (1) as required Choke: (1) as required Total: (16-20 servos) Easily done with one X-24 and modern servos like the the JR S-8911 core less or brush less could easily use 4 servo per aileron
The cub was designed with old school tech in mind, servos these days are far more powerful and less may be required.

Quote:
My plan is to have individual systems per surface independent from the other surfaces. So the left wing will have its own receiver, battery and servo matching unit. Then the right wing it’s own system. One system for the rudder and one for each side of the elevator. The wings have hatches built in for this reason. This way I’m not running servo extensions that are 15 feet long.
I would reach out to Joe Mitchell (he goes by flyrcjoe13 on here) as he's built the 60% Hempel Cub and has successfully flown it. He has a lot of insight into the airplane and can tell you all of the ins and outs for it. He's ran a much simpler system in his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoBrut View Post
IT will not match, you have to match with servo programmer! When the servos linkage is made right, you do not need to match more than centre and both end points.
Correct. I personally suggest Hitec brushless servos as they are the most linear servos on the market, literally only needing center and end points to be matched to be perfect.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-10-2019, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by A.Delaney
United States, IL, Streator
Joined May 2018
33 Posts
Quote:
If you use Hitec HV programmable servos, no regulator, no equalizer is required. Just 4 servos, receiver and battery. Simple and functional solution, good choice. But charging will be a bit more challenging.
Why is charging more challenging?

Xpress: I will reach out to Joe. Thank You.
A.Delaney is offline Find More Posts by A.Delaney
Old 09-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by MomoBrut
What? Lower? OK!
Czech Republic
Joined Jan 2006
542 Posts
Why? :-) Well, when one battery is in the airframe, you have to charge one battery. Your solution leads to charging multiple batteries that is why it is more challenging and time consuming ....
MomoBrut is offline Find More Posts by MomoBrut
Old 09-10-2019, 03:44 PM
Joined May 2018
33 Posts
Quote:
Why? :-) Well, when one battery is in the airframe, you have to charge one battery. Your solution leads to charging multiple batteries that is why it is more challenging and time consuming ....
Oh okay. Ya Iím figuring on possibly having 9 batteries. I didnít know if there was something else I was missing with using the Hitec servos. Iím looking at the D980TW servos
Old 09-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Oh okay. Ya Iím figuring on possibly having 9 batteries. I didnít know if there was something else I was missing with using the Hitec servos. Iím looking at the D980TW servos
Go all the way and run the Hitec HSB-9381TH servos. For this size airplane, you will need as much efficiency as possible and currently there isn't a more efficient servo out there. Joe Mitchell is flying his cub with HSB-9381TH's.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:01 AM
Find More Posts by MomoBrut
What? Lower? OK!
Czech Republic
Joined Jan 2006
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Go all the way and run the Hitec HSB-9381TH servos. For this size airplane, you will need as much efficiency as possible and currently there isn't a more efficient servo out there. Joe Mitchell is flying his cub with HSB-9381TH's.
Agreed. And in this kind of setup (rx and single battery) will be very power efficient, because the current can also flow easily back to battery, when that happens. No PADs are needed.
MomoBrut is offline Find More Posts by MomoBrut
Last edited by MomoBrut; 09-11-2019 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 AM
Joined May 2018
33 Posts
The HSB9381TH has less torque than the D980TW. Wouldn’t I want the most torque for holding the surface?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
532 Posts
Quote:
The HSB9381TH has less torque than the D980TW. Wouldnít I want the most torque for holding the surface?
For an Extra330, sure. A Cub? I'm curious about the lower speeds being as much demand. I would think servo count has this covered.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 09-14-2019, 04:31 PM
Joined May 2018
33 Posts
I need to back up and clarify this Cub is the super cub which has flaps. I completely forgot about the flaps. I should be able to do 2 servos per aileron and 2 servos per flap.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,842 Posts
Quote:
The HSB9381TH has less torque than the D980TW. Wouldn’t I want the most torque for holding the surface?
The 9381 is a stronger servo all around, I would strongly urge you to use it instead of the larger and less efficient D980TW. We can chat in a PM if you want to really know all of the details.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Joined May 2018
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
The 9381 is a stronger servo all around, I would strongly urge you to use it instead of the larger and less efficient D980TW. We can chat in a PM if you want to really know all of the details.
Sent you a PM.

Quick Reply