logo
This thread is privately moderated by antique, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,722 Posts
While a single cylinder engine can't be balanced, some are certainly much smoother running than others! All of these engines exhibit vibration modes at different RPMs but some can be considered horrible shakers while others are quite acceptable. So yes, there is a difference between some engines.

While there isn't much new that can be done to a simple 2 stroke engine how the basics are executed continues to evolve. Every once in awhile, that new twist on an old theme makes one wonder .... why wasn't that done before!
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by antique
older than dirt,
United States, AZ, Williams
Joined Aug 2007
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCEXTREMEPOWER View Post
I 2nd that.

Ban the old goat and he will have time to enjoy his other hobbies.

Milton
The OLD pot is calling the OLDER kettle black
antique is offline Find More Posts by antique
Find More Posts by Vital-Rc
Free Agent
United States, KY, Glasgow
Joined Oct 2010
1,411 Posts
Ban HammAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop turning those damn carb needles.! <3
Vital-Rc is offline Find More Posts by Vital-Rc
Find More Posts by RCEXTREMEPOWER
United States, GA, Auburn
Joined Jan 2008
1,975 Posts
Yep

Lets see if we can start a list of how many people started selling RC gas engines in the last 5 years who have now closed shop and said, Screw you customers.

Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
Sales Training - Sales Skills | Simplifying The Complex Sale - YouTube

Its not what I was searching for... I actually was looking for the one where anyone will buy the crap sold, because "everyone" says its good crap...... You know, how it goes...... I can think of many brand X products over the years I got suckered into, because someone said everyone was raving about it, only to watch it fizzle in the end, and be nothing more than the other umpteen brand X offerings out there.

Oh I think someone mentioned they are pretty ? Shiny ?
RCEXTREMEPOWER is offline Find More Posts by RCEXTREMEPOWER
Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
3W/ZDZ Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,182 Posts
Man, its a good thing RC did start any threads about "ground rpm's" and explain exactly what they mean
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,808 Posts
"
closetguy is online now Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 08-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Hey Foamie----go easy on us left seat drivers-----remember we are the one's that supposed to be the smart experienced ones-----that's why we are the Captain!!!!!!!!!!!
Ralph----back in your corner feeding is not til 5!!!!
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 08-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCEXTREMEPOWER View Post
Yep

Lets see if we can start a list of how many people started selling RC gas engines in the last 5 years who have now closed shop and said, Screw you customers.

Milton
Milton,
I have been in the RC game for 45+ years and I have seen a lot come and go-----does that count?????
As far as motor shops that started 5 years ago---I do not know of any do you??????
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by TimBle
Joined Dec 2010
4,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
While a single cylinder engine can't be balanced, some are certainly much smoother running than others! All of these engines exhibit vibration modes at different RPMs but some can be considered horrible shakers while others are quite acceptable. So yes, there is a difference between some engines.

While there isn't much new that can be done to a simple 2 stroke engine how the basics are executed continues to evolve. Every once in awhile, that new twist on an old theme makes one wonder .... why wasn't that done before!
well thats kind of where the Mintor is pitched. A good quality engine, that looks really hot, and performs really well and sells for an awesome price that makes it incredible value. And thats all the distributor is trying to do. Gain a bit of the market and give the product a chance.
Mintor engines have been around a while so these new 33 and 38 are just evolutions of their previous generation of engines.
Sebastiano Sivestri flies em and designs his Sebart planes around them so they have to be offering something special. It takes a brave man to design planes around electric motors and a petrol engine that no ones heard of.

SOmeone said earlier, a fool and his money are soon parted and thats true. I think the Top Dawg guy and Antique got off on the wrong foot because each wanted to defend their turf and no one would back down.

For me, I'll pick another Mintor before a pick anything else. I'll opt for a DLE as well, even an MVVS, am lusting after a Kolm but I just don't have the time to own all these toys. Having run a few petrol engines now I'm very confident that the Mintor's are worthy of praise, just as MVVS and DLE are worthy of it. Whenever theres a new product on the market, someone needs to tell everyone about it. Thats basic marketing. Top Dawg has invested a bit in these engines, its their right to punt it.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman89 View Post
Milton,
I have been in the RC game for 45+ years and I have seen a lot come and go-----does that count?????
As far as motor shops that started 5 years ago---I do not know of any do you??????
Yes, quite a few, Will dig up the names and post them later but here are a couple.

MT engines in Florida
Southeast engines.
Brillelli
DL USA Closed when they started having crank problem.

There are more that I will have to look up, Lot of them were selling SPE before they changed there name.

Milton
Old 08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Milton,
I should have said started in the last 5 years and come and gone.

Yes, quite a few, Will dig up the names and post them later but here are a couple.

MT engines in Florida
Southeast engines.
Brillelli
DL USA Closed when they started having crank problem.

There are more that I will have to look up, Lot of them were selling SPE before they changed there name.

Milton
Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by Jedijody
Proud father of 3 Soldiers
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
Nothing to flame, I agree. But I like pretty things and a Mintor is pretty.
So lets keep talking engines and leave the fisty cuff stuff in the PM box

Unless someone has got something horribly wrong in the design, all the 30cc class engines are going to be there or thereabouts in terms of power. They just don't have enough capacity to for a few percent here and there to be earth shattering. 4% of very little is even more very little...

So yes its CNC machine, but done real pretty.
Is it smoother than others? probaby not, as you say its a thumper and therefore never going to be balanced. Its quieter because it has an exhaust made of more material where it counts than other engines side dump exhausts.
Its real pretty.
It runs reliably as do most engines with a Walbro carb and a decent reed block.
It turns similar props to other engines.
Buts its real pretty so people want to talk about it.

I think forgot to mention its real pretty but there I said it.
Pretty? Pffff, pretty is nothing but marketing bologna, it doesn't add performance or make things run smoother, just like women. I had a pretty girl friend once, she made more worthless cackling noise than any other, soon broke down into a cantankerous biotch and was functionally worthless unless I poured a bunch of money into her. She now has 6 kids and is a bar fly down the street from the trailer park where she lives.

Found an average looking one that was built like a brick shyte house, not the lightest in the world but strong and will blow my socks off everytime. Still going strong after more than 25 years.
Jedijody is offline Find More Posts by Jedijody
Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by FoamieAirfarce
Joined Nov 2011
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Hey Foamie----go easy on us left seat drivers-----remember we are the one's that supposed to be the smart experienced ones-----
LMAO! Well, maybe I was talking about being the flight instructor!

But I made it into the left seat of a few types. And when I did?

Right Seat: "Hello Captain I'm Dave, pleased to meet you. The weather in St Pete. is looking marginal."

Me: "Did I ask you for weather kid? I can read a TAFs as well as you. Call departure."

YEAH!
FoamieAirfarce is offline Find More Posts by FoamieAirfarce
Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedijody View Post
Pretty? Pffff, pretty is nothing but marketing bologna, it doesn't add performance or make things run smoother, just like women. I had a pretty girl friend once, she made more worthless cackling noise than any other, soon broke down into a cantankerous biotch and was functionally worthless unless I poured a bunch of money into her. She now has 6 kids and is a bar fly down the street from the trailer park where she lives.

Found an average looking one that was built like a brick shyte house, not the lightest in the world but strong and will blow my socks off everytime. Still going strong after more than 25 years.
What was that song

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, Never make a pretty women your wife.

Milton
Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedijody View Post

because it's true
lxcoupe is offline Find More Posts by lxcoupe

Quick Reply