logo
Old 01-14-2020, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by dusturbd
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2015
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rookie View Post
Too funny!!! By the time you frame up a complete Carden Pro or similar, $2000 for the labor gets you less than minimum wage. I recommend you make that career move... it will be fun to watch

The people that do it are generally very good at what they do and often do it because they really enjoy it, not because its highly profitable.
I have built a lot of planes over the years for local guys, it’s always been just extra money for the hobby but the fact is I have always done pretty good in the dollars per hour side of it.
dusturbd is offline Find More Posts by dusturbd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-14-2020, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Ok, first, Pink Airplanes look weird, I don't care what you say
Wait until you see this years wooden toys covered in pink!
Surfer Dude is offline Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 PM
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Dude View Post
Wait until you see this years wooden toys covered in pink!
Quote:
Ok, first, Pink Airplanes look weird, I don't care what you say
And if anyone is wondering Judge is a friend of mine and likes to raz me as well as others about my pink planes! I embrace it.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Dude View Post
I embrace it.
But in a manly way, right
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 01-15-2020, 02:08 PM
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Quote:
But in a manly way, right
But of course. Back to the main subject I’ve ran single receiver with everything plugged into to it the 6014 , to two 7008 dual receivers, to just one 7003 sbus setup. Now running JR 16 bpx and two rg16 bpx’s. No issue anywhere. The only reason to switch was really to get more knowledge on each setup.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
Surfer,

Hopefully I am not stepping into a running gag between you and Judge but I have I a serious question.

I am considering an 18sz (presently flying Horus X10S in my gas planes). I am trying to understand from this thread how RX and battery redundancy is done in the Futaba world. With Frsky you can just connect 2 receivers via SBUS leads to a redundancy bus. The RB has 2 SBUS receiver inputs and 2 heavy duty battery inputs as well. If you are not familiar with it, it works pretty much like the XPS 24 but with fewer features. Since FrSky receivers max out at 8 channels of output ports (it carries 16 ch in the SBUS) the redundancy bus expands to 15 PWM outputs.

From the model numbers you have listed above it sounds like you have interconnected 4 receivers. Is that correct?

If yes, why is that needed?

Also, could you possibly sketch it out simply to show where the SBUS interconnections are, and to which devices/ports you have the servos connected?

And how many output channels does that configuration support?

Thanks!
RCAddiction is online now Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 01-15-2020, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by MomoBrut
What? Lower? OK!
Czech Republic
Joined Jan 2006
928 Posts
You can not make full RX redundancy with Futaba products only, you have to use some third party product ... i.e. FrSky RB, Powerbox, XPS24 , XPS10, Advanced Radio ...
MomoBrut is offline Find More Posts by MomoBrut
Old 01-26-2020, 12:54 AM
XPS
Find More Posts by XPS
XPS
CEO/Mad Scientist
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Mar 2015
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rookie View Post
I never did get an answer to the question, if a single xps-24 smokes in your plane, are you still flyable?
Define "smokes"? The X24 was designed with redundant internal power systems for the CPU, buffers for the servo outputs (you can have a dead short of servo power or signal to power or ground without any issue), and dual power inputs. The X24 is designed to handle up to 16v (it's used in quite a few robotics and animatronics setups), so unless you connect more than 16 volts to it you are not going to get any type of "smoke".

The X24 came from a product we did for the UAV industry (the real industry, not toys). So, it was proven in large scale fixed wing drones, before it ever was sold in the black plastic case for R/C industry. It meets all ISO/MILSPEC standards, and had to comply with DO-178B/C, etc. It was designed for life critical missions so it is over-built.
XPS is offline Find More Posts by XPS
Old 01-26-2020, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPS View Post
Define "smokes"? The X24 was designed with redundant internal power systems for the CPU, buffers for the servo outputs (you can have a dead short of servo power or signal to power or ground without any issue), and dual power inputs. The X24 is designed to handle up to 16v (it's used in quite a few robotics and animatronics setups), so unless you connect more than 16 volts to it you are not going to get any type of "smoke".

The X24 came from a product we did for the UAV industry (the real industry, not toys). So, it was proven in large scale fixed wing drones, before it ever was sold in the black plastic case for R/C industry. It meets all ISO/MILSPEC standards, and had to comply with DO-178B/C, etc. It was designed for life critical missions so it is over-built.
Thanks for the good information. I was curious if it went up in smoke (fails), is there a chance that my plane is lost. I know from what you are writing that the xps-24 is a very robust unit, It's chance of failure is about zilch,so its good enough for me. I have also talked at length with Mike M, a very smart professor of electrical engineering at the UofA who knows your device inside and out and he is totally in love with it! I'm glad to own one!!!
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 01-27-2020, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
Electronic components are run by magic smoke.

Let the smoke out and they no longer function.

BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 01-29-2020, 03:26 AM
XPS
Find More Posts by XPS
XPS
CEO/Mad Scientist
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Mar 2015
379 Posts
I agree... let's not kid ourselves - anything electronic can fail. However, I designed the X24 to be as robust as possible.
XPS is offline Find More Posts by XPS
Old 06-16-2020, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by db1331
United States, SC, Sumter
Joined Jul 2007
471 Posts
i always quit counting at 10k and it still wasn't finished
db1331 is offline Find More Posts by db1331

Quick Reply