logo
Old 02-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
433 Posts
BatShare Failure hase

Hi, first let me say I am sorry for the loss of your aircraft. I will also say that since I started making these in 2003 I have never had a failure. They are very single, two high-current, low Vf diodes in parallel. One for each side. That makes the two sides redundant. I am more than willing to take a look at the unit to see what may have happened but it may be very hard to determine if there was anything internal or if it was caused by an external short. Did any wires downstream of the BatShare seem to have any discoloration? I am more than willing to replace the BatShare. The only possible other thing could be the insulation failed somewhere on the leads. All this will need an inspection so I can try and see where the short started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneyrocket View Post
Hello SmartFly.
A couple of days ago, my Topflite Giant scale P-47 crashed. Wasn't pilot error, I've put almost 200 flights on this plane, but it was the smart fly batt share system that caused the incident. I have the smart fly batt share system hooked up to two life 6.6v 2200 mAh batteries. I've had this system in my plane since I put it together and it has never caused me any troubles. A few days ago, I was at the field for the first flight of the year, and coming in on final approach, all of a sudden I lost all control. All my batteries were fully charged, but as I was walking over to the crash site I noticed the plane was smoking inside the fuselage. Looking closely, I noticed that some how the batt share system itself had blown up and caught fire. Also looking around, I noticed that all the wires connecting from the system to the batteries were melted, and the female leads from the batt share system to the male leads from the batteries were melted together and I can't even separate them apart. I'd like to know why or what caused this incident, and if smart fly would be able to compensate the damage by sending a new batt share system at the least. I'm not bashing smart fly, but I'm a bit skeptical because it is very unusual that this kind of thing would happen.
Thank you,
Trevor Jones.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,355 Posts
Assumption of the battery share is based on what - burnt wires? Anything much could have happened. If the wires became chaffed and shorted that is not the fault of the battery share.
Luchnia is online now Find More Posts by Luchnia
Old 02-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krxprt View Post
The inside of that plane looks like a bowl of spaghetti. And the antenna wires are nice too.
+1
When it is a rats nest, it is hard to pinpoint what the problem is.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 02-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Gimmie the sticks-I'll fly it.
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Dec 2012
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneyrocket View Post
Hello SmartFly.

A couple of days ago, my Topflite Giant scale P-47 crashed. Wasn't pilot error, I've put almost 200 flights on this plane, but it was the smart fly batt share system that caused the incident. I have the smart fly batt share system hooked up to two life 6.6v 2200 mAh batteries. I've had this system in my plane since I put it together and it has never caused me any troubles. A few days ago, I was at the field for the first flight of the year, and coming in on final approach, all of a sudden I lost all control. All my batteries were fully charged, but as I was walking over to the crash site I noticed the plane was smoking inside the fuselage. Looking closely, I noticed that some how the batt share system itself had blown up and caught fire. Also looking around, I noticed that all the wires connecting from the system to the batteries were melted, and the female leads from the batt share system to the male leads from the batteries were melted together and I can't even separate them apart. I'd like to know why or what caused this incident, and if smart fly would be able to compensate the damage by sending a new batt share system at the least. I'm not bashing smart fly, but I'm a bit skeptical because it is very unusual that this kind of thing would happen.
Thank you,
Trevor Jones.
Trevor, dang dude...sorry to see you loose that plane. I remember seeing you fly it at Wenatchee. Regarding your description of "noticed" damage after the incident... there is one key factor that seems to be the common denominator in my mind. Batteries and their leads. You mentioned, "from the system to the batteries were melted", "and the female leads from the batt share system to the male leads from the batteries were melted together ". Having some experience with electricity, both low and high voltage, AC and DC...I have learned that "anything" in the flow stream can fall prey to a direct short somewhere else in the system. In my humble opinion only, I have been using SF products for years. I have yet to see any of them fail. A couple of points of proof and interest to consider. I received two brand new LiIon 5200mah 7.4volt packs to install in my brand new Sukhoi last year. Inadvertently the batteries were wired reverse polarity. In other words, Positive was negative, negative was positive. I received them that way and was unaware they were reversed. I really didn't even consider putting my multi-meter on them as I have purchased these batteries for all my planes with zero incident. I plugged these two, (not one, but both) right directly into the SF board of my new Sukhoi. I "IMMEDIATELY" smelled that smell of "hot" components and I thought I seen a wisp of smoke. However seen no other signs of burnt wiring, board or even battery ends. RATS, I think I just blew my SF board. I contact Bob at SF, we talked, I sent in the board. He checked it out...said it was in perfect shape, that what I experienced the SF safeguarded itself. He sent it back, I installed it in the Sukhoi with two new replacement and correct polarity batteries. I have been flying that plane for a year now. Not one single issue. Zero problem. Second point to consider...I received some new 7.4volt 5000mah Lipos for an electric plane I was putting together. I attempted to put the DEANS connector on the leads, ooops, shorted them out and "BOOM", those wires immediately exploded and literally melted right off the battery. Lead, connector..."EVERYTHING" was toast. Don't get me wrong. These two incidents are not "ALL" conclusive to match your problem. There are a lot of things that "could" have happened. It will be next to impossible to know with absolute certainty at this point. But I am pretty sure once you send that Batt Share into Bob, He will be able to tell you whether or not it was the culprit. Bob is one hell of a stand up guy. He won't pull any punches with you and will be the first to admit "IF" the Batt Share failed. I personally would look at what everyone else was mentioning. There are lots of loose and scattered wires floating around that fuse. I would lay odds your problem originated from the batteries or wiring somewhere. Given the age of the airframe, flights and what not.... I can't see a Batt Share just all of a sudden going bad. I do hope you get it figured out. Again, real sorry to see you lose that plane.
Stangflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Last edited by Stangflyer; 02-22-2016 at 12:43 PM. Reason: wording
Old 02-22-2016, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by mooneyrocket
Fly low, punch it... Smoke on!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2008
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangflyer View Post
Trevor, dang dude...sorry to see you loose that plane. I remember seeing you fly it at Wenatchee. Regarding your description of "noticed" damage after the incident... there is one key factor that seems to be the common denominator in my mind. Batteries and their leads. You mentioned, "from the system to the batteries were melted", "and the female leads from the batt share system to the male leads from the batteries were melted together ". Having some experience with electricity, both low and high voltage, AC and DC...I have learned that "anything" in the flow stream can fall prey to a direct short somewhere else in the system. In my humble opinion only, I have been using SF products for years. I have yet to see any of them fail. A couple of points of proof and interest to consider. I received two brand new LiIon 5200mah 7.4volt packs to install in my brand new Sukhoi last year. Inadvertently the batteries were wired reverse polarity. In other words, Positive was negative, negative was positive. I received them that way and was unaware they were reversed. I really didn't even consider putting my multi-meter on them as I have purchased these batteries for all my planes with zero incident. I plugged these two, (not one, but both) right directly into the SF board of my new Sukhoi. I "IMMEDIATELY" smelled that smell of "hot" components and I thought I seen a wisp of smoke. However seen no other signs of burnt wiring, board or even battery ends. RATS, I think I just blew my SF board. I contact Bob at SF, we talked, I sent in the board. He checked it out...said it was in perfect shape, that what I experienced the SF safeguarded itself. He sent it back, I installed it in the Sukhoi with two new replacement and correct polarity batteries. I have been flying that plane for a year now. Not one single issue. Zero problem. Second point to consider...I received some new 7.4volt 5000mah Lipos for an electric plane I was putting together. I attempted to put the DEANS connector on the leads, ooops, shorted them out and "BOOM", those wires immediately exploded and literally melted right off the battery. Lead, connector..."EVERYTHING" was toast. Don't get me wrong. These two incidents are not "ALL" conclusive to match your problem. There are a lot of things that "could" have happened. It will be next to impossible to know with absolute certainty at this point. But I am pretty sure once you send that Batt Share into Bob, He will be able to tell you whether or not it was the culprit. Bob is one hell of a stand up guy. He won't pull any punches with you and will be the first to admit "IF" the Batt Share failed. I personally would look at what everyone else was mentioning. There are lots of loose and scattered wires floating around that fuse. I would lay odds your problem originated from the batteries or wiring somewhere. Given the age of the airframe, flights and what not.... I can't see a Batt Share just all of a sudden going bad. I do hope you get it figured out. Again, real sorry to see you lose that plane.
Hey thanks a lot for the input. Yeah as mentioned I'm not the best when it comes to electrical in the airplane for sure, just what I noticed was that the batt share system was on fire when I got there and everything else in the plane was fine. I'm not putting smart fly down because I purchase all my stuff from them such as batt share, ignition kill etc... I'll continue to investigate the issue and see what I can come up with but that may not ever happen.
Thanks again for your input!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Hi, first let me say I am sorry for the loss of your aircraft. I will also say that since I started making these in 2003 I have never had a failure. They are very single, two high-current, low Vf diodes in parallel. One for each side. That makes the two sides redundant. I am more than willing to take a look at the unit to see what may have happened but it may be very hard to determine if there was anything internal or if it was caused by an external short. Did any wires downstream of the BatShare seem to have any discoloration? I am more than willing to replace the BatShare. The only possible other thing could be the insulation failed somewhere on the leads. All this will need an inspection so I can try and see where the short started.
Hey, thanks I'll send it in when I have the time to. I didn't think anything could go wrong with the batt share system, but you never know. I'll send it in and see what you say, thanks again
mooneyrocket is offline Find More Posts by mooneyrocket
Old 02-22-2016, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by bob w
Memphis Tn
Joined Apr 2007
693 Posts
Was it smoking on its way to the he ground ?
bob w is offline Find More Posts by bob w
Old 02-23-2016, 01:37 AM
Find More Posts by sorb
Joined Feb 2016
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
+1
When it is a rats nest, it is hard to pinpoint what the problem is.
Be hard to pinpoint if the wiring was neat, come on man.
sorb is offline Find More Posts by sorb
Old 02-23-2016, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by sorb
Joined Feb 2016
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchnia View Post
Assumption of the battery share is based on what - burnt wires? Anything much could have happened. If the wires became chaffed and shorted that is not the fault of the battery share.
The kid was hurting cut him some slack, I have seen elevators pull out mid plight but in anger people blame the radio, it's kind of natural to block out own failures.
sorb is offline Find More Posts by sorb
Old 02-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorb View Post
The kid was hurting cut him some slack, I have seen elevators pull out mid plight but in anger people blame the radio, it's kind of natural to block out own failures.
My intent was not that of harm to the poster, just merely pointing out there are many variables and just because it was burnt wires no need to make a possible incorrect assumption.

I certainly empathize with his problem. It is sad when anyone loses a plane.
Luchnia is online now Find More Posts by Luchnia

Quick Reply