logo
This thread is privately moderated by Al Lewis, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,909 Posts
I wouldn't sand any of the internal surfaces on carb,if you think that is the problem I would just buy a new carb.Just make sure you have all the gaskets in correct order,and check the flapper valves for sealing on body of carb.Also try opening both needles two turns out,it will be super rich but will insure gas is getting in.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by Phil liebo
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Apr 2018
83 Posts
I got the brilelli 60 cc running. Yay! Finally!
I got a different carb rebuild kit that had rubber type gasket instead of the Teflon type, I raised the metering needle lever just a touch, and I sanded the aluminum under the diaphragm where it was scratched, and I put a new carb gasket on. Seems to be doing great. Great tips on this thread.
I’ll put it on the plane and move the DA 50 to the test stand tomorrow.
Phil liebo is offline Find More Posts by Phil liebo
Old 03-12-2019, 06:59 AM
Joined Apr 2018
83 Posts
What I learned

For the non experienced folks like me searching these threads for answers, a couple things I learned getting the 60cc running. You guys may want to correct me if Iím wrong.
1) go ahead and change the carb gasket where it bolts to engine as well as the internal gaskets when rebuilding carb. ( I bought some gasket material at Auto parts store and made one)
2) donít scratch carb surfaces when removing old stuck gaskets. Use goof off or something to soften gasket material and Brillo pad to scrub residue off.
3) use the rubber diaphragm gasket in the carb rebuild kit, not the acetate or Teflon type. ( carb kit came with a couple different kinds and I could only get the black rubbery one to work)
4) be patient and prepared to remove engine and or carb multiple times until you figure it out. The metering lever adjusting tool might be a wise investment ( I adjusted mine a few times before I got it right although I donít know for sure which of the multiple things I did actually solved the problem. )
Old 03-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by Toothata540
Huckin', Learnin', & Burnin'
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Dec 2013
602 Posts
Awesome Phil. Glad you got it going and great post for your findings! Have fun this season!
Toothata540 is offline Find More Posts by Toothata540
Old 03-29-2019, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2018
83 Posts
This DA50 is driving me crazy. Cleaned carb, Replaced diaphragm and all gaskets inside carb, replaced carb mounting gaskets, reed valve assembly and reed valves, it will pop with choke on then with choke off itíll run for one second. Canít figure out what to do. I thought maybe it was leaking air around where I put the new gaskets on so I sealed them up with gasket sealer and thatís not helping either. I wish I wouldnít have used any of the gasket sealer because now itís a sticky mess. Any suggestions on what to try next?
Would the timing adjustment cause this ? I havenít checked that yet.
One thing I noticed is a tiny little bit of fuel gets in the jumper hose to the pulse inlet. Does this mean Iím getting too much fuel into the carb? Maybe I should lower the metering needle a little?
Old 03-29-2019, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,677 Posts
There should be no guessing on that lever height. It's set right or it's not. "Adjusting" is something that's pretty much frowned on by most.

If that "jumper hose" has fuel in it, there's an excellent chance the diaphragm is ruptured. There should be no fuel there.

Just a wild guess here. Have you checked how your carb is assembled against a diagram showing how it's supposed to be? It's very easy to get gaskets and diaphragms assembled incorrectly. We've all done it.... -Al
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 03-30-2019, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
8,226 Posts
Phil, try using a starter on it and use an old spinner .
Open both needles up til you get it to run, then adjust from there
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 04-07-2019, 06:30 AM
Joined Apr 2018
83 Posts
Well I have taken the DA 50 off the test stand for a bit. I can’t seem to get it to run longer than one second. I don’t have an air frame to put it on right now anyway, I think I will try timing adjustment next after I do a little reading on that subject.

I will try it later but for now I am going to focus on one that I actually have a plane for... the ZDZ 80 RV-J. I ordered a Walbro WJ 71 carb for it as I read on here that the Tillotson carb which was giving me issues before was a fairly common problem. I ordered it from DA and it’ll have throttle and choke arms installed for a DA 85 ( hopefully arms work with my set up)
Thanks for your all’s advice on the DA50 and Brillelli 60. I’m learning lots of good stuff here
Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Joined Apr 2018
83 Posts
I installed the new carb on the ZDZ super 80. It’s drawing fuel well, and I’m getting a good spark, but it won’t start. there is a clanking sound coming from the engine. My question is if I tear into this engine, would it be worth trying to repair and can I get parts? And would you guys be willing to help me through the process? I’ve never Done this before but I have several engines that I would love to get running, just don’t know what I’m doing. I will probably break the engine down just to see if I can figure out what’s going on regardless but I hate to see a really good engine just go to waste. Thoughts?
Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by paof
Joined Oct 2007
12 Posts
Ohhh super nice. THANKS.
paof is offline Find More Posts by paof
Old 05-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Apr 2008
456 Posts
What's best for cleaning burnt oil n stuff from headers & pipes? Tried brake cleaner, but didnt do much.
Nikolei Zinsli is offline Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
Old 05-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by CT Flier Guy
Gee Bee Lover
United States, CT, Suffield
Joined May 2016
173 Posts
I've used this product with good success. I left it on overnight. Here's a before and after photo of a header I used it on.
CT Flier Guy is online now Find More Posts by CT Flier Guy
Old 05-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Apr 2008
456 Posts
Thanks - is it available at hardware or auto big box stores? Only seeing it on amazon.
Nikolei Zinsli is offline Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
Old 05-13-2019, 04:36 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
8,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Flier Guy View Post
I've used this product with good success. I left it on overnight. Here's a before and after photo of a header I used it on.
would that stuff work to clean the inside of a canister or tuned pipe?
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 05-13-2019, 05:55 AM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,121 Posts
Carbon removal fluids generally are caustic based - not good on aluminium items
Berrymans sell a caby chemical dip that is alloy friendly , have had good results with it over the years
There is a canister cleaning thread here on FG with other cleaners that have been used that may also be helpful with ideas
rooman is online now Find More Posts by rooman

Quick Reply