logo
Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by Tailslide
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2013
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
What is the 1/4 spark plug. I know the NGK CM 6 can be bought at auto parts places and other places.
The 1/4-32 spark plug is a miniature plug so to speak. Much smaller tthan the CM6. It has a 1/4-32 thread. Same thread as a glow plug. Cost a few bucks more than the larger plugs. About $12 for a 1/4-32 plug from RCEXL or about $18 from NGK. The larger CM6 can be had for about $7 .Considering that some top of the line RC glow plugs go for about $9 and that spark plugs have a long life, the difference in cost for the smaller 1/4-32 plug is not much of a factor.
Tailslide is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by RKEstes
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2013
221 Posts
Does anyone have any tricks for getting this engine to start for the first time? I bumped it against the compression 8-10 times till I felt fuel at the carb. Ignition on flipped alot! Just a pop now and then but no start. Each time (3 in about 2 hours) I got a pop I opened the choke and set the throttle to about 1/4 but no joy. I tried a starter but mine didn't have enough humph to turn it over. The plugs were dry.
RKEstes is offline Find More Posts by RKEstes
Old 10-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,325 Posts
I'm fairly sure that Valleyview run them prior to delivery?
Call them and they wil work through it with you.

Otherwise-
Check your ignition battery is fully charged and the correct voltage for the ignition (Do they use the higher voltage RCExcels?)
Check you have the fuel line properly plumbed (I have seen people try starting enignes with the carb connected to the vent line - they don't run too well that way)
Check your needle settings - open them both to ~ 1 1/2 turns open.

Choke closed, Throttle ~ 1/3rd open.
Ignition on
Flip until it "pops"
Open the choke and close the throttle to "a couple of clicks of trim" open
Flip it until it starts.

This is based on your statement that it pos occassionally - so the carb diaphragm must have fuel there already.
aussiesteve is offline Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Last edited by aussiesteve; 10-03-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Joined Jun 2013
221 Posts
Got it running just a few minutes ago. I put a 21" prop on it as opposed to the 20" and it helped. Seems to be tuned perfectly right out of the box. I ran it for about 5 minutes and one of my plug wires came off. Are you guys using those springs that come with it.? I think this might have been why the plug wire fell off. They were secure before it started. Thanks for your help!

Valley View RC 40cc twin first start at dark. (4 min 17 sec)
Last edited by RKEstes; 10-02-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,325 Posts
Excellent.
I would have been very surprised if it was anything major as VVRC are amongst the best at "pre-delivery QC".

I would use the springs but many don't.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by hone1er
:)
Joined Sep 2012
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKEstes View Post
Got it running just a few minutes ago. I put a 21" prop on it as opposed to the 20" and it helped. Seems to be tuned perfectly right out of the box. I ran it for about 5 minutes and one of my plug wires came off. Are you guys using those springs that come with it.? I think this might have been why the plug wire fell off. They were secure before it started. Thanks for your help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzbtB...m-upload_owner
Glad you got it running :thumbup:
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by RC_Feen
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
1,115 Posts
VVRC will take care of you! One of the best vendors in the hobby. Don't stop to ask them a question! Very helpful and the 40cc Twin get's started and ran up before it's shipped as far as QC (quality Control) standpoint. Very happy with this attention to detail and CS service!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 AM
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
VVRC will take care of you! One of the best vendors in the hobby. Don't stop to ask them a question! Very helpful and the 40cc Twin get's started and ran up before it's shipped as far as QC (quality Control) standpoint. Very happy with this attention to detail and CS service!
+1 on that - it's why my first suggestion was to contact them
Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by Tailslide
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2013
456 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have any tricks for getting this engine to start for the first time? I bumped it against the compression 8-10 times till I felt fuel at the carb. Ignition on flipped alot! Just a pop now and then but no start. Each time (3 in about 2 hours) I got a pop I opened the choke and set the throttle to about 1/4 but no joy. I tried a starter but mine didn't have enough humph to turn it over. The plugs were dry.
Mine was difficult to get started the first time. If you can get fuel past the reeds and into the crankcase it will start readily. The down facing carb doesn't help. While choking the fuel draw has to fight gravity to get up past the reeds and into the crankcase.
To get it to start the first time, turn the engine so the prop is facing vertical. The carb opening will be horizontal. Squirt a good amount of fuel, maybe a half ounce, into the carb with the choke and throttle plates wide open. Make sure the ignition is off and turn the prop gently a few times slowly with your thunb over the carb opening. Set the engine into horizontal running position. If fuel runs out of the exhaust stacks then fuel made it into the crankcase.
With ignition still off and choke off and throttle wide open flip the prop briskly a few times to clear the plugs. Close the choke. Set the throttle at 1/8th to 1/4 open. Turn on the ignition and flip until it pops and once more after it pops. Open the choke and it should start within 3 to 6 flips. Once it runs for a while after the first start it should start easily thereafter. Usually just a few flips.
Tailslide is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by Scooterpilot
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jan 2006
428 Posts
I do like the sound of the VVRC twin
Scooterpilot is offline Find More Posts by Scooterpilot
Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by bcchi
Riverton Wy 82501
Joined Mar 2007
942 Posts
Quote:

Valley View RC 40cc twin first start at dark. - YouTube
Make sure plug cap is locking on the plug,push down hard and turn CW cap should turn about 25 degrees and then come up a small amount.Reverse operation to remove cap.I do not use the extra springs. I have about 20 flights on my VV 20,love it.turning a 20x8 Xaor also starting to like the VV props and price is reasonable.I am also flying the VV 20 a nice little engine maybe not quite the power of the DL 20 . But smoother and handles eaiser.Has a gen walbro carb a NGK spark plug and a good timing curve on ETC.Power is coming up as time is put on the engine. Hoped to fly thm both next week end but is snowing they say 6 to 12 inches.We had 6 inches last fri but gone by Sat.
Grumpy no 2. BCCHI,AMA 2500
bcchi is offline Find More Posts by bcchi
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Joined Jun 2013
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcchi View Post
Make sure plug cap is locking on the plug,push down hard and turn CW cap should turn about 25 degrees and then come up a small amount.Reverse operation to remove cap.I do not use the extra springs. I have about 20 flights on my VV 20,love it.turning a 20x8 Xaor also starting to like the VV props and price is reasonable.I am also flying the VV 20 a nice little engine maybe not quite the power of the DL 20 . But smoother and handles eaiser.Has a gen walbro carb a NGK spark plug and a good timing curve on ETC.Power is coming up as time is put on the engine. Hoped to fly thm both next week end but is snowing they say 6 to 12 inches.We had 6 inches last fri but gone by Sat.
Grumpy no 2. BCCHI,AMA 2500
Thanks. I did not know that the caps turned to lock. You may have just saved me from a dead stick!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,613 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I did not know that the caps turned to lock. You may have just saved me from a dead stick!

If it is an RCXL unit, then it doesn't lock on. The ring is what keeps it on.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 10-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Jun 2013
221 Posts
It is an RCXL ignition and the plugs caps twisted to lock on. I will never worry about them falling off again!
Old 10-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,613 Posts
Interesting.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb

Quick Reply