logo
Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by flyerdave
United States, NC, Mt Olive
Joined Jan 2009
74 Posts
Question
DLE55-A123 1100ma S2-Too much????

I know this question has been answered here several times before, just wondering have the newer generation of ignitions had any changes that might make them more tolerant of the higher 6.6 voltage of the A123? I bought a 50cc ultimate from a guy that had a ZDZ60 on it with falcon ignition and he had been running 1100ma 2 cell A123 and said he had never had a problem. I just put this new DLE55 on it and I don't think I want to chance frying the ignition. I have never used anything more than 4.8 volts on any of my ignition engines, but I know lots of guys who use 6.0 volts and even higher.
Thanks
flyerdave is offline Find More Posts by flyerdave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by rcnut
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
46 Posts
Info straight from the engine specs below....you can put in a diode or two in series on the positive lead from the battery to the ignition and this will drop the voltage from 6.6 to 6 or below. I have done both with and without diodes..no problem with DA50, DL50 and RCG50...3 or 4 years running now. Diode, Radio Shack is IN4003.....pn 276-1102

Have fun...

John
Technical Data:
Manifold: 4-petal, V-type, reed-valve, bottom induction
Ignition Battery: 4.8-6.0V NiCd or NiMH, 6.6V LiFe or 7.4V LiPo pack (LiPo or LiFe use requires voltage regulator.)
Compression Ratio: 7.6:1
Gas/Oil Mix: 30:1
Replacement Spark Plug: NGK CM6 (DLEG5510) or equivalent
Weights (Individual): Engine: 47.6 oz (1,350 g); Exhaust: 3.5 oz (100 g); Ignition: 4.2 oz (120 g)
rcnut is offline Find More Posts by rcnut
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
He never had a problem because the newer Falcon ignitions are designed for high voltage. They say the newer Rcexl ones can handle a A123 but myself I would use a diode on it.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by ggunter
Rising Sun Md.
Joined Apr 2010
174 Posts
The general consences is it shortens the life over 5.5 volts. By how much who knows. Iv'e never seen a study with conclusive results. Jedi Jody and TOM have both said it does. If any one would know I think they would. Iv'e always used 2000mah 4.8 NIMH packs.
ggunter is offline Find More Posts by ggunter
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Lyndonville, VT
Joined Nov 2008
1,064 Posts
Until I see a voltage range such as 7.4V-6V printed on the module I'd just add the diodes or use a regulator, or better yet, an IBEC such as the Syssa or Wike that'll provide the regulation.
AFAIK, if you have two batteries on a gas powered plane, they should provide redundancy for the radio system and the ignition.
The ignition module manufacturers would do well to up the input voltage to be compatible with today's higher voltage systems, if they did make the change to a higher voltage input requirement, it would also result in slightly lower current draw.
Pete
Pilotpete is offline Find More Posts by Pilotpete

Quick Reply