Old 02-12-2019, 04:46 AM
Find More Posts by Dan Gallo
AZ Aerosports
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchesP View Post
Where did you get that carbon tape? I've been looking on the net and can't find what I'm looking for. Thx
Hi,

I get the carbon tape, cloth and resins etc from a place over here in the UK:

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/

They've got all the composite materials you would need as a modeller but probably a bit far away for you.
Dan Gallo is offline Find More Posts by Dan Gallo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-12-2019, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchesP View Post
Where did you get that carbon tape? I've been looking on the net and can't find what I'm looking for. Thx
Not sure of your location, but if you're in the U.S., try ACP Compostites in Livermore, California. They should have what you're looking for.

https://store.acpsales.com/?__hstc=3...e-6c43c01a66d4

This may be the stuff right here:

https://store.acpsales.com/products/...ctional-sheets

Dan, really enjoying the build. You're doing a fine job!
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Last edited by DGrant; 02-12-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:21 PM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Not sure of your location, but if you're in the U.S., try ACP Compostites in Livermore, California. They should have what you're looking for.

https://store.acpsales.com/?__hstc=3...e-6c43c01a66d4

This may be the stuff right here:

https://store.acpsales.com/products/...ctional-sheets

Dan, really enjoying the build. You're doing a fine job!
Thanks, it's coming along bit by bit
Old 02-18-2019, 03:31 PM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Not much progress this last while as been putting together another plane for freestyle, but that's done now (until some maintenance has to be done on it lol), so back to the Carden build.
This evening I cut out the ailerons from the sheeted wings, that were previously marked out. The 3/8" aileron LE and wing TE strips were allowed for. I also cut a 5/16" clearance from the wing to the aileron root, this is capped with 1/16" or 3/32" balsa to give a gap I like the look of. The balsa was scored with a scalpel and then cut through with a blade, both sides of the wing, till the aileron came free of the wing. Then block sanded the faces flat, all ready to sheet with the 3/8" balsa next.
The hard points in the ailerons are from JTEC Radiowave , part of their composite control horn packs. Used these on previous wings, really good.
Last edited by Dan Gallo; 02-18-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:30 PM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Did some more work on the wings. They are at the build stage whereby there is only the root facing to do. This will be done when I match up the wings to the fuselage side in future.
Marked a centreline down the aileron facings and drilled the holes for the Robart pin hinges. I marked the positions with a scriber, followed by a small drill then using the Robart drill jig when drilling out to size. The bevels were marked out, razor planed and sanded. It took a while to get it looking ok. Lastly put on the wing tip and covered the aileron root and tip. Enjoying this build a lot
Last edited by Dan Gallo; 03-12-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:10 PM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Started back working on the previously sheeted tail planes and fin this evening. Only a bit of work, gluing on the 3/8" LE and TE sheet with aliphatic glue, followed by taping to hold it in place. Will leave it all to dry overnight, ready to plane and sand to the correct profile.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:32 AM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Tailplanes are shaping up now. Made up an elevator template, marked it out top and bottom on each tailplane and cut free the elevators. Then glued on the 1/2" balsa facings, left to dry followed by razor planing and sanded them to match the surface.
I also made up a simple jig for marking out where the joiner tube goes into the tailplane. This will help with the hard point locations. The next job is to mark the hinge positions and bevel the 1/2" stock.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by grabs39
crooked lefty
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jun 2013
666 Posts
Great idea making that jig template part.
grabs39 is offline Find More Posts by grabs39
Old 03-08-2019, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
Excellent idea on that tube template! I'm sure there's a few uses for that type of concept...
I got a few ideas just looking at your device... and I will now use a similar concept on a few planes... Great stuff...

These type build threads are as good as it gets... this technique is another one for that library we all have in our head... just outstanding!
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 03-09-2019, 02:54 AM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Thanks guys, glad you like or may use the tube marking out guide idea. Would like to know what other builder's methods are for that job, maybe there is a better one, but this works for me. Nothing worse than getting the location of the hard point and retainer bolt in the wrong place!
Old 03-10-2019, 11:28 AM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Fuselage work

The tailplane joiner tube marking out jig was used and the hard point position was drilled out.
Managed to make a start on the motor box this weekend. The flying surfaces are nearly there really so thought now's a good time to work on the fuz. I dry fitted all the ply motor box parts to check the fit and it all went together beautifully. I like the relief that's cut on each end of the tab slots, it makes fitting a lot better.
After dry fitting, I assembled the motor box with 30 min epoxy. When that dried, I went around every joint with a fillet of epoxy mixed with milled fibre. Just got to mount the undercart plate and pin with 1/8th dowel on F1 and the undercart hardwood.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:14 PM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Fuselage

Started putting together the fuselage side trusses now, these have gone together great with the 3/8th balsa square section for the longerons and verticals. I put some aluminium angle on the plan to keep them all straight during construction.
I also dry fitted the wing tube sleeve and checked it was level. Looking forward to doing more work on the fuz in due course.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:44 AM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Both trusses are waiting for the 1/8" balsa side sheeting now. Took ten minutes to line the canopy hard point holes with 3/8" lengths of 4mm OD brass tube 3mm ID for M3 screws). This will stop the holes opening out over time.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:31 PM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Fuselage work

Did some work on the fuselage sides, managed to get them nearly at the stage of gluing in position on the plan. Trial fitted a servo in the rudder locations. I fitted some 1/8" ply hard points where the canopy screws will go. Also cut the fuselage cross members and marked a centreline on them for lining up on the plan. Next stop, putting the fuz together
Old 03-27-2019, 04:41 PM
AZ Aerosports
Joined Sep 2015
44 Posts
Fuselage

Worked on on putting the fuselage sides onto the motor box and added the cross bracing with diagonals. Prior to laying it out on the building board I traced the diagonals onto some paper. This is so that they can be cut out and marked on the 3/8" Sq balsa. The angles where already marked on the wood so it was a matter of fine sanding to fit in place at the joints.

Quick Reply