logo
Old 05-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by chatfield3drc
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
Discussion
100 cc aeroworks edge wing failure

I saw a guy flying a 100cc Aeroworks Edge at Chatfield Colorado. The wing failed after about 2 weeks In mid flight. He lives in denver so he took the plane to aeroworks. Aeroworks said The wing shouldn't fail in mid flight no matter what. However After a week of investigation Airworks refuse to do anything about the failed wing Besides a 20 percent discount. Apparently They claimed People from the field said my friend was flying to aggressively. In addition The warranty is fit and finish.

Net result is No replacement plane. I saw the crash. You won't see me buy 1 anytime soon. That planeis way too soft for me. I don't know how Jason Noll's holds up.
chatfield3drc is offline Find More Posts by chatfield3drc
Last edited by chatfield3drc; 05-04-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
LOL @ Too aggressively. You or rather AW should see the way I fly mine and mine are all own design and very light weight. None have ever broken up in flight.

Funny really because a wing tube failed on a previous thread from a certain make ( OP didnt say which) but they company replaced the model free of charge. Would have thought AW could come out with a better reason to avoid replacement than flying too hard. Doesn't bode well for their models with that excuse on first impression considering AW models are built heavier than most makes with the exception of GP.

Should put a disclaimer in their sales brochure. " Walls to be flown at 1/4 throttle only"
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by bullardrm
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
377 Posts
Having been in RC for more than 42 years, from my experience, AW delivers one of the best ARF planes I have ever seen. Once it leaves the ground, there are NO guarentees. Their offer for a 20% discount is more than should be expected. That alone says they are doing what they can to keep the customer happy. If any company was to impliment a "full replacement" policy, they would be out of business in no time. If you want full replacement, buy an insurance policy.
bullardrm is offline Find More Posts by bullardrm
Old 05-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by chatfield3drc
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
I guess you're right What's the big deal New plane, $1000. Who cares if the wing breaks in half. Money grows on trees. Ill bet ford and gm wish they had that kind of warranty. Were only responsible for profits. I hope I can get that smart after 42 years.
chatfield3drc is offline Find More Posts by chatfield3drc
Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by 3daviator
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Jan 2006
1,373 Posts
Who's your friend? Where does he fly? Pictures of the damage? What exactly was he doing when it broke??

I'd like to know as I was strongly considering one of these.
3daviator is offline Find More Posts by 3daviator
Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
why did you open a new account to post this. why not use your current screen name?
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by rcflyguy
workin on rollers!!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
2,203 Posts
what servos, kind of linkage? There is a hundered ways to set up a GS aircraft... only about 5 are right.
rcflyguy is offline Find More Posts by rcflyguy
Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by mytms
United States, TN, Limestone
Joined Mar 2006
238 Posts
I recently had a wing failure on an airplane that the manufacturer said to bad so sad, however the distributor is going to take care of it. Anyone who thinks that the manufacter shouldn't be liable for faulty airplane construction is an idiot. If you went down to the ford/chevy dealer and bout a new car and two weeks later it broke in half driving down the street, where you gonna have it towed to? The dealership i"ll bet!!!
mytms is offline Find More Posts by mytms
Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatfield3drc View Post
I have a friend who recently purchased a100 cc aeroworks edge. The wing failed after about 2 weeks In mid flight. He lives in denver so he took the plane to aeroworks. Aeroworks said The wing shouldn't fail in mid flight no matter what. However After a week of investigation Airworks refuse to do anything about the failed wing Besides a 20 percent discount. Apparently They claimed People from the field said my friend was flying to aggressively. In addition The warranty is fit and finish.

Net result is No replacement plane. I saw the crash. You won't see me buy 1 anytime soon. That planeis way too soft for me. I don't know how Jason Noll's holds up.
Not 100% sure who you are in relation to the original edge owner but I would liketo address this regardless.

Rocco and myself both took the time to review the wings independently and neither of us found any flaws in their construction. The spars were free of knots, the wood was completely up to our high standards as far as wood quality goes. The wings were glued and assembled to the same specs that all of them are built to including Jason's and mine. We have pushed this plane as hard as we feel we can but we also understand that throttle management is key to keeping any plane together.

We arrived at our decision due to a number of factors including what I mentioned above. We also heard from many customers that were present during many of the flights prior to the wing failure that the plane was being flown excessively hard and with abandon.

Also, I have posted the warranty from page #4 of the 100cc Edge manual below if any one is curious.

It is important to notify Aeroworks of any damage or problems with the model within 30 days of receiving your airplane to be covered under warranty. If you wish to return this air- craft for any reason a 15% restock fee will be charged to the customer. In addition the cus- tomer is responsible for all return shipping cost and allprior shipping cost will not be re- funded. Parts will befixed or replacedoncetheoriginal item isreturned at the owner’s ex- pense. If you have any problems or questions, please contact Aeroworks. Aeroworks cannot insure the skill of the modeler and cannot influence the builder during the construction or use of this aircraft, and therefore, will not be accountable for any property damage, bodily injury or death caused by this aircraft. Aeroworks cannot insure the skill of the modeler and cannot influence the builder during the construction or use of this aircraft, and therefore, The purchaser/operator accepts all responsibility of any and all structural or mechanical failures.

If any one has any questions in regard to this matter feel free to email or call me at Aeroworks. I can assure you all that this was a user induced failure and not a defect in the wing.

Mark Dennis
Aeroworks
303-371-4222 ext 105
Mark@Aero-Works.net
Mark Dennis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Old 05-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by bullardrm
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytms View Post
I recently had a wing failure on an airplane that the manufacturer said to bad so sad, however the distributor is going to take care of it. Anyone who thinks that the manufacter shouldn't be liable for faulty airplane construction is an idiot. If you went down to the ford/chevy dealer and bout a new car and two weeks later it broke in half driving down the street, where you gonna have it towed to? The dealership i"ll bet!!!
How do you know it was falty construction? Comparing apples to oranges--hobby aircraft to automibiles .
bullardrm is offline Find More Posts by bullardrm
Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytms View Post
That's not really an even comparison in this case. If you were to purchase a car and than take it off roading for example and broke the sespension you would be towing the vehicle to a local shop to have it fixed at your own expense. That is a much closer explanation to what happened in this case compared to your example.

Mark
Mark Dennis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Old 05-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Find More Posts by Rick1999
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
1,767 Posts
Sorry for your loss Aeroworks has always taken care of me. ie: shippent damage, paint chipping on cowl just a few pics and a couple days later the little brown truck arrived
Rick1999 is offline Find More Posts by Rick1999
Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by f5air
Fly it....fly it.
Joined Jun 2009
2,546 Posts
well, is really difficult to know if there was a problem with the airframe, or the owner did make a mistake setting all the airplane. At that point the best way is going to the manufacturer and ask for help............check what happen and wait the reply of what they think about the issue. Rocco and Mark did one time for me, i didnt show up on forums saying things to push them for a good result or call by phone screaming bad things, for me "if you want help, there is a good way to ask for it". They did a great job in my case and i will def. buy another one anytime. I have the 150cc Extra 300 project in mind, i love how my extra 300 50cc do the job.
f5air is offline Find More Posts by f5air
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by GravyGoodness
3D Farmer 4 Life
United States, NC, Elm City
Joined Jun 2010
1,328 Posts
AW has always taken care of me, no matter what. I've seen Jason punish their edges and extras in person, and if this one failed it had to be due to insane pilot inputs. Sorry you had a problem, but they offered to help with the purchase of a new one. This thread will not stop me from buying a Yak 55 as soon as it is introduced.

Good example

jason noll practise with aeroworks 100cc edge 540 (5 min 39 sec)
GravyGoodness is offline Find More Posts by GravyGoodness
Last edited by GravyGoodness; 05-02-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
i think it was helpfull that they got to inspect the plane personally.i do believe if they seen what would have been a manufactor defect they would have replaced it.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951

Quick Reply