logo
Old 11-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by kevgofly
Marysville, WA
Joined Jan 2006
438 Posts
Welcome IMAC NW

Welcome to IMAC NW! Over the past few years the one huge shortcoming I've seen in our region is an effective and convenient method to communicate. The kind of place people want to go in order to gain information. Thanks to the Flying Giants Staff we now have that.

To get things started off, I plan to do a thread on building tricks and tips as I move forward (finally) on the new Carden. I'm at sea again this week, but should be able to get some stuff posted by this weekend. Being that "building season" is in FULL EFFECT in our area, hopefully this will prove timely to some of you out there. Also we'll do a step by step thread on flying the 07 sequences and try to identify some of the possible pitfalls of each one.

So, lot's of stuff coming. If you guys have anything you'd like to see covered, let me know, I'll see what we can do. Also, please take the time to pass on your ideas, thoughts, build / fly thread, whatever you have.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the field (if it ever stops raining).
Kev
kevgofly is offline Find More Posts by kevgofly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-23-2006, 01:36 AM
Find More Posts by John cox
canby oregon
Joined Oct 2006
12 Posts
Re: Welcome IMAC NW

Nice!!!
Looking forward to your thred!
John cox is offline Find More Posts by John cox
Old 11-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Find More Posts by TonyThomasian
Rollin', Rollin', and Rollin'
Tigard,Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
2,432 Posts

yup! Hope to see you after the raining season! I really like the NW group of imac pilots, they are all helpful.
TonyThomasian is offline Find More Posts by TonyThomasian
Old 11-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts

Kev, you guys play that elephant game at every event?
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old 11-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Hey Kevin, what project are you working on for this season? Looking forward to seeing what you come up with after your Xtreme Team Extra. Crossing my fingers to even see it in person this season.....

NW IMAC rocks! Great group of guys.
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 11-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by kevgofly
Marysville, WA
Joined Jan 2006
438 Posts

First off, I'm proud to say, I'VE NEVER PLAYED ELEPHANT! But in all fairness, the guys who play it always have fun with it, not sure how it got started around here, but it is becoming a tradition.

As for the latest project Ryan, it's a Carden Yak. It's comign along (finally) and I'm really enjoying being back in the shop working on somehting, I'd forgotten how much I've missed that. I saw your trailer was stolen, did you have any luck recovering it? We'd love to see you back out here, let us know if you head this way, you've always got a place to stay and planes to fly here.

I was able to fly last Saturday for the first time in who knows how long and had a blast! I've started flying helis a little as wll, so I was bouncing between the 330 (Carden) and the Furry having a Ball! Hopefully one day this weekend will be good, I really want to fly the new sequence, I flew the Advanced last weekend to see how it went, I really like it this year, it a great sequence, the comittee did an excellent job. I'll get started on the break down of it soon.

Tony, your right about the NW guys, you just can't find a better group of people. Are you going to make it up to the Puyallup event this year? It's kind of the "mid winter" meeting grounds for everyone.

Well, back to the garage now (until the Turkey is done)! Gotta get some sheeting glued up!

Take care and happy thanksgiving to all of you, we definitely have a lot to be thankful for,
Kev
kevgofly is offline Find More Posts by kevgofly
Old 11-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Hey Kevin, no luck finding the trailer or plane yet. Deciding what to do with the insurance money - would love to do a Carden 300 though. Until then I'll be practicing the Unlimited 2007 sequence with the old trusty composite Extra. I'm working on a couple job opportunities that would bring me back to the Northwest, which would be awesome. That's a secret though, so don't read the previous sentence. I will definitely get out for Puyallup either way though.
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 11-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by Brandon Petersen
Preecision
Nampa, ID
Joined Jan 2006
173 Posts

This is perfect. I've been playing around with IMAC for a few years now and plan to start attending some events here in the NW! So far I have only been to contests in Salt Lake City. Great group of guys, but I want to see some different scenery as well. My wife and I have been looking over the calendar and are in the process of planning some trips. Unfortunately soouthwest Idaho is about as far as you can get from most of the contests....so we'll see how it goes.

Just to get an idea, if we plan a contest for Nampa, ID, how many people would make the trek? I mean, it seems that most of the activity is farther north, but are there many people who would come over from Portland and some of the other Eastern Oregon areas? Let me know...I have wanted to do something for some time now and the only thing that has stopped me is...well not being a CD, but mainly not knowing what kind of turn out to expect.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Have fun
Brandon Petersen
Nampa ,ID
Brandon Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Brandon Petersen
Old 11-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by TonyThomasian
Rollin', Rollin', and Rollin'
Tigard,Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
2,432 Posts

Kev- i will try to make it up for any imac meets this coming season. Last season was my first try at imac and i started late in the year and had the chance to go to only 2 meets. snohomish and mollala. Next season should be a BLAST!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
TonyThomasian is offline Find More Posts by TonyThomasian
Old 11-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by Brandon Petersen
Preecision
Nampa, ID
Joined Jan 2006
173 Posts

Also.....will there be any plans for another judging seminar, flight training weekend in the spring?

Thanks
Brandon
Brandon Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Brandon Petersen
Old 12-09-2006, 04:06 AM
Find More Posts by wingwall
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Petersen View Post
Also.....will there be any plans for another judging seminar, flight training weekend in the spring?

Thanks
Brandon

Brandon,

Thought I would weigh in here for you. Been checking occasionally to see if anyone, like Kevin, will respond to your questions. Apparently not yet. Kevin might be out to sea, being in the U.S. Navy and all. And... I am not sure how many NW guys are aware of this thread to have noticed your question.

I have not heard of any planning going on for a 2007 schedule, but I may be out of the loop. I believe Kevin Miller and Francis Garcia have done it the past to years, with some help from others. We typically have a judging seminar associated with the Polar Bear contest in May at our RAMS field in Auburn, WA, although it was put off this year to June and held at the Snohomish, WA field. As things firm up Francis will put the tentative schedule up on our NW web site,

www.imacnw.com

I fly Intermediate in the NW Region, and have driven as far as Medford, OR, and Coeur d'Alene, ID, for a contest. I live in Edgewood, WA, near Tacoma. My wife typically goes with me to the contest in Coeur d'Alene and often spends Saturday, and that night with our daughter at WSU in Pullman, so we double purpose that trip. Medford is the farthest for me, but I did do it this spring despite the high price of gas. The distances can be a little pricey for many, particularly for the younger folks. Some can find a ride with others; I presume sharing in the cost.

I just might be talked into going to Nampa, ID for a contest though. Depending on the timing, I could go onto Salt Lake and visit and fly with my brother. I have been meaning to go down there when they have an Imac event and introduce him to Imac flying. Haven't been able to talk him into it yet. He flies the small stuff (glow and electric) and I think he is a little intimidated by the size of planes we fly. I know I was. It was a big step for me to go to a 104 inch, 27.5 pound airplane, but that and gas is so....... nice. I am now flying a 35% Radiocraft Extra 330 LX with a BME 102 and will be also flying a Columbo Anderson 34% Extra 300L with DA 100 this next year. Don't get me wrong though, I am not giving up on glow just yet, and I do have a few foamies. Many of the guys will play around at the end of the day Saturday of a contest, relaxing with a foamy.

It must have been a lengthy trip just for you to go down to Salt Lake. Anyway, you are more than welcome to join us here in the NW. We have a great bunch of guys here also. Actually we have some nationally known flyers. Many across the country are now aware of the flying skills of Kyle Woyshis and John Wondra from the TAS. I'm sure Kevin and a few others will make there presence known before too long. See Ya.

Warren
wingwall is offline Find More Posts by wingwall
Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by LawnJockey
cuttin the grass with balsa
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jan 2006
1,490 Posts

This is very cool. I also plan on flying in some IMAC contests this year. I may even travel with Brandon . I would really like to have a contest at the Nampa Field . Anyway, I will be reading and watching this thread.

Bruce Rolfe
LawnJockey is offline Find More Posts by LawnJockey
Old 12-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by Bruce
Joined Jan 2006
635 Posts

Good info from Warren - an update on the schedule is that I am working it for Kevin and all the interested and returning contest directors have been contacted and given a proposed schedule. I will finalize things as soon as possible and then the schedule will be published on the IMAC NW web site. I will post a message to our Yahoo group email when that happens. The schedule will be about the same as last year with, hopefully, one or two contests added.

As for judging schools, we will hold at least one in the Puget Sound area. In addition we are attempting to schedule one or two schools in other parts of the region during the year.

Stay tuned.
Bruce
Bruce is offline Find More Posts by Bruce

Quick Reply