logo
Old 03-10-2020, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Wrong thread
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Last edited by Truckracer; 03-10-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-10-2020, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
I could see with a lot of these new servo's being so fast that it might be an issue but you should be able to get your engine tuned that you can slam the throttle and have it come to life immediately because unfortunately you might need it to one day. Maybe your to concerned with a mid range burble that might disappear with some more time on the engine.

Regarding "may need it one day" I would be willing to bet all the beer you could drink in one session that you would not be able to detect a "throttle delayed" setup, by watching or by flying, vs. the more conventional set up. And trust me, I was as surprised as anyone else when I was talked into trying it.

If you ever need it, don't be shy to at least try it. You're only talking about 2-3 minutes max to defeat it and put it back to normal if it doesn't work as expected. Upside is you may be in for a pleasant surprise....

-Al
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 03-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2013
1,077 Posts
Set up throttle curve using a tachometer.
William_Burkert is offline Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Old 03-10-2020, 06:58 PM
jlc
Find More Posts by jlc
jlc
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2012
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHicks View Post
Regarding "may need it one day" I would be willing to bet all the beer you could drink in one session that you would not be able to detect a "throttle delayed" setup, by watching or by flying, vs. the more conventional set up. And trust me, I was as surprised as anyone else when I was talked into trying it.

If you ever need it, don't be shy to at least try it. You're only talking about 2-3 minutes max to defeat it and put it back to normal if it doesn't work as expected. Upside is you may be in for a pleasant surprise....

-Al
I don’t need to, I don’t have an engine that stumbles when the throttle is punched. Truckracer might have a point though I just have big displacement engines. I haven’t had anything smaller than a 150cc for the last 5 years.
jlc is offline Find More Posts by jlc
Old 03-14-2020, 09:35 AM
tvo
Find More Posts by tvo
tvo
United States, TX, Lake Jackson
Joined Sep 2016
15 Posts
Help tuning GP-123 engine

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas.
tvo is offline Find More Posts by tvo
Old 06-06-2020, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by Timh
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2016
98 Posts
Not sure if this is a tuning problem or something else. I have never seen or heard of this before. Motor starts but it won't transition. When you increase the throttle it bogs down in the mid range and will die. If you baby it through the mid range a little at a time it clears out eventually and runs good for a full flight. Thoughts?
Timh is offline Find More Posts by Timh
Old 06-06-2020, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timh View Post
Not sure if this is a tuning problem or something else. I have never seen or heard of this before. Motor starts but it won't transition. When you increase the throttle it bogs down in the mid range and will die. If you baby it through the mid range a little at a time it clears out eventually and runs good for a full flight. Thoughts?

Lean low speed needle
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 06-06-2020, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by deadrobmusic
They Call Him Dead
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jun 2007
1,039 Posts
Quote:
I would ask for more information:

When you say it bogs down.... does it stutter and spit and then die? Or does it just go Wahhhnt. ?

What happens after you fly? Can you re-fuel immediately and fly agin with no issue? Or do you have to baby it through again?

I fly only DA, so can't say about others. But in order for me to get my motors to transition and really be super responsive in flight, I have to keep my low end needle lean out right up to the point of almost too lean. When I start a cold motor, it won't spool up. I let it sit and run for maybe a minute to warm up. Then I still have to baby it to spool up. I usually work the throttle up and down rapidly to get it to work through the transition at first. But once I get her rev'd up, I am good to go. Then when flying I have super responsive motor even at low middle.

I DO USE AN IDLE UP SWITCH to prevent dead stick!
deadrobmusic is offline Find More Posts by deadrobmusic
Old 06-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by mm2icbm
Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Aug 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
I too, was wondering when this happens; 1st flight of the day or anytime after the engine sits and gets cold? All of my engines (DA's & DLE's) exhibit this behavior on 1st flight of the day. I will start the engine and let it idle for a minute or two, so that the engine warms up. Then I have to "clean out" the engine with several rapid low-high-low throttle stick movements. This does the trick for me and I'm good to go for the rest of the day. But if I end up sitting on my duff for an hour or so, I end up repeating this procedure.
mm2icbm is offline Find More Posts by mm2icbm
Old 06-07-2020, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by Timh
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2016
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrobmusic View Post
I would ask for more information:

When you say it bogs down.... does it stutter and spit and then die? Or does it just go Wahhhnt. ?

What happens after you fly? Can you re-fuel immediately and fly agin with no issue? Or do you have to baby it through again?

I fly only DA, so can't say about others. But in order for me to get my motors to transition and really be super responsive in flight, I have to keep my low end needle lean out right up to the point of almost too lean. When I start a cold motor, it won't spool up. I let it sit and run for maybe a minute to warm up. Then I still have to baby it to spool up. I usually work the throttle up and down rapidly to get it to work through the transition at first. But once I get her rev'd up, I am good to go. Then when flying I have super responsive motor even at low middle.

I DO USE AN IDLE UP SWITCH to prevent dead stick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2icbm View Post
I too, was wondering when this happens; 1st flight of the day or anytime after the engine sits and gets cold? All of my engines (DA's & DLE's) exhibit this behavior on 1st flight of the day. I will start the engine and let it idle for a minute or two, so that the engine warms up. Then I have to "clean out" the engine with several rapid low-high-low throttle stick movements. This does the trick for me and I'm good to go for the rest of the day. But if I end up sitting on my duff for an hour or so, I end up repeating this procedure.
I happens everytime during the same day of flight. I am not sure, if you land, fuel up and start again. I would say if you just trasition from low to high it would "Wahhhnt" and die. If you coax it, it spits and sputters. It is a DA 50.
Timh is offline Find More Posts by Timh
Old 06-07-2020, 07:16 AM
They Call Him Dead
Joined Jun 2007
1,039 Posts
Quote:
I happens everytime during the same day of flight. I am not sure, if you land, fuel up and start again. I would say if you just trasition from low to high it would "Wahhhnt" and die. If you coax it, it spits and sputters. It is a DA 50.
If it spits and sputters, you are probably rich on the low end needle. Try turning the low end needle in and see what happens. But move it just a little at a time.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
IMAC NE RD
United States, VA, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
I’ve been following Terry’s method for all my gas engines, but my ear must be wrong. My motors all will idle all day, do not hesitate at all when I jam the throttle to full. When I cut the throttle from full, they go right to an RPM and stay there. However, when I look at my plugs and headers, it sure looks like I’m running rich.

What could I be doing wrong?
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old 01-31-2021, 07:57 PM
They Call Him Dead
Joined Jun 2007
1,039 Posts
It looks like it may be SLIGHTLY rich. You could always try turning the low end in just a bit, see what happens.... Then again, if it ain't broke????
Old 01-31-2021, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigdave View Post
I’ve been following Terry’s method for all my gas engines, but my ear must be wrong. My motors all will idle all day, do not hesitate at all when I jam the throttle to full. When I cut the throttle from full, they go right to an RPM and stay there. However, when I look at my plugs and headers, it sure looks like I’m running rich.

What could I be doing wrong?
First, that plug has some time on it so it is almost impossible to read it. Second and most important, if your engine is running as you expect it to run and you are happy with it, it is tuned correctly for you! That is more important than any plug reading. Now if you are after that last tiny bit of power then plug reading might be important. I'd say that plug looks about average for one that has been in the engine for awhile.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 01-31-2021, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by mm2icbm
Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Aug 2011
30 Posts
What oil are you using and what is the mix ratio to gas? Also, what engine did that plug come out of?
mm2icbm is offline Find More Posts by mm2icbm

Quick Reply