logo
Old 08-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by Steve_JR
Stephen Noble
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Oct 2015
99 Posts
I just sold mine recently as well... It is the best radio I ever had but is defiantly meant more for helis than planes. While it works perfect for pretty much any type of flying anything, it will be a while before they release just normal rx's for planes. If you want to use vplane currently, you need to have a vbar gyro such as a fullsize vbar w/sat, vbar mini w/sat, or vbar neo vlink. All of these are pricey.
Steve_JR is offline Find More Posts by Steve_JR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-27-2016, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by excelon
United States, FL, Deerfield Beach
Joined Apr 2015
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
Yes, that's the one. It's an awesome radio system if you exclusively fly Vbar. I had one until I started flying mostly 3D planes then I swapped to a Jeti.
+1 on Jeti.

I can't believe Mikado made it so you cannot fly Vplane via PPM, Sbus, UDI or the like. I am a big fan of Mikado and would love to install a mini Vbar w/ Vplane in a plane I'm building now. I will just have to wait for Jeti to release their RX/Gyro combo.
excelon is offline Find More Posts by excelon
Old 11-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by Skeezix
Joined Jul 2018
8 Posts
Hello all. Just wanted to say that I have been flying vcontrol with VPlane since last July. I currently have just one nitro biplane with a neo/VPlane but will be adding the system to 3 other nitro planes and an electric plane over the next 6 months. I’ll report here what I find if anyone is interested.
To save money, you can use mini vbars one some planes which is what I am doing. However if you want to program channels (on board flow driver, retracts, flaps) you need to use a NEO and utilize the Macrocell feature.
Skeezix is offline Find More Posts by Skeezix
Old 11-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Joined Jul 2018
8 Posts
Adding to the post above, I learned last week that a NEO without the built in VLink receiver, cannot be upgraded for VPlane. I have gone back and fourth with Mikado in Germany, and cannot fathom why this is. Their explanation makes zero logical sense, other than 'we're German and we can do what we want'

So older legacy vbars can be upgraded for free (Mini Vbar, Silverline, Blueline), and Vlink NEOs can be upgraded if you purchase the upgraded license for 'PRO'

I am currently flying the below models on VPlane and will post when I have more data.

NEO - Great Planes Reactor 60 3D bipe (nitro)
NEO - Great Planes Super Skybolt (nitro)
Mini Vbar - Sig Wonder (nitro)
Mini Vbar - Extreme flight Pantera (electric)
NEO - Great Planes kit built Ultra sport 40 w/retracts (nitro)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Joined Jul 2018
8 Posts
Posting another update:
I've flown the Skybolt with Vplane, and while it's a different animal than the Reactor, I noticed much the same behavior. Twitchy wings were the worst part. That is something I am tuning out of the Reactor as well. Increasing Aileron gain, and also locking has reduced the twitchieness to nearly nothing.

I have a Mini vbar with Vplane ready to fly on an Extreme flight Pantera electric plane. I'm only waiting on the weather cooperate before I maiden the Pantera.

Additionally I have a nitro powered Sig Wonder that is ready to maiden once the weather is in my favor.

Last week, I purchased a Silverline vbar, and am hoping to learn how to program channels (flaps/retracts) on the legacy Vbar systems that do not utilize Macrocells. If anyone would like to donate a Vsat receiver to the project, I'd be grateful.

My goal in this is to try and help others learn and tune Vplane. It's an interesting system, and very capable, but the support is near zero, and most flyers aren't even aware of the product.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Joined Jul 2018
8 Posts
An update on my status for the new year 2019:

I was finally able to get enough flights on the Extreme Flight Pantera that I now have some experience to share.
The Pantera is running a Mini Vbar loaded with Vplane and using a Vsat receiver. The plane is quite stable without gyros, but adding gyros makes things even better, as expected.
The Vplane system in the Pantera is easier to tune/achieve results than the two nitro biplanes that I've been utilizing VPlane for. This could be due in part to the biplanes greater weight, higher drag, or greater wing area.

At this point, I think the results are very positive for the Pantera, and I was able to achieve arrow-like trajectory on aileron rolls by increasing the value on the AILERON-->ELEVATOR setting.

I have two more planes to utilize VPlane on later in 2019: a kit built Ultra Sport 40 with retracts, and a kit built Sig Wonder. Both are nitro powered.

As I collect more data/thoughts on the system I will post here.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Joined Jul 2018
8 Posts
Vplane update

Another quick update for those who care to read this thread.
I've been in contact with Mikado Germany regarding various functions in the Vcontrol system over the last week.

Below is a quick summary I made up based on Mikado's information, as well as my experience thus far relating to the functions of the control system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ensure that all three banks have the same agility and expo. (Bank 3 higher rudder for Pantera ground handling)

Basic:
-Expo: Dulls the throws around center stick – common adjustment.
-Gain: Increase value as much as possible until the plane quickly wags, then back off. Useful for wind bobbles.
-Agility: Overall control surface throw

Expert:
-Locking: A Mikado algorithm that locks in direction of the plane to maintain consistent direct. Useful for maintain level flight once flap are deployed
-Balance: Increase value if aircraft ‘bounces’ back after tiny inputs
-Integral: Gain for heading on axis – used mostly for hovering. Too high will cause a large but slow wag. Leave stock at 32 for most aircraft

Throttle:
-Gain reduction: Reduce control surface gain on full throttle flight, such as high speed passes. Useful for Pantera.
-Torque compensation: Needed only when no other locking/stabilization is used.

Autotrim: When flying level, and autotrim is enabled, the Vbar will ‘save’ the settings so the plane can maintain level flight. The plane will NOT level itself, rather the pilot is responsible for controlling level flight and then enabling the autotrim. Autotrim values can be adjusted once the flight is over and the plane is back on the ground. While useful, this feature can be misleading if conditions are windy, or if the plane cannot be flown straight for long distances.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Joined Jul 2018
8 Posts
Another VPlane update:
I continue to fly my models with VPlane, and just last month maidened a nitro kit-built Ultra sport 40 with retracts. As an experiment, I used an older VBar Silverline upgraded to Vplane.

For those not familiar with Mikado's line of VBars, the silver is an older design from 7 years ago that does NOT utilize the latest tech Mikado has to offer. I had to 'program' the channel for the retracts, and while it was not hard, it was a very frustrating 2 evenings of my life.

In the end, I'm happy to report that the plane flew extremely well, and the Silverline did a great job handling the winds.

I have one plane left to maiden with the VPlane system - nitro powered Sig Wonder - and am hoping to do it sometime this month.

In conclusion, the VPlane system works amazingly well and performs better than any other gyro-based receiver system I've ever used. The fact that I can switch between helis and planes is a huge added bonus. The major drawbacks are lack of US support, and complicated programming. This system offers much more adjustment than, say, a Spektrum system, at the expense of being a little more complicated to understand. All in all it works extremely well.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by VinceY
That guy
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Feb 2006
734 Posts
Thank you for continuing to add info here
VinceY is offline Find More Posts by VinceY
Old 12-31-2019, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by 08rangerdan
Canada, ON, London
Joined Oct 2017
12 Posts
I just discovered this thread on a search, and i just wanted to add some of my progress. Ive been experimenting with vplane for the last 3 years or so. I started out buying a new neo and upgraded to pro just so i could get v plane... that cost a fortune... I put that in a new hangar 9 carbon cub with flaps. Programmed fairly well and worked pretty good. Ive been playing with seperate programming for flap mixing because vplane seems to leave out evevator and flap mixing. I dont like gyro on my elevator for approaches it simply doesn't fly or balloon naturally. So i usually disable gyro on my elevator.

Later I then got a little smarter and purchased 2 used units, a silver and blue full size with full software. Both for half the price of a loaded neo. Put the silver in a 10cc escapade and it handles fantastic, similar setup as the cub, little different menu configuration on the v control but managable. I then put the blue line in a 10cc p51. A little more difficulty to program the blue line for manual flap mixing over the neo software but i think it will work well. Havent flown the p51 yet..

I actually just purchased my first blue line mini for a freshly built carl goldberg chipmunk with a 15cc rcgf engine. I decided to build flaps on this plane. I went to setup the mini and instantly noticed there isnt an option in the setup wizard for 'standard plane with flaps' you can only program it for standard, v tail or a delta configuration.. im a little upset about that.. but i will just pull the full size from the escapade and put the mini in that plane since it doesnt use flaps.

Just something to keep in mind about the minis.. they ARE limited in capabilities as far as i can see. Problem is with this radio system is that no body.. atleast where i am, has a mikado system, so i end up learning everything about this radio the hard way..
08rangerdan is offline Find More Posts by 08rangerdan
Last edited by 08rangerdan; 12-31-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:06 PM
Joined Jul 2018
8 Posts
Just another update to the VPlane story for those following this thread.

I'm still flying VPlane with good results. It was recently announced that there is a new NEO Mini coming out soon that may be an excellent fit for those who are space confined.

I have a RocHobby P-39 Racer waiting to be built, but some unfortunate life changes have slowed that project as well as my time to fly. The NEO Mini would be a great fit for the P-39, or any other space constrained locator where a mini vbar won't suffice.

Two big tips I'd like to share related to the plane's CG and placement of the Vbar in the air frame.

1) The CG of the plane is crucial to allow the VBar to work most efficiently, however if the CG is off, the Vbar will correct and you won't even 'feel' it whilst airborne. Once the plane is auto trimmed, and back on the ground, you can switch to bank #1 (unassisted) to see where the control surface deflection is at the 'neutral' trim point. Additionally, you can look at the auto-trim values in the Vcontrol screen sub-menu to see how far from value '0' the values are after the aircraft is auto trimmed.

2) The placement of the VBAR in the air frame should be as close to the CG as possible, but placement behind or in front of the CG is acceptable as long as THE CG OF THE PLANE IS SPOT ON.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:10 PM
Joined Jul 2018
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rangerdan View Post
I just discovered this thread on a search, and i just wanted to add some of my progress. Ive been experimenting with vplane for the last 3 years or so. I started out buying a new neo and upgraded to pro just so i could get v plane... that cost a fortune... I put that in a new hangar 9 carbon cub with flaps. Programmed fairly well and worked pretty good. Ive been playing with seperate programming for flap mixing because vplane seems to leave out evevator and flap mixing. I dont like gyro on my elevator for approaches it simply doesn't fly or balloon naturally. So i usually disable gyro on my elevator.

Later I then got a little smarter and purchased 2 used units, a silver and blue full size with full software. Both for half the price of a loaded neo. Put the silver in a 10cc escapade and it handles fantastic, similar setup as the cub, little different menu configuration on the v control but managable. I then put the blue line in a 10cc p51. A little more difficulty to program the blue line for manual flap mixing over the neo software but i think it will work well. Havent flown the p51 yet..

I actually just purchased my first blue line mini for a freshly built carl goldberg chipmunk with a 15cc rcgf engine. I decided to build flaps on this plane. I went to setup the mini and instantly noticed there isnt an option in the setup wizard for 'standard plane with flaps' you can only program it for standard, v tail or a delta configuration.. im a little upset about that.. but i will just pull the full size from the escapade and put the mini in that plane since it doesnt use flaps.

Just something to keep in mind about the minis.. they ARE limited in capabilities as far as i can see. Problem is with this radio system is that no body.. atleast where i am, has a mikado system, so i end up learning everything about this radio the hard way..

You are correct about the Mini Vbars being limited in capability. However, if you can get by with a Mini, they are much cheaper. If you need more functionality than the Mini, you can get a Silver or Blue full size. These are cumbersome, but allow placement of the sensor in smaller areas, while the 'box' can be stashed anywhere. The Neo offers the best of all worlds, but cost is the issue.

Glad to know it's working out well for you. We Vplane/Mikado users are a true Band of Brothers!
Old 05-07-2020, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by g33kfly
United States, AR, Tontitown
Joined Dec 2013
3 Posts
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. I have a VControl that I was considering selling. I don't fly helis much anymore and all my planes are currently Spektrum. I may hang onto it now as the VBasic receivers are out.
g33kfly is offline Find More Posts by g33kfly
Last edited by g33kfly; 07-12-2021 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by 08rangerdan
Canada, ON, London
Joined Oct 2017
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
You are correct about the Mini Vbars being limited in capability. However, if you can get by with a Mini, they are much cheaper. If you need more functionality than the Mini, you can get a Silver or Blue full size. These are cumbersome, but allow placement of the sensor in smaller areas, while the 'box' can be stashed anywhere. The Neo offers the best of all worlds, but cost is the issue.

Glad to know it's working out well for you. We Vplane/Mikado users are a true Band of Brothers!
Maybe you can walk me through my next 2 projects..

Im building a 1/5 scale p40. And also a .60 size AT6 texan.

The texan will be tight but utilizes only 1 elevator channel. I think with the aileron on a y harness i might be ok there. The p40 uses Air retract, twin elevator, twin aileron, twin flap. Rudder, throttle and optikill switch. Looking to install a fullsize blue or silver unit but not nearly enough channels.. How would you attempt to rig this p40? Is it really possible to connect 2 vbars together to get more outputs? Or i hear of some kind of power distribution box might get me more channels? Dont know where to look that up. I dont really want to use y harnesses on everything but i dont see any other way of getting it done. Thanks for any input.
08rangerdan is offline Find More Posts by 08rangerdan

Quick Reply