logo
Old 10-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,223 Posts
One of the greatest mysteries to ever evolve in the giant scale RC airplane industry.
As you can see from some of the previous posts, these axles have been used by many without incident.
I have had three of the axles fail on 40% planes and oddly enough, they did not fail on the ground.
They actually failed while the plane was flying. The axle parted right where it intersects with the hub. This phenomenon has been thoroughly discussed and debated on the White Rose site here on FG's.
There is no question that the products offered by White Rose Engineering are of superior quality.
Their wheels are second to none.
I must say however, for the miniscule weight savings the Titanium offers over steel, I would not consider using the axles.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by extrabad3
Extra Bad
United States, CA, Fallbrook
Joined Nov 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
I'll go against the grain and say I've bent several sets of 3/16 WR titanium axles, but I'm using them on a 100cc. Nothing but butter smooth landings, I switched to DuBro 3/16 axles with the old faithful White Rose wheels.
Thatís what Iím worried about. I donít want to spend that kind of money just to have them brake
extrabad3 is online now Find More Posts by extrabad3
Old 10-23-2019, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabad3 View Post
That’s what I’m worried about. I don’t want to spend that kind of money just to have them brake
I think the 3/16 stuff is good for 70cc and below. Many years ago, it was thought 3/16 titanium axles would be good on 120cc models (my WR wheels are probably 6+ years old), but I think the consensus now is that you aughta be using 1/4 axles or bigger now. I have not seen any of my buddies with 40% models on WR 1/4 axles bend them.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 10-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by SMOKINMAC
3W + Smoke !
United States, KY, Albany
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
I have had the WR 1/4 axles and wheels and brakes on my large 150cc aeroworks Yak and never an issue. The tires are showing wear, but that is to be expected using the brakes.

Donít understand the relevance of the discussion about the Snap ring groves, as those grooves are at the outer ends for Wheel retention only.
SMOKINMAC is online now Find More Posts by SMOKINMAC
Old 10-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKINMAC View Post
I have had the WR 1/4 axles and wheels and brakes on my large 150cc aeroworks Yak and never an issue. The tires are showing wear, but that is to be expected using the brakes.

Donít understand the relevance of the discussion about the Snap ring groves, as those grooves are at the outer ends for Wheel retention only.
I'm not out to dog on WR products.....they are all I have on every plane I fly. The snap ring has been known to come off (not sure why) and away goes an expensive wheel. I am not a fan of their axles for this reason and because some of these axles break. But I'm an absolute loyal customer on everything else they sell.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 10-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by highonthai
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2014
203 Posts
I use two snap rings per on a 1/4 axle. No problems. Broken wheels but never an axle.
highonthai is online now Find More Posts by highonthai
Old 10-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by grabs39
crooked lefty
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jun 2013
660 Posts
I put silicone glue on the e-clip. The 1/4” axles have a 6/32 thread inlet at the end and I put rounded head Allen screw with a washer as a last resort if my e-clip comes out.
grabs39 is offline Find More Posts by grabs39
Old 10-28-2019, 05:28 PM
Joined Feb 2014
203 Posts
I also use the screw and washer setup. But I don't think all the axles come with a threaded hole. Think you have to order them threaded .
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by jms5599
United States, MO, High Ridge
Joined Feb 2009
953 Posts
I have broke some of the WR axles, but they have been from really hard Harrier landings. They will break right off. The steel axles are probably better for beginners and hardcore huckin!
jms5599 is offline Find More Posts by jms5599
Old 10-31-2019, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Mar 2008
696 Posts
I use WR 1/4 inch axles and WR 5" wheels on all my 40% planes. 3 sets currently in use. 2 have the brake package as well. Normally I get very long service, typically will eventually wear out the tire, and have never had a C -clip come off and I do not use any other retention. I went to the WR axels after continually bending the outside axle turning on our narrow runway with 45lb. aircraft using the ARF supplied axle. No more bent axles.

I also like the brakes and set them so that at low idle my aircraft will sit still on a paved runway which was a problem before as I rarely had a helper or holder. At that setting the brakes will slightly slow the landing rollout but not appreciably. IMHO setting the brake friction higher is too hard on the airframe and gear at touch down.

I once when landing an overweight 40% in a 3 point stance caught the tailwheel on a crabgrass stub right at the paved runway apron which acted like a arrestor cable and slammed the main gear down on the runway... broke one axel and bent the other... my fault!

Others have mentioned axles breaking in the air and a couple comments on takeoff. Happened to me. H9 Sukhoi has a very tall arched aluminum gear from the factory. Flew the WR Package with brakes on it for several years, hundreds of flights no problem. Then put a Graph tech carbon gear on it and lost an axle and wheel on the 3rd flight on climb out from take off. Assumed it was a fluke or stress damage from the many many previous flights and put a new WR wheel and axle on it but also removed the brakes. 2nd flight on new axle it departed on takeoff as before. Replaced it with a 1/4 Dubro and no further problem.

I'm no engineer but I felt that there was some sort of harmonic that a Specific RPM, Angle of attack and the specific length and structure of the CF gear was sufficient to create a condition that could fracture the axle with no other load on it. They both broke/fractured right at the beginning of the axle where the hub ends.

Just put a new set of WR axles brakes and wheels on my EF 125 Extra and happy to report no issues and the have stopped the bending of the axles previously on the plane.

Just my experiences and will continue to use them.
bmclaughlin is offline Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
Last edited by bmclaughlin; 11-01-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
28x Fanboy
United States, KS, Topeka
Joined May 2014
274 Posts
I love my WR 5" wheels on titanium axles. I do get a little nervous about those clips, but I run with clips in both slots for a little piece of mind. I do wish I had ordered them with the threaded ends. Running on an Extreme Flight 104" MXS. Never any issues, even had a bad landing that broke the CF gear. Axles survived and are still going strong.
Mr. Scary is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
Old 10-31-2019, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,223 Posts
axles breaking

Very interesting bmclaughlin and I believe you are absolutely correct on your composite landing gear theory.
That's what I had on my Carden Pro when the axles came apart in the air (both of them). It was the absolute weirdest experience. I took off with everything in tact. When I cam in on the landing approach, I was astonished to see that I had no wheels.
Luckily, this was in Florida and the field had a sand/grass surface. I was able to land with minimal damage.
Seems to me, the real question here is; Is it worth the incredibly small weight saving to take the chance on damaging a very valuable plane. Very hard to justify.
I'd really like to see Vern offer an alternative steel axle. I know they would be of high quality.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 10-31-2019, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,191 Posts
the best axles for 40% and less RC. I have used them for years and keep the oem axles for gifts at the field. the "E" clip will pop off if you don't add a spot of silicon to it after assembly. old RC car/Heli trick is the silicon on screws and nuts attaching them to prevent backing out or popping off. works for me
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 10-31-2019, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Mar 2008
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
Very interesting bmclaughlin and I believe you are absolutely correct on your composite landing gear theory.
That's what I had on my Carden Pro when the axles came apart in the air (both of them). It was the absolute weirdest experience. I took off with everything in tact. When I cam in on the landing approach, I was astonished to see that I had no wheels.
Luckily, this was in Florida and the field had a sand/grass surface. I was able to land with minimal damage.
Seems to me, the real question here is; Is it worth the incredibly small weight saving to take the chance on damaging a very valuable plane. Very hard to justify.
I'd really like to see Vern offer an alternative steel axle. I know they would be of high quality.
My issue seemed isolated to very specific CF landing gear combination.

All my current WR Wheel, Brake, Axles are on CF Gear. My Sukhoi was the only Aluminum gear application I had mounted one on.

In my case I prefer using this axle I can't bend and it allows my use of brakes.
bmclaughlin is offline Find More Posts by bmclaughlin
Last edited by bmclaughlin; 11-01-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:29 PM
Joined Feb 2014
203 Posts
I have WR wheels on all my 40%er's. Airman wheels on my 35%. The Airman wheels are nice to but the sealed bearing makes for a very fast roll.
I have the TI axles on all.

If anyone has a WR brake setup they might want to part with I'd be interested.
Thanks
Scott

Quick Reply